Australia: Changes to motorized bicycle rules

GoldenMotor.com

HybriPed

Sep 17, 2008
Hobart, Australia
Calling all Aussies: Rules affecting power-assisted bicycles are under review.

The main changes proposed are: to increase the power output to 250 watts; emphasise that this is the maximum continuous rated power; that the power is measured at the wheel; and that the power output cuts off at a speed no greater than 25 km/h or sooner if the cyclist stops pedalling. It also allows slow-speed assist, ie the motor may operate without the rider pedalling up to a speed of 6km/h. Overall, this aligns the specifications with power assisted pedal cycles supplied in Europe, and the paper recommends using the European Standard EN 15194 as a 'deemed to comply' technical document.

The matter is tabled for discussion at a meeting of the Australian Road Rules Maintenance Group, to be held in Western Australia this week.The proposed rules affect the future of MBs in Australia.

I suggest that MAB enthusiasts in Australia form an association to progress this.

I have posted a lot of stuff on my website HybriPed.com. - please look at it and send me an email if you are interested in this matter.

wog383

Oct 11, 2009
Australia
Re: Australia: Changes to MB rules

Calling all Aussies: Rules affecting power-assisted bicycles are under review.

The main changes proposed are: to increase the power output to 250 watts; emphasise that this is the maximum continuous rated power; that the power is measured at the wheel; and that the power output cuts off at a speed no greater than 25 km/h or sooner if the cyclist stops pedalling. It also allows slow-speed assist, ie the motor may operate without the rider pedalling up to a speed of 6km/h. Overall, this aligns the specifications with power assisted pedal cycles supplied in Europe, and the paper recommends using the European Standard EN 15194 as a 'deemed to comply' technical document.

The matter is tabled for discussion at a meeting of the Australian Road Rules Maintenance Group, to be held in Western Australia this week.The proposed rules affect the future of MBs in Australia.

I suggest that MAB enthusiasts in Australia form an association to progress this.

I have posted a lot of stuff on my website HybriPed.com. - please look at it and send me an email if you are interested in this matter.
today I got booked riding a unlicensed bike cause the pommy copper thought it is too powerful. All I want is to be able to ride in peace from point a to b. Australia continuaously complains about human rights in China. Well the communist don't seem to mind the hua sheng 4 strokes like the so called democratic ANZAC loving aussie kangaroos. In Australia, we live in a land of regulations as you can'ty do this or that due to safety. We may as well put safety nets where ever we go.
I hate my parents for why I was born in Australia

wog383

Oct 11, 2009
Australia

today I got booked riding a unlicensed bike cause the pommy copper thought it is too powerful. All I want is to be able to ride in peace from point a to b. Australia continuaously complains about human rights in China. Well the communist don't seem to mind the hua sheng 4 strokes like the so called democratic ANZAC loving aussie kangaroos. In Australia, we live in a land of regulations as you can't do this or that due to safety. We may as well put safety nets where ever we go.
I hate my parents for why I was born in Australia
All south east asia and USA and Canada seem to approve of these bikes. No wonder why all the intelligent people like engineers leave Australia. It is inbred big time and hates inovation

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee

All south east asia and USA and Canada seem to approve of these bikes. No wonder why all the intelligent people like engineers leave Australia. It is inbred big time and hates inovation
wog that is not exactly true , some places in USA are not that stringent , some places don't care what it is they just want it registered to get you $ ,
some places have a big grey area that can go either way , but in most states i have checked , you do need a valid DL , some require registration and insurance , most have set speeds that range from 20 to 30 MPH , most have a limit on CC's and power like under 48 cc's and 2 brake horsepower , my state says that it can't be integrated into the bike ? so i guess that means no in-frame motors ? i am told in Canada and i think new york only e-bikes are allowed , so they care a lot and as more bikes hit the road they will care even more , i have no idea what the regs are in china ?

wog383

Oct 11, 2009
Australia

wog that is not exactly true , some places in USA are not that stringent , some places don't care what it is they just want it registered to get you $ ,
some places have a big grey area that can go either way , but in most states i have checked , you do need a valid DL , some require registration and insurance , most have set speeds that range from 20 to 30 MPH , most have a limit on CC's and power like under 48 cc's and 2 brake horsepower , my state says that it can't be integrated into the bike ? so i guess that means no in-frame motors ? i am told in Canada and i think new york only e-bikes are allowed , so they care a lot and as more bikes hit the road they will care even more , i have no idea what the regs are in china ?
I guess if people stop driving cars and more use petrol or electric bicycles, govt don't get the revenue. It's all about being able to make money out of you, that is the way of the so called capitalism western world. To require a license is unfair as those who lost their licence and can't rely on public transport for work will suffer trying to live a very basic life. Govt that can't see this point of view are actually our enemy trying to stop us living. Govt complains about too many cars on the road and pollution. Power assisted bicycles are far more fuel efficient and less pollution. It is cheaper to build cycle paths and maintain them than roads, but mechanics, fuel companies, auto shops etc will suffer big time if we all switched to power assisted bicycles.
As for the environment, humans and nature will never co exist peacefully as profits will always come first.

wog383

Oct 11, 2009
Australia

I think we need a voice to express our views to the local authority. In Australia, I do not know off any motorized bicycle club. A united group to have their views heard should have some impact. I can understand that their are thousands in the USA. You should all get together and lobby your local reps in each state to have a single agreeable law on power assisted bicycles without a need for a licence.
I wonder if they paid a licence for horses before cars were around

Last edited:

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee

i agree Wog , being able to make money off of you and to restrict freedom of movement is what it is all about , i don't like politics , and political discussions are not allowed in this forum , but life really is all about politics , you can't walk to the end of the street with out it affecting your life or decisions , i use to think the rest of the world was not my concern , but i watch world affairs more closely now and i have decided we are not that much different , we have the same problems , i can't afford to put petrol in my motorcycles for joy riding , and just forget the car , the bicycle is the only stress reliever i have left and it is also cheap transportation , we need to all band together and voice our opinions , the designer of the Internet had the dream it would bring people closer together and promote peace amongst all nations , lets use the net for that ..

Keith

wog383

Oct 11, 2009
Australia

i agree Wog , being able to make money off of you and to restrict freedom of movement is what it is all about , i don't like politics , and political discussions are not allowed in this forum , but life really is all about politics , you can't walk to the end of the street with out it affecting your life or decisions , i use to think the rest of the world was not my concern , but i watch world affairs more closely now and i have decided we are not that much different , we have the same problems , i can't afford to put petrol in my motorcycles for joy riding , and just forget the car , the bicycle is the only stress reliever i have left and it is also cheap transportation , we need to all band together and voice our opinions , the designer of the Internet had the dream it would bring people closer together and promote peace amongst all nations , lets use the net for that ..

Keith
anyone in wa or other states of Australia had any issues with police and motorized bicycles?