cheap spring loaded tensioner $5

GoldenMotor.com

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego
Yet another chain tensioner solution. I took one idea using a piece of 1/8” x 2” x 36” aluminum flat bar from Home Depot and some gas tank clamps from NAPA coupled with a nifty “Sunlite single speed chain guide” with build-in tensioner (used to guide tandem bike chains) and put it together. The spring seems about the right tension to take out excess slack. I’m using it with a 4G T-Belt Huasheng 4 stroke, so I’m not having the “engine brake” issues. I only have about 50 miles on the set-up; however, everything looks good. I tried the Tractor Supply guide; however, it was so wide, the chain kept jumping off the sprocket – didn’t really guide it.

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
OK, here are the pictures showing the "Sunlite Single speed Chain Guide" and my installation. You can google Sunlite to get more details. The guide runs about $25.00.
not safe !!!!!! i had one on one of my bikes the plastic teeth broke too pieces back whee lock up at 35mph was not a good day!!!!!!!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
re: twisted spokes.

I've run wheels like that. The photo tricks your eyes. They simply pulled spokes from the same flange of the hub, diametrically opposed on that flange, and twisted them to reduce the effective length. The wheels can actually be pretty strong if the spokes are decent quality, and never bent abruptly during the build. They can be trued fairly easily if you are used to truing wheels, and make small (1/8 to 1/4 turn" adjustments, and adjust both spokes in a pair at each turn of the wheel.

re: Tractor Supply tensioner. I like this idea
http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6610&d=1209771852
thread: MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum - View Single Post - Spring Return Chain Tensioner

Its the Tractor baja bike roller mounted on the seat tube, nearer the engine. Tony Mier's idea looks ok too, but the longer run of chain from the roller to the cog in the above design, might account for more reliable lining up with the cog.

I like the idea of the roller leading from its mount into the direction the chain runs, versus against the direction of the chain operation.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Photobucket and Tinypic suck!!!! They deleted my whole album and then hacked the links to put offensive pictures where all I had posted, as a reply to my complaint about deleting the album for no specific reason.

Try picturehosting.com So far they have not done anything like that. cvlt1

Opps! I tried Paul's (Carribean Cruiser) method of posting pics using PhotoBucket and I failed. Guess I need another lesson.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I really like the KORE style one. Is it made to handle the chain speeds of these bikes? Can it handle 415 chains or only the BMX style chains?

I want to buy this product, but the shipping was $13 for ups ground, at the site you linked. If I can't find it elsewhere for the same overall price, I'll get it. This looks hot!

KORE makes lots of BMX and DH stuff, so I expect its probably made for DH. What a find.

I still have my Baja Sports/TSC roller in the package, and may take it back to order the KORE.

Have you seen that actually on a bike?

I'm still thinking that maybe just welding the stock idler bracket onto the old beach bike is the way to go. Those are only $10 and will probably roll for ages.

word, great idea and effectivness, but its not kustom, its rigged. check it... Chain Tensioner - Kore Silver - Choppers U.S., LLC or Chain Tensioner - Singulator - Choppers U.S., LLC i have the kore one, its spring loaded and is adjustable , the singlerator is bad ass and is adjustable as well. they look very nice and can be mounted fairly simple. the kore can be mounted to a seat or chain stay quickly. thought you might like......

Last edited:

gian

Jun 30, 2009
vancouver
haha....just want to let you know guys that the spring loaded that i made is working good now i had it for a month running at 35mph-40mph doesnt have a problem at all. the only thing is you really need to use pullstart otherwise you gonna have hard time to bump start it. and always check the tension of the spring. if it get loose cut off about 1/2inch on the spring every month.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Thanks, Bike Joe.

I ordered the KORE tensioner from Ebikestop.com for less $. Waiting eagerly for parts.

I think a good cheap solution is to locate one of the $10 standard roller idlers on each side and weld into place.

Whatever you do, be careful and have a good ride. We are pioneering these things!

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
word, great idea and effectivness, but its not kustom, its rigged. check it... Chain Tensioner - Kore Silver - Choppers U.S., LLC or Chain Tensioner - Singulator - Choppers U.S., LLC i have the kore one, its spring loaded and is adjustable , the singlerator is bad ass and is adjustable as well. they look very nice and can be mounted fairly simple. the kore can be mounted to a seat or chain stay quickly. thought you might like......
Im diggin that kore. dang you man, now im gonna go broke again lool, the second one. i like better. BUT hte jore to me is more usabledance1

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I have the Kore chain tensioner, new with packaging, not even used for 1 ride. I will sell it for $25 including shipping (USPS priority mail) to 48 States.

I can't use it on my bike build. I don't know how you used one on yours, but more power to you. The part looks very nice, but does me no good.

Black color, new $25 shipped to US 48 continental states.

mohdoggies@yahh00

Im diggin that kore. dang you man, now im gonna go broke again lool, the second one. i like better. BUT hte jore to me is more usabledance1

Last edited:

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
I have the Kore chain tensioner, new with packaging, not even used for 1 ride. I will sell it for $25 including shipping (USPS priority mail) to 48 States.

I can't use it on my bike build. I don't know how you used one on yours, but more power to you. The part looks very nice, but does me no good.

Black color, new $25 shipped to US 48 continental states.

mohdoggies@yahh00
Hehe i WANT it. will have to se how much $$ i have available friday, BUT if still there. i want it