Motor bike no peddle Electric??

GoldenMotor.com

Dancfi

Feb 28, 2010
Macedon NY
Hi All !

I am new here and want advice on a NO PEDDLE motor bike conversion. Just had kne replacement and not sure I will ever be able to peddle a bike again. I have a very comfy recubant bike that I would like to ride to my job everyday,About 2 miles each way. So... what is the easiest conversion? What is the cheapest ?
Thanks!
Dan

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
well. im not so sure about cheap, or easy. but i have been eying this kit for my mountain bike. and they have a mount for a recumbent as well. i assume you still have the pedals installed.

EcoSpeed, Worlds Best Electric Assist

the nice thing here is the use of your recumbent's gearset. and you could use it as a sort of physio therapy by pedaling occasionaly.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Never say never. I was hit by a drunk driver 12 years ago, and they said I would never have more than 50% use of my left leg. Now I ride "regular" bicycles as much as I do the motorized bikes. My longest trip was with my 35 year old 10 speed bike and my 25 year old son in law. 63 miles! So, get the electric when you find the right one, and keep your head up.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Hi Dancfi, welcome to Motorbicycling. I am in NY also.
How about a Curry motor set-up adapted to your bike, they are loud though (straight cut gears) . I looked at a e-bike conversion kit (at ezipusa.com) but for 400$ you can buy a whole e-zip elsewhere!
Over on the Endless Sphere forum, a couple of months ago, a guy built a friction drive using a scooter motor (in the non-hub section) (I use scooter motors) - looked good and low cost, BUT you gotta do the fabricating.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Just for the record the bicycle I bought three or four years ago gave me my mobility back. It retrained and rerouting signals in my screwed up brain. So like they say never give up. As for converting a bike, I still like the cheapness of the rear wheel from a scooter riding on top of the bikes rear wheel not much to that one. Not for everybody but I love mine. It's a great DIY ebike and dirt cheap.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Your 2 mile commute is the same as mine. I use a Curry system with a 24V 450 watt geared motor and a 24v 12ah battery pack. The kits they sell usually includes a 24v 10ah pack. If you don't have any significant hills, this should be plenty to get you a round trip with no pedaling. You can reach speeds between 15 to 20 mph depending on your weight. You can always buy a second pack for back up. They both install in their rear rack and a switch controls which battery you use.

Btw, my pack is 2 12v 12ah batteries in a cordura nylon mini backpack I found at Walmart. Just have to rig it to hang on your rear bike rack. I happened to have a set of old, nylon panniers and simply swapped out the hardware. The "commercial" battery pack is a hard case and can only hold 2 12v 10ah batteries or smaller. A second pack would be good insurance if you also plan on running errands along the way.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi dan. Used to live in Johnstown NY.

I've had both knees replaced in the past year and I know how you feel. Building an Ebike
myself. Peddaling a stationary bike at the moment but it does help. Putting a sidecar on mine because of balance problems.

Look up the Endless Sphere site. They are an electric bike/vehicle site and they can help you as they have me.

Steve.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hi dan. Used to live in Johnstown NY.

I've had both knees replaced in the past year and I know how you feel. Building an Ebike
myself. Peddaling a stationary bike at the moment but it does help. Putting a sidecar on mine because of balance problems.

Look up the Endless Sphere site. They are an electric bike/vehicle site and they can help you as they have me.

Steve.
I gave sidecar some thought as well, but it proved to be difficult for me to rig, so the trailer turned out to be the best way for me to go. You can rig one with two mounts one on each side and it becomes a kind of trike but with four wheels not three. I had one rigged like that as well. A pusher trailer is also good for balance issues.

kilowatt

Dec 2, 2009
Maryland
Dan,

Another site to check out is Ampedbikes.com. Danny sells a geared 36 volt system with batteries (36 volt 12 amp) that many have put on recumbents. I purchased the electricrider.com Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery brackets and leather bags to hold mine but the system comes with a carrier rack and bag. Check it out.

Dave

Last edited:

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
Dave,

I know nothing about Electric kits.... Thinking about trying one out.... Do you know anything about amped bikes (do you have one?) or their reputation.... This stuff is pretty expensive, so I just want to try and make a somewhat informed decision. Thanks

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
Never say never. I was hit by a drunk driver 12 years ago, and they said I would never have more than 50% use of my left leg. Now I ride "regular" bicycles as much as I do the motorized bikes. My longest trip was with my 35 year old 10 speed bike and my 25 year old son in law. 63 miles! So, get the electric when you find the right one, and keep your head up.
With neuropathy and PAD in my legs, my pefaling days are over. i cna pedal enough to start my moto. BUT thats about it. to he OP youve got a chance. keep hte pedals there. and once in a while use them if youre up to it. can also get a stationary bicycle trainer as well. your recumbent sits still on rollers, and your motor, OR pedals will roll the back tire

Happy Jack

Apr 18, 2010
USA
On the Amped kits, I would give them a Neutral rating . Slick salesmanship, average performance, high price, normal troubles.

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
That "best" electric conversion is a COMPLETE RIPOFF...

DONT BUY IT
A small Kit that you can add to your bike, costs somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 to 300 bucks.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
FYI, to the OP.
In NY an "electric" motorized bike is considered a NON REGISTERABLE vehicle and is BANNED by NY law..

Here it is directly from the DMV site..

Motorized Scooters, Mini-Bikes, Dirt Bikes, Go-Karts, Motor Assisted Bicycles
You cannot register any of the motorized devices from the list below in NYS. You cannot operate these devices on sidewalks, public streets or highways in NYS. These devices are motor vehicles, but they do not have the correct equipment or design for operation on roadways.

•Motorized Scooter - a device with a motor attached and a handlebar for a standing rider. An example of a motorized scooter is the device called the Go-ped®.
•Mini-bike - a small, motorized device with two wheels and created for off-road use. A mini-bike does not qualify as a moped, a motorcycle or an ATV.
•Dirt Bike - a motorized device like a motorcycle, but created for and used for off-road use. Some "dirt bikes" qualify as an ATV. These vehicles can register and operate off-road as an ATV.
•Go-Kart - a small, motorized device with four wheels, created for off-road use. You cannot register a go-kart as a motor vehicle or ATV because a go-kart does not have the same equipment.
•Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle does not qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and does not have the same equipment.
These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. You are subject to arrest if you operate one of these motorized vehicles and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment. The DMV can not provide any information about operation of these devices on private property.