need sombody with knowledge

GoldenMotor.com

wantabike2009

Jan 9, 2010
illinois
hello to any one out there that can help me im wanting to build and electric bike dont have that much money so i need a conversion kit for my exsiting bike that i have if anyone out there can help me by giving me any insight to where to start i live in east central Illinois so there are not many places that have the stuff im looking for and once again im on a budget please help me

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wanta,
Welcome to the forum. I'm not an electric guy so I can't offer much technical help but you'll be hearing from some of our volt/amp guys soon enough. Keep us informed on your build.
Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Look up Deacons threads on here. He is a whiz at making e-bikes with not a lot of money and he is always willing to help.

You might also want to look up the Endless - Sphere site. They have a lot of people doing e-bikes and are there to help.

Steve.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hi and welcome.
Before you build decide what you want to do with it. That will make a huge difference in what you need to build.
In my case I ride mine to run errands but i live almost downtown. My longest trip for bike parts or groceries would be six miles round trip. I can do that riding it like a motorcycle so I don't worry much about pedal assist. Most of my pedaling is done on startup and hills, otherwise I just ride mine.

Now as to a kit it is much cheaper to put your own kit together. That said you run into about three general type propulsion systems. One is the hub motor. They are a bit expensive, and I had bad experiences with mine. I don't recommend them but some guys do so give them a thought. The second system is an electric motor and that runs the rear wheel like a scooter. You can buy a kit from Currie I am told. The third is a friction drive system. Okay you can also give the pusher trailer a thought.

The cheapest thing is to build your own. An electric drill is about the most exotic tool needed. Well you need a way to cut the metal to size. A hack saw will do that for you. The truly easiest is the Rhino drive(,my term) With that you use a scooter rear wheel, mounted over the rear bike wheel. The power comes from a scooter motor, which hangs off the side, secured to the scooter wheel axle, it uses a scooter controller and throttle. All those things are easy to find on ebay.

There is a dealer on ebay named stewie. he has the rear wheel assembly and the motor mount. Most any currie three bolt motors will fit it. They come in all kinds of watts. the best is 500 or more. Those motors will run at 24v 36v or even 48v. I find 36v the best. but you should match your controller to the watts and volts you want to use.

If you want I'll give you detailed directions to make the build. I think this forums sister an energy forum still has my directions for a pusher trailer on it. The pusher is a good system but I little more complicated to build.

Whatever you decide good luck. The biggest mistake I have made over the years is starting with too small a motor. pedal assist sounds good to tree huggers, but it is a pain trust me.

Last edited:

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
Welcome wb2009. I second what Deacon and Pablo say. I've stayed away from ebike kits and hub motors. If you are handy with tools you can do an ebike pretty cheap. I had 2 beater bikes given to me and bought a new motor, sprocket, SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries and misc electrical parts for less than $150 (including shipping) and I have a 3 speed ebike that will easily go 15 miles hilly miles with moderate pedal assist and will do 20 mph on the flats. If you're good at scrounging, you may be able to find a motor or even a whole scooter on Craigslist, Freecycle or the local 2nd hand shops. Later, if you want to, you can step up to Lithium batteries for better power to weight and longer life, but that's a whole nother issue. Keep us posted on what you're doing - jd

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
See if you can find a cheap scooter, and do a similar deal like Deacon. maybe you could use the whole rear part of the scooter riding on the bike wheel.
I used the components (250 w motor, sprockets and chain) to make an e-bike on my Mongoose. Didn't use a controller or throttle- just an on / off switch, geared to go about 13 mph- my "faster" pedal bike speed.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Yep. Like the Prof says. Keep your eye on Craigslist for used electric scooters. I've scored 2 of them. Each cost me less than the price for a new battery pack so I basically bought them for the batteries. One of the scooters has a 500 watt motor and plan on using it on a bike after my daughter gets tired of the scooter. Btw, the scooters will also have a controller and throttle control so you'll have just about everything you'll need to mount to a bike.

Also watch for used ebikes being sold. I got my Curry set up for about $250 which included the bike. I now have it all mounted on another bike that I feel more comfortable riding.

wantabike2009

Jan 9, 2010
illinois
ok here is a question what do i do about the sprocket i would need if i mount a motor on my bike to run it where do i find just a rear rim with a single left sprocket and 5 sprockets on the right like the ezip bikes have

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
ok here is a question what do i do about the sprocket i would need if i mount a motor on my bike to run it where do i find just a rear rim with a single left sprocket and 5 sprockets on the right like the ezip bikes have
Monster Scooter Parts | Scooter Battery, Scooter Parts, Scooter Chargers has the Izip 26" Curry rear wheel assemble on sale right now. $85 compared to the regular price of $120. You'd have to check with them to see just what it includes. I'd think it already has the freewheel sprocket already installed. You just have to find your own gear cluster to install on the other side. Any bike shop can do this in 5 minutes and a couple of bucks.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If you go to the rear wheel direct mount, you are going to want to buy a geared motor I think. If I'm not mistaken the scooter motor run at rpms too high for a bike wheel. I maybe wrong about that though. The gearing thing is why I used the rear assembly as a friction drive.

kilowatt

Dec 2, 2009
Maryland
Wb2009,

I am an advocate of kits for the new builder. That is how I got started. If you could buy a conversion kit complete with batteries for around $475.00 including shipping would you be interested? Hub motor (brushless) technology is the latest and most efficient available. Go to Ampedbikes.com for one source in California. There are many others.

KiloWatt

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
WEll I grant you this hub motors are by far the coolest looking of them all. New builders almost always give looks a very high mark. So in that respect a new building would probably be happier with a hub motor conversion kit. Could probably gain some satisfaction from DIY as well. So that isn't a bad alternative.

Still don't be lured by the 24v 250 amp kits. They power is so poor that you would be just as well off with a good egg beater bike. Err that's my opinion only.

kilowatt

Dec 2, 2009
Maryland
Yes, DIY is very cool and I do it all the time on many projects; some good, and some bad. I have been using brushless motors for a long time on my RC airplanes and when I saw the technology going into bikes, I had to experience it ASAP.

After my first conversion, I look for DIY exclusively but my kit is still "Passing Gas." I thought about creating a decal with a guy flying by sitting on a battery holding his nose with that quote. Good luck on your build wb2009. No shortage of help here!

Kilowatt