what kind of lock-tight should i use

GoldenMotor.com

rimotorbiker

Jun 1, 2009
Rhode Island
So i went to harbor freight and bought my heavy duty chain breaker for 10 bucks great deal for my upcoming build and right near it was the lock tight they have different strengths not sure witch one to get any suggestions?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Like Joe says. Use blue if you plan on taking it apart at some point. Red is the permenant type. Can only be removed when heated with a torch if you are lucky.

John

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
eDJ posted a very comprehensive study of the various Loctite products a while back but I can't find that thread. Maybe he'll see this and respond. However, what the other guys said is correct' the blue will allow disassembly but the other two will make taking things apart very difficult, if not impossible without thread damage unless you use heat. This is especially true with cast aluminum and steel fasteners.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Blue is a serviceable lock tight meaning no torches or magic curse words to work on it. Red means pure he@# if you ever need to work on it

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Definitely Blue in the HT motors because most studs and bolts are made of low grade material. Chances are if you use red, you might snap the stud.