OCC stingray chopper motor question

GoldenMotor.com

OCC

Aug 15, 2012
wisconsin

klapool

Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin
I built a mount using a plate from a lawn tractor hitch and used 2 pieces of bike down tube. then welded it to the frame of the OCC.

The exhaust I got wouldnt fit so i made an exhaust but it is causing the engine to 4 stroke. So we (my son and I) are going to build a home made exhaust.

Here is the thread of it getting going...

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=41626

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
well, yes, you'll need a custom engine mount, and a whole lot more.
you'll need the mount which offsets the engine to the left so the chain will clear the fat rear tire.
you'll need a custom exhaust (make one or buy one), you'll need about 8 more links of engine chain, you'll need to modify the rear sprocket to work (or buy a sprocket adapter). you may even want to drop to a 36 tooth rear sprocket because a 44 tooth is a bit too big and you won't get a whole lot of top end speed out of it. (i have a 41 tooth on mine and my top speed is right around 30 mph)
you'll need to modify the rear brake caliper and left side brake shoe to work. you might want to add a front brake because the occ caliper brakes are terrible.
you'll need to make a mount for the kit supplied gas tank or make a better looking tank with your own mount.
you'll want to put a different seat on the bike because the occ seat is the worst thing ever made. you'll have to make a better chain tensioner because the kit supplied ones are junk and it won't work well at all on the occ frame.
you'll want to invest in a set of rear wheel chain adjusters and you will have difficulty getting the pedal chain and the engine chain to both be adjusted right. one will be too tight, while the other will be too loose. (this is where a custom chain tensioner and the rear wheel chain adjusters will come in handy).

dissasemble the bike before you even start to put the engine on.
check, every bearing, clean the junk grease off of them and re-grease them with a high quality wheel bearing grease. the rear wheels on the occ bikes have been known to lock up due to lack of grease. you're better off removing the factory junk grease and packing the bearings with high quality grease.
you'll have to make something to limit the turning radius of the front forks so the handle bars don't hit the gas tank when they're turned all the way.

I know this sounds like a lot, but please don't expect to buy an engine kit and a custom mount, and throw the bike together in a few hours.
you WILL have to modify and make parts to make everything work and to make it work right.
Please, take your time, build it right and make it look good.
don't do what the majority of people do.....they just throw the thing together and expect it to work great and last (especially with an occ). almost every occ i;ve seen is a cookie cutter (they all look the same), so do something different and make it unique.
these bikes have the potential to look super slick when they are put together right, with the right parts.
invest in some blue loc-tite and use it. Invest in some better nuts & bolts while you're at it.
don't waste your time stripping down the engine (my opinion).
here's my occ...

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
I would tear down and rebuild the motor I had one clutch bearing on each motor I got that had imo a bad bearing.

The time and money spent was worth the piece of mind.

BigE

Nov 5, 2011
Hohenwald, TN. USA
I wouldn't waste my time tearing down the engine. I have bought and mounted a bunch of them. I haven't had one that has needed tearing down . They may be built like crap but they are simple and cheap. All of the ones I have put on are still running good and I buy them off of EBay. They are all whatever I could get for the cheapest price. Sometimes the cheapest ones have better parts than the more expensive ones. The only thing I do is change out those cheap bolts and nuts and get American ones. Other than that, put it together and have fun.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
I wouldn't waste my time tearing down the engine. I have bought and mounted a bunch of them. I haven't had one that has needed tearing down . They may be built like crap but they are simple and cheap. All of the ones I have put on are still running good and I buy them off of EBay. They are all whatever I could get for the cheapest price. Sometimes the cheapest ones have better parts than the more expensive ones. The only thing I do is change out those cheap bolts and nuts and get American ones. Other than that, put it together and have fun.
I agree with you 100% and i did the exact same thing with 4 ebay engines.
all i did was get some american nuts, bolts & washers to replace the cheap china ones that the kits come with.
I didn't change any of the nots bolts or washers on the engine itself, just teh ones that they give you to bolt the parts to the bike.
all 4 engines are running strong today and they are going on almost 5 years old.