50s (?) Murray Monterey

GoldenMotor.com

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
On CL there is a guy selling a Murray Monterey that he says is from the 50s. It is the standard cantilever frame, just like the Cranny I have in the garage. He says it has surface rust only...

It seems that most of those were actually from the 80's and 90's, I would be curious to see if it really was that old.

Nonetheless, are those decent frames for dropping a 66cc HT in? From searching the forums, I see that Venice is not a fan of them, lol. I have yet to see an older Schwinn cantilever frame locally that does not go for a ton, so wondering if this Murray frame would be a decent substitute?

He is asking $75, but since it is completely covered with rust, I was going to see if he would take $40. Even then, is that too much? I am assuming I will only be keeping the frame...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's too much. i see those in CA craigslists for the same price, in perfect shape. and i still wouldn't buy one.

those were made in the 70's and 80's, mostly. they were US made, but were pretty much low-end department store bikes. they rank right up there with older huffy's. just because they're older and US made, doesn't make them good bikes.

this is from wikipedia:

..."Most Murray bicycles were for the youth market, often featuring one-piece steel Ashtabula cranksets and electrically-welded frames using inexpensive seamed or straight-gauge steel tubing. These low-cost parts and materials undercut the prices of Murray's competition, selling millions of bicycles (often with retailer names) to department stores..."

also a 50's and before "murray" would've been badged as a "Mercury." and those were awesome bikes.

edit: same price: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bik/2858839795.html

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Awesome, thanks for the heads-up. I figured that if I was going to go through the trouble of restoring an old frame, might as well do it on one worthwhile.

Thanks again Bairdco!