Share your experiences with police and any or no trouble riding these

GoldenMotor.com

Firechicken

Jun 10, 2010
Calgary
Hey guys I'm new here, just picked up an 80cc kit (I guess thier really 66-68cc, don't know how they round them up and call em 80's lol but anyways) and am now in the market for a good mountain bike with some front shocks (yeah I like the ride quality haha) and get into this cool little hobby/ mode of transportation.

I replyed to the alberta law thread, but I thought I'd ask this in a new thread as this is specific to run-in's with the law only, or at least hastles or trouble in general.

I am wondering if anyone here has had any trouble with the police riding thier motored bicycles. I'd really like to hear everyones storys on thier experiences with riding these. Have you been noticed by the police, hastled, fined ect? Please share your experiences.

do any of you ride on bike paths, roads, sidewalks ect, either only under pedal power or engine ect.

I'm just very curious to hear what everyone has experienced in regards to riding these day in day out, as I myself would like to turn this into my daily errand runner and commuter.

Cheers,

Michael.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Every year we have a community day at the local park and all the "local" po's come. Last year I rode my bike into the park, right up to all of the officers and they just asked the normal questions and every one said that they had better things to do then bother me while I'm riding.

Every officer I've passed no matter where I am (some towns around here are known for their hard a**ed cops) and all of them just wave as I go by.

About two weeks ago I was riding though a town about 15 miles from here and an officer had someone pulled over. The officer and the driver were standing on the passenger side of the driver's car, when I ride by (WOT) the officer actually walked around the car to watch me go past. I look over my shoulder to see him slapping his knees and laughing at me. laff

Firechicken

Jun 10, 2010
Calgary
Every year we have a community day at the local park and all the "local" po's come. Last year I rode my bike into the park, right up to all of the officers and they just asked the normal questions and every one said that they had better things to do then bother me while I'm riding.

Every officer I've passed no matter where I am (some towns around here are known for their hard a**ed cops) and all of them just wave as I go by.

About two weeks ago I was riding though a town about 15 miles from here and an officer had someone pulled over. The officer and the driver were standing on the passenger side of the driver's car, when I ride by (WOT) the officer actually walked around the car to watch me go past. I look over my shoulder to see him slapping his knees and laughing at me. laff
Hi Kevlarr, Thanks for your reply and sharing your experiences, I appreciate it!

About your experiences, thats AWSOME! I'm really glad to hear most of your Police are pretty cool with the idea. I have a feeling I shouldn't have any trouble around here with my police, though I do live in a large city. I think as Long as I ride responsibly, and stay off my bicycle paths I should be OK with the cops too.

Thats funny about the police officer laughing as you went by, it makes me thing alot of them just don't see them as serious problems, which is great. I'm sure there is always the 1 jerk cop that will not like it and throw the book at us, but I think it's a step we have to take to get these noticed and legislated fairly toward us and our little eco friendly hobby/transportation.

Cheers,

Mike.

maxhile

Dec 29, 2010
savannah
I live in Hazlehurst Georgia (a small hicktown) and have only had one incident with the police here regarding my china girl. I have a camaro iroc-z but it hasn't been running for a year and a half so I needed better transportation to and from work till it gets running again. I bought myself a 66cc kit from ebay and a brand new bike from wall-mart. After a couple of months of "beefing" up the engine I got her to go 35 average, tons of fun. After commuting to work with no traffic at 6:00 in the morning for a little while I got a little careless about the popo. One morning I was on the road blazing towards an intersection when the light was yellow and turned red before I crossed it (no traffic at all). Turned down my road to work and pretty blue lights flashed behind me. I stopped the bike and got off, the officer asked if I had a license and I replied "you don't need a license for one of these". The officer said sarcastically "you do if your running red lights", oops. I handed him my license and he went back to his car. After a few minutes he came back and handed me my license and said " I'm giving you a verbal warning, don't run any more red lights, AND GET SOME D*MN LIGHTS OR REFLECTORS BEFORE YOU GET RUN OVER!" I chuckled to myself and continued on to work where everyone had a good laugh about my incident.

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT
In my town of Stafford, Connecticut, all we have are state police. Fore some odd reason, we dont have our own police force, only state police; so if you get stopped here, its the state! Anyway, when I had my bike running I use to pass cops all the time going the opposite direction on the road. One time there was a cop standing in the road talking to a driver he had just pulled over. As I was climbing the hill up the street I was passing the scene and of course he could hear my chugging motor at work. He turned around and stared at me as I scooted on by. I cant be sure, but it looked like he started talking into his jacket. I didnt know if he was reporting me so I just scooted home to a nice flat front tire. I guess the tire was the least of my potential troubles.