Mounting a scooter motor

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Hi every one!
i am currently working on a e-bike and want to know the best way to mount one (and I know
deacon would say pusher so its a maybe, deacon). Any web pages, books, ect ect of how to?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Actually I have moved away from the pusher to the Rhino friction drive... There is a motor that you can buy for thirty bucks from all electronics, the link is around her somewhere that is 600 watts but can be run at 900 watts by adding an extra battery. That one is a good deal. Actually the best deal I have seen.

If you look on ebay now and then you can find a schwinn 350 or 400 rear wheel from a scooter. It will have a motor mount that will work with the motor above. The mount allows the motor to hang from the pusher axle, but if you wanted you could also have it hang from the bike wheel. You would need a sprocket on the bike wheel if you did that. The friction drive is easier.

That should give you an idea. If you want I will give you a set of plans for it. I have been meaning to write one anyway. I have never built an easier friction drive. I use a controller and throttle and 36volt battery packs.

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I should build one of these, heck I've got a complete electric pocket bike (less the drive belt) and one of those sit down e-scooters they used to sell on TV, and a 24v stand up scooter all rescued from the dumpster. Not like I'm short on parts or anything. rotfl

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You want the rear wheel with the small sprocket. The one with the big sprocket will be slow. But with the over powered motor it might not be too bad. It also might climb hills better, though mine climbs just fine.

My problem is power consumption. If i run it fast it eats batteries. I have to pedal it a lot to get any range at all, but then range isn't a priority for me anyway.