Tecumseh 2 cycle Floods, wet plug

GoldenMotor.com

u2smile

Mar 27, 2014
Gulf coast
Hi I bought a zipper kit it came with a Tecumseh 2 cycle 49cc or so. 3.0?
I started it and drove it stopped it started it again. It ran slow as the throttle does not full open the carb, It has that strange hard to reach slide carb thing going. I though trying to sort that out was my big problem until I tried to start it again. Pull pull pull nada, pull the plug wet, the choke is off, brand new engine.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Check the carb... it could be a stuck needle or if it has a high speed adjustment screw at the bottomnof the bowl it may have worked it's way loose making it run too rich and possibly flood. Also check that the float isn't stuck or that nothing is stuck at the float's needle and seat valve preventing it fromnstoppjng the fuel once the float is at the right level.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Been a while since I have worked on a TC200. The 49cc is 2hp. It has a pumper type carb and a very strange plunger throttle set up. It adjustable as I remember by loosening a bolt and the whole plunger assembly slides to control throttle range.
Since it started and stopped could be a problem in the carb with the metering needle/diaphragm.
Pics would be helpful.

u2smile

Mar 27, 2014
Gulf coast
Thank you both I will follow up with pics as able. I have two of these tech engines one runs fine old and beat up. now the new one wants to play...!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yes... pics would help since some carbs are pumpers and others are the float type with an adjustable needle screw to control the main jet mixture.
I would assume the carb you got is the pumper type CB2 is talking about since it's been like 30 years since I had to mess with a Tecumseh

u2smile

Mar 27, 2014
Gulf coast
Here is the thing I went and opened the throttle when it was runnning at full.
I thought the same thing adj. But with it fully open and reaching in and trying to push the slide mech on this futher there was no futher. I will have to see about the whole slide being moved. I hate this engine. I like the jiffy kits though.
Seems they do not make them any more. I have a bikebug old style, that will fire with a few drops in the cylinder, anyone have a prob with the fuel pump? I had this die before but it was always a clogged carb, cleaned all new hoses, blew all out.
She will run for the amout of fuel dropped in but no go.
We gave up horses why?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That screw in the top of the cable assb. Its a limit I believe. Try it. These are excellent little engines hang in there with it. Have you disassembled the carb. If it has been sitting awhile the metering needle will/can stick in its seat allowing no fuel to the carbs running circuit even though the fuel pump side may be working.

u2smile

Mar 27, 2014
Gulf coast
Well I went and spent a bunch of time looking at the carb and the adj and I am confused this is one odd setup. I went and dropped in fresh fuel, no promer bulb.
I dropped a bit in the cylinder. cleaned the plug and it will start, but like the damn bikebug, it will not feed. One has all new bits the other brand new.
Anyone know what and how to make a replacement diaphram for a bug fuel pump of some thing like that.?
I have 5 engines not running to 2 that do.
clutch springs for a 54 mm clutch?

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
The problem with the TCII is the silly air vane governor:

Tecumseh had a background in mower engines, and thought it needed one.

Many trimmer / blower / brushcutter carbs will fit on that block. Some drop on, others need little mods.

This is the rotary barrel carb from a piston port pocket bike / brushcutter:

It has a 15mm bore, instead of that little 10mm venturi on the original carb. The idle screw hits the fan case, but a quick zing with a dremel tool on the case will make it fit. The bigger bore gives a performance boost too.

This is a Walbro I had laying on the bench. There are many similar units on landscaping equipment:

There are Walbro / Zama carbs on most of the 30cc Homelite string trimmers with 10 to 12mm venturi and the same mounting bolt spacing. All of them are set up for cable operation, and have primer bulbs. Air cleaner mount laying in the background in that pic.

Lots of choices for the carb swap.

Have any pics of the carb / pump on the bug?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I think they eliminated the air vane on the bike engines in favor of a straight pull, spring return. I have seen a few that way. I believe surging was an issue.

u2smile

Mar 27, 2014
Gulf coast
FFV8 Thank you that carb was is a nightmare. I did not think about one of my old HS carbs fitting on it. I can get it to start with a drop in the hole I can smell gas in the muffler if I choke it and pull, but dam if it will run.
I will post what I find.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
U2smile,
Way to go!

FFV8,
Regarding the Bikebug motor, carb and pump. If the gas tank was located above the engine why couldn't it be gravity feed? Or would it have to have the pump to work? I'll try to remember to dig out a bug engine for a look at the carb and take a couple of pictures. I can't remember what it looks like. It has been a number of years since I fooled with one. The fuel pump was a major problem with those motors, especially when they sat without running for any length of time and the fuel supply parts dried up. When they ran, they ran well and were both designed and built well. They were just 26cc but were just right for a pedal assist on an old 3 speed bike. Pretty quiet, too.
SB