mixing ratio

GoldenMotor.com

SABELO

Apr 2, 2014
south africa
hellow world my i am sabelo all the way from South Africa . whats the best mixing ratio on a 80cc generic motto? if possible please break down to how much 2 stroke must be added to how many liters.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined us.

The kit instructions usually tell you to mix your fuel and oil to a ratio of 16:1. We've found that to be too much oil. The drawbacks are often fouled spark plugs, clogged exhaust and poor running. We typically recommend a mix of 24 to 32:1. That means 24 parts gasoline (petrol) to 1 part oil. Or 32 parts gas to 1 part oil. "Part" means measurement. Either gallons, ounces, or in your case, liters.

I don't have a metric conversion handy but you should be able to figure your mix ratio by converting "parts" to your measurements. Good luck.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
4oz = about 119ml.....however, that's to a US gallon.

So, with the extra conversion, it looks like about 32ml to 1 liter of petrol.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
20 ml to the litre is 50-1
25 ml = 40 to 1
I generally run 40 to 1 Penrite synthetic and make up 2 litres at a time so using 50 ml.
Depending on what part of S A your in it's probably quite tropical as it is here, requiring a little more oil in hot and humid conditions.

Last edited:

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
I started with a 16:1 mix ratio but soon learned it isn't the best mix and the motor runs horrible and everything gets a good dose of foul black oil .

Now I run 32:1 which equates to 32ml of oil per litre , I tend to run it a slight bit lighter and as I mix 2 litres per fill I add 60ml of oil per 2l tank and find it to be a great mix ,the motor runs well and I don't have the exhaust gum up or drip oil ,as Theon said I would tend to run slightly more in the warm weather but here in Melbourne Australia 35-40 Celsius days are few and far between .

So to summarise what we have all said DONT USE THE KIT RECOMMENDED 16:1 and go for 32:1 for breakin , which equates to 32ml of oil per 1 litre of petrol

Regards Henshooter

2strokebke

May 17, 2013
Richmond,Va
I started with a 16:1 mix ratio but soon learned it isn't the best mix and the motor runs horrible and everything gets a good dose of foul black oil .

Now I run 32:1 which equates to 32ml of oil per litre , I tend to run it a slight bit lighter and as I mix 2 litres per fill I add 60ml of oil per 2l tank and find it to be a great mix ,the motor runs well and I don't have the exhaust gum up or drip oil ,as Theon said I would tend to run slightly more in the warm weather but here in Melbourne Australia 35-40 Celsius days are few and far between .

So to summarise what we have all said DONT USE THE KIT RECOMMENDED 16:1 and go for 32:1 for breakin , which equates to 32ml of oil per 1 litre of petrol

Regards Henshooter

Yea, im getting black oil too and its running rought and im using 50.1 is that too much for the breakin period?

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Yea, im getting black oil too and its running rought and im using 50.1 is that too much for the breakin period?
I don't see why ,50:1 is quite a light mix , have you run any other ratio through the motor , 16:1 is like a syrup and will cause the motor to drip and such .

I don't mean to belittle you at all with this statement but which way are you using the conversion or fuel and ml of oil ie oil is 50 parts or fuel is 50 parts ,alot of guys I know thing the larger number is for the oil .

Could the issue be residual oil from a previous mix ?

Regards Henshooter

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just get some Opti2 mix it at 1.3 oz per Gallon, tune the carb for the rich fuel mix and be done with it.... now you have a well performing responsive very clean running engine with almost zero smoke and almost zero oil smell...... thats how I roll and been doing it for the biggest part of the last 4 1/2 years.

Sorry guys as an American I understand and use our measuring system and don't do the metric fluid measurements well so I dont know what that all equals in liters and ml....

Map

SABELO

Apr 2, 2014
south africa
Thanks alot and sorry for the late response, work has been hectic. The gallon to litres measurements tends to get tricky but i always convert it on the net for accuracy. I was using 16:1 all along which made oil drip (as 2strokebke mentioned) from the exhaust and always thought it was normal.

I have recently changed to 32:1 and to my surprise my garage doesn't look like a decoration of 101 dalmations any more, i take it synthetic oil is better than the cheap 2strokes we get from the petrol stations

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks alot and sorry for the late response, work has been hectic. The gallon to litres measurements tends to get tricky but i always convert it on the net for accuracy. I was using 16:1 all along which made oil drip (as 2strokebke mentioned) from the exhaust and always thought it was normal.

I have recently changed to 32:1 and to my surprise my garage doesn't look like a decoration of 101 dalmations any more, i take it synthetic oil is better than the cheap 2strokes we get from the petrol stations
Good deal, yes it is better to use a quality 2 stroke oil, I have no idea what oils are available to you were you live, but a good synthetic or a synthetic blend is better than the cheapo dino oils in my opinion and a good synthetic mix with just a small amount of degummed Castor oil added to it is also an excellent way to insure some extra protection especially in hot climates because castor oil does an excellent job of helping to prevent wear and gaulding at high temps and pressures.

Map
.wee.