Frame building specialty parts!

GoldenMotor.com

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Hi Maniac what have you dragged home lately???? good source for a hearty bank account

said it before- will say it again
want heavy duty bits and pieces for your latest creation- for the best price on this planet round up a good old bmx bike- thrift shop- scrap yard -garage sale- your teenage sons
and cut it to smithereens with your angle grinder- reciprocating saw -circular saw with a metal abrasive wheel or a good old hack saw wear heavy duty work gloves -heavy duty long pants- boots so sparks don't burn your ankles - and a full face protection shield and have fun...

want to put a bend in any of it for tubing extensions/design- make cuts with your cutting device a little more than half way through use a cheater pipe and bend -then cut -then bend- add your desired angle for extension tubing etc,
-weld when done

I drag them home from the scrap yard at 20-25 cents a pound about 5 bucks a piece !!!!!

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yeah buba, but not everyone wants to bother.
This stuff can be a super nice final touch to a build....if you have the means.
I'm like you. I don't buy what I can scrounge, but I figured someone here could use this.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
of course maniac-- that is why i said good source...

forgot to mention long sleeved heavy duty shirt- be mindful of your sparks

and obviously- but will say it anyway- exercise good safety procedures and precautions for whatever you are doing and whatever you are using as your work space...

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I get most of my exercise stomping out welding fires in the shop area.
That, and chasing hardware under the workbench.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I have a serious question. How is it that every time I drop something it rolls under a bench or a shelving unit or a machine, or something? How come it never rolls out in the open where I can easily retrieve it? Ok, that's two questions...

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Murphy's law
Section 347-21-1762a
"All parts dropped shall instantly roll a set distance under the nearest obstacle directly proportionate to the importance of the part dropped"
Not needing the part you drop is the best way to solve this issue.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
my experience with dropped /fumbled whatevers is to always investigate/look first at the most obscure place the object could possible be -- usually it is there!!!

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I work on an old short pile carpet, That helps, but doesn't stop everything from disappearing under ...
But it does help.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I work on an old short pile carpet, That helps, but doesn't stop everything from disappearing under ...
But it does help.
Straying WAY off the topic of frame building parts I work on carpet as well, the whole room, but one of my helpers had a great idea...

Just put one of those thin but wide magnetic sheets they print business signs you can stick to the side of your car or van on, like a frig magnet, under your work area.

3'x4' would be big enough under a bike I would think.
Just food for thought regarding parts and tool escape attempts ;-}

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Havn't seen one in years, they don't stay on your car long from memory, before some one pinches them for a similar purpose no doubt.
I do like all the shiney bits on the web site, but I got most of that stuff already just needs trimming to suit.