Website vendors VS Fleabay

GoldenMotor.com

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
When buying a new kit and/or engine online for building a motorized bike generally people have one of two choices, an online vendor such as those that advertise on this site or an online auction. I personally opted for the online vendor thinking that I would get better equipment at a slightly higher price. But I have read that many good motors have come from ebay also.

I am curious and would like your opinions:

What have you had better luck with in terms of customer service and reliability of equipment, vendors, or ebay?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I buy from whoever has the product I need....as long as they have paypal.....except staton-Inc. I've only had to get 1 refund and paypal got it. And it was not an eBay purchase.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Legitimately the parts you find on the bay are essentially what the vendors sell minus some things here and there...i like ebay, but sometimes its cheaper for a hardware store run or one of the vendors...I'm not very picky , as I know some people are, so maybe thats why I like the bay...or maybe I've been drinking valley water too long...oh and bgf may gey a lot of bad mouthing but I've never once had an issue and I'm pretty close to spending almost a grand total from purchases with him...never once a problem...

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I buy almost exclusivly from ebay, almost. I've dealt with Staton a couple times, No problem. I deal with BGF a lot. Over the years I've spent boocoo bucks with BGF and Rick has always fixed the problems that might arise.
ebay is just too easy to find crap on it. I know most of the venders cause I took a chance the first time with them and it worked out, then ordered from them again, and again, ect.
The ebay buyer plan didn't work out for me this time, xcbob sold me a defective part and wont cover it cause I "used" it. So now it's a used and broken part. He blames the customer for breaking it and says you can't return it the way you got it. WELL, OF COURSE NOT, Ya gotta "USE" it to find out if it works. So, Just saying, be carefull with xcbob.
fatdaddy.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Couple days ago I purchased a disc brake adaptor off eBay from busettibikes and it was $24. I did this because had I bought it from their website it would have been $2 more. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Parts are all pretty much the same, I go for the best price and like the protection I get from PayPal. Never had any issues buying my kits from mingsinternational and rose326 after buying well over twenty kits from the two of them (same company)

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
If things work as it should (in my mind) an online vendor should provide better service than ebay vendorX. I may be all wet, but, I am under the assumption that the sites such as those advertising on motorbicycling.com have personnel that actually get greasy doing this stuff and not just push a pencil (or keys) to make a buck. If I can get in touch with someone that actually does the work it is well worth the extra money (within reason).

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Your driping on the carpet kx. The vendors I deal with do'nt charge you more. And in your mind, well I'll that alone who knows what's in there. LMAO And they don't all do hands on .LOL

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I don't expect a vendor to get their hands greasy, but I do expect them to know their shh.. So if I can't get ahold of a vendor to ask an important question about a product that isn't covered in the product description, they are not getting my money. Plain and simple. Even ebay vendors usually respond to questions, although it may sometimes take a day or two. To answer the original question more specifically, it depends on what part I need. If I were building a kit bike, I would most likely purchase the kit and anything else I may need from ebay. However, I am now driving a custom cruiser that I built up literally piece by piece, starting with a bare frame. I have parts from ebay, agk, other members (my gearbox and adapter were designed by forum members), crow cycles (my kickstand), amazon, and a few parts I picked up at various places. I guess you should get parts wherever the best price is, which sometimes happens to be free.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
I don't expect a vendor to get their hands greasy, but I do expect them to know their shh.. So if I can't get ahold of a vendor to ask an important question about a product that isn't covered in the product description, they are not getting my money. Plain and simple. Even ebay vendors usually respond to questions, although it may sometimes take a day or two. To answer the original question more specifically, it depends on what part I need. If I were building a kit bike, I would most likely purchase the kit and anything else I may need from ebay. However, I am now driving a custom cruiser that I built up literally piece by piece, starting with a bare frame. I have parts from ebay, agk, other members (my gearbox and adapter were designed by forum members), crow cycles (my kickstand), amazon, and a few parts I picked up at various places. I guess you should get parts wherever the best price is, which sometimes happens to be free.
I've Lived around people that does all my life not exclusive salesmen.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I agree Ken.
Does not matter (IMHO) where a product is found, it is better to deal with folks who actually have experience with a product or service.

Have had good and bad experiences with both but again, agree with you, better to deal with some one well experienced.

If things work as it should (in my mind) an online vendor should provide better service than ebay vendorX. I may be all wet, but, I am under the assumption that the sites such as those advertising on motorbicycling.com have personnel that actually get greasy doing this stuff and not just push a pencil (or keys) to make a buck. If I can get in touch with someone that actually does the work it is well worth the extra money (within reason).

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Your driping on the carpet kx. The vendors I deal with do'nt charge you more. And in your mind, well I'll that alone who knows what's in there. LMAO And they don't all do hands on .LOL

A quick phone call and I will know whether a etailer knows their business or not if that's my purpose for calling. I don't expect anyone on auction sites to know anything except how to make money.