What is an acceptable time to wait for warranty replacements?

GoldenMotor.com

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Good Evening,
Just want to get some opinions here. What would you consider an "acceptable" amount of time to wait for warranty replacement parts from a vendor to ship? Here is what I think, let me know your opinions.

1 business day: HOLY CRAP that's fast!
3 business days: Wow that was fast.
5 business days: Sounds about average.
7 business days: Hmm, wonder what's happening, time to contact them.
9 business days: Where are darn parts..
11 business days: This is getting a bit ridiculous.
13 business days: Where are my damn parts!

Unfortunately I am getting above this scale right now waiting for BikeBerry to ship my replacement parts (see http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=43846&page=7). I have contacted them a couple of times asking for info and have been told that they were having trouble finding parts to match my motor, and that they could not give me an estimated time when they could ship but they had not forgotten about me. Well, that is nice to know but the sentiment doesn't get my bike running. I understand crap happens and you can't ship parts due to different issues, but come on it's been almost a month now.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
rock you hardplace

I wouldn't expect it to take over two weeks. Of course, it could be a legit problem somewhere in the supply line. But now you can give them the chance at your continued patronage by offering you: a discount? free parts? store credit? Etc.
Good luck!

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
22 days and still nothing.

More time has passed and still no parts from Bikeberry. I have emailed them, and even chatted with them and STILL cannot get a time frame when my parts will be going out. Here is the chat that I had today with them...

Start Time: 03/01/2013 12:17:12
End Time: 03/01/2013 12:30:16
Operators: Devin
Transcripts:
Please wait for a site operator to respond...
If you do not want to wait, please click here to leave us a message.
Operator Devin has joined the chat.
[12:17:29] Devin: good afternoon, how can I help you today?
[12:18:02] Joshua Dobers: Good afternoon Devin, I would like to check on my RMA 1300040637
[12:18:34] Joshua Dobers: And why, after being told by you and one other on email it hasnt shipped in 20+ days.
[12:19:48] Devin: It should have been shipped, but it looks like it hasn't. I apologize for the inconvenience, but we are matching up the parts and getting them to you as soon as possible.
[12:20:00] Joshua Dobers: No, that will not work.
[12:20:29] Joshua Dobers: As soon as possible? Its already been 20+ days
[12:20:43] Devin: I want to get you the right parts. If we send you parts and they don't fit then we'll have to get them back and size them out all over again
[12:20:59] Joshua Dobers: Good Morning Josh, Unfortunately, it's very difficult for us to have an approximate time frame for when RMA's will ship. This past week has been very hectic here at BikeBerry.com but please rest assure that you are not forgotten about and your replacement parts are currently being processed for shipment. Your parts will be shipped out via Priority Mail which should take 2-3 days to arrive to you. Again, we apologize for the delay in shipment and we are working diligently to get this resolved for you.
[12:21:25] Joshua Dobers: I got this on 2/23
[12:21:29] Devin: Joshua, I understand you're upset and once we ship you parts we will have them expedited
[12:21:57] Joshua Dobers: This email says the parts were already ready for shipping...
[12:22:04] Devin: But it looks like my RMA staff undershot, which I understand is frustrating.
[12:22:17] Joshua Dobers: YOU told me last Wed, that they would ship by the weekend...
[12:22:17] Devin: and I miscalculated as well
[12:22:39] Devin: We're getting you your parts, Joshua, I want to let you know that
[12:22:40] Joshua Dobers: I am getting tired of being jerked around Devin
[12:23:00] Devin: Although it is taking longer than expected you are getting them.
[12:23:22] Joshua Dobers: lol... WHEN?!?!
[12:23:29] Joshua Dobers: When Devin...
[12:23:37] Devin: As soon as possible :)
[12:23:43] Joshua Dobers: Can you PLEASE tell me when???
[12:23:45] Devin: Is there anything else I can do for you today
[12:24:05] Joshua Dobers: Yes Devin. May I speak with your manager?
[12:24:08] Devin: Joshua, I don't have an exact date, I can email when I get one, but I don't and can't get it now
[12:25:32] Joshua Dobers: It simply should not take 20+ days to get parts, or to give me a reason why you dont have the parts.. I am upset and would like better than soon. I am sure you can understand.
[12:26:34] Devin: I absolutely understand, Josh because I would be upset with waiting so long as well. But you have to understand that sometimes parts are out of stock. These things happen
[12:27:32] Joshua Dobers: But Devin, 20+ days? I could have an entire engine shipped from China sooner than this/
[12:27:52] Joshua Dobers: It does not give me confidence in your company.
[12:28:19] Devin: It can take that long, Joshua. And if you do not have faith to order from us again, I definitely understand.
[12:28:55] Devin: But we WILL get your parts to you as soon as possible. Again, I don't have an exact date, but I'll get an email to you ASAP if I get one
[12:29:01] Joshua Dobers: And that you can't even tell me WHen? That is a little bit ridiculous..
[12:29:12] Devin: I'm sorry you feel that way, Josh.
[12:29:19] Joshua Dobers: So am I...
[12:29:44] Joshua Dobers: So may I speak to your manager please?
[12:29:57] Devin: If you'd like to talk to a manager feel free to call us at (714) 706-3400 and dial x102. His name is Matthew.
[12:29:57] Joshua Dobers: or have them call me?
[12:30:04] Joshua Dobers: THank you Devin.
[12:30:13] Devin: Have a great day Josh!
Operator Devin has left the chat.
The chat is ended.

I called the number given and ended up leaving a voicemail for either email or phone contact. Hopefully they will get back to to me soon.

Last edited:

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
And here is the email thread from the beginning on it:

Good Morning Josh,

Unfortunately, it's very difficult for us to have an approximate time frame for when RMA's will ship. This past week has been very hectic here at BikeBerry.com but please rest assure that you are not forgotten about and your replacement parts are currently being processed for shipment. Your parts will be shipped out via Priority Mail which should take 2-3 days to arrive to you. Again, we apologize for the delay in shipment and we are working diligently to get this resolved for you.

Best Regards,
BikeBerry Support Staff

Niche Webstores, Inc.
583 Explorer Street
Brea, CA 92821
1.800.317.0479 Direct
714.706.3400 Local
714.255.1146 Fax
support @bikeberry.com

On 2/22/2013 5:53 PM, Josh D wrote:
Good Evening,
I don’t mean to seem impatient but I was wondering if you could give me a guesstimate as to when my RMA parts will ship? I talked to Devin over chat on Wed and he assured me that the parts were going to be shipping before the end of the week and that I would receive an email letting me know. I understand that sometime finding matching parts to motors for a customer can be a bit difficult but setting a customer’s expectations as to when they can receive their items is also important. I am willing to be patient as long as you communicate with me and let me know what is going on and when you can expect to ship my items.
Please help me keep my high regards of your company so that I can continue to give you the highest praise to my friends and others in the motorbiking community. Thank you and have a good weekend!

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:34 PM
To: Josh D
Subject: Re: Your order: 1300040637 RMA 1300040637

Good Afternoon Josh,

All parts are being replaced.

Best Regards,
BikeBerry Support Staff

Niche Webstores, Inc.
583 Explorer Street
Brea, CA 92821
1.800.317.0479 Direct
714.706.3400 Local
714.255.1146 Fax
support @bikeberry.com

On 2/12/2013 3:31 PM, Josh D wrote:
Thank you very much. If I may ask were all the parts warrantied or are any of my original parts being returned to me or were all the parts replaced? Thank you again.

"BikeBerry.com Support " <[email protected]> wrote:
Good Afternoon Josh,

Your RMA has been received and processed. At this time, your replacement parts will be shipped out shortly. We have also initiated a PayPal request in the amount of $6.95 for a top head gasket. Once this payment clears, a head gasket will be included in your RMA.

Best Regards,
BikeBerry Support Staff

Niche Webstores, Inc.
583 Explorer Street
Brea, CA 92821
1.800.317.0479 Direct
714.706.3400 Local
714.255.1146 Fax
support @bikeberry.com

On 2/11/2013 9:10 PM, Josh D wrote:
Good Evening again,
I would like take you up on your offer and purchase one head gasket. OEM paper gaskets seem to be a bit thin so I will be making one out of thicker better quality gasket paper for my case. Due to cost and availability I think I am going to stick with Valvoline 2 stroke oil that is more easily available in my neighborhood. I see that my parts have arrived yesterday, any word on warranty? Attached is a picture of what I cleaned out from the bottom of the case I was quite amazed at the amount of brass and how well the engine handled it.
Anyway, I do authorize BikeBerry to rebill the same card for the purchase of 1 head gasket for my motor. Thank you again for the excellent service. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Josh Dobers

Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 3:53 PM

Good Afternoon Josh,

Thank you for contacting BikeBerry.com. If you were to purchase gaskets, we would be able to waive the shipping charge and ship those out with your warrantied items. If you would prefer, we can rebill the same credit used to purchase your engine kit or you can give us a call here Monday-Friday 9am-5pm PST. In regards to oil/grease, we can recommend our Maxima Scooter Pro 2-Stroke Synthetic Motor Oil for your oil and our Red Devil Grease for your greasing needs. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,
BikeBerry Support Staff

Niche Webstores, Inc.
583 Explorer Street
Brea, CA 92821
1.800.317.0479 Direct
714.706.3400 Local
714.255.1146 Fax
support @bikeberry.com

On 2/9/2013 2:18 PM, Josh D wrote:
Good afternoon!
Due to RMA of the of the crank connector bushing disintegrating into the engine I have had to take the entire engine apart to clean out the remains of the bushing. It was quite a task but very educational and rewarding to see how exactly my engine runs. I would like find out if I order a new head gasket since the old one is getting a bit dinged up and a gear case gasket since the old one fell apart taking the engine apart, can I get them shipped with the replacement parts for the RMAs that I sent to you? I would really appreciate it if I could. Also since I had to wipe down pretty much everything to get that brass out of the system, what kind of oil/grease should I use on everything to ensure that they are properly lubricated?
Thank you once again for all your help.

Sincerely,
Josh Dobers

Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:09 PM

Good Afternoon Josh,

We definitely want to make sure that you're taken care of! Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best Regards,
BikeBerry Support Staff

Niche Webstores, Inc.
583 Explorer Street
Brea, CA 92821
1.800.317.0479 Direct
714.706.3400 Local
714.255.1146 Fax
support @bikeberry.com

On 2/4/2013 9:07 PM, Josh D wrote:
Good evening,
I really have to thank you for offering to RMA so much. I was just hoping for a needle bearing and maybe the rings if I was lucky but you have affirmed that I made the right choice when I went with BikeBerry and I will definitely recommend you to others. I already have a couple of friends who are interested in motorbikes and will make sure that if/when they purchase one, they come to you. Thank you gain for your excellent customer service and willingness to stand behind your product. 

Sincerely,
Josh D

Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 4:35 PM
Subject: Re: Your order: 1300040637

Good Afternoon Josh,

Thank you for contacting BikeBerry.com. We apologize that you are experiencing difficulties with your engine kit. At this time, we have initiated an RMA for your Piston, Piston Rings, Cylinder Body and your Crank Connector Bearing.

BikeBerry.com
RMA 1300040637
583 Explorer St
Brea, CA 92821

It is up to you whether to insure your package and what shipping method you would like to use. We recommend purchasing insurance on your package and delivery conformation. Once the item is inspected and proper action has been taken you will be notified by email when your replacement has shipped. If, for some reason, the product is not defective or there is any complication you will be notified by telephone. We look forward to quickly resolving your problem.

Also, please make sure that you clean out all the metal shavings inside of your engine before installation so as not to cause any negative affects to your new parts once they arrive. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,
BikeBerry Support Staff

Niche Webstores, Inc.
583 Explorer Street
Brea, CA 92821
1.800.317.0479 Direct
714.706.3400 Local
714.255.1146 Fax
support @bikeberry.com

On 2/3/2013 8:54 PM, Josh D wrote:
Good Evening,
I am afraid that I have to request another RMA from your fine company. Today I took a ride (average speed about 20-25 I believe in cruising at the “sweet spot”), about half way back the bike started losing a lot of power and picked up a squeak that I hadn't hear earlier. The squeak turned into a knock so I stopped altogether. So I got a ride home to see what the problem was. I looked the carb over and everything looked fine so I took off the cylinder head to see if the problem was there. The cylinder looked ok, but the bottom piston ring was broken. The piston shows quite a bit of discoloration and scratching though I don’t know if there was any damage beyond that. I pulled the snap rings and the wrist pin and popped the piston head off. The bushing under the wrist pin is completely destroyed (see attached). This is as far as I have ever taken the engine apart and didn’t want to get into pulling the case apart yet, though I am bit concern as to where the rest of the bushing is. I wiped out quite a bit of brass flakes under the piston and am worried about what it may have done underneath. Please advise what the be the next course of action. Thanks again.

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
My parts finally arrived today. I am very happy but a bit confused as to why I didn't receive the "your parts are on the way" email as they promised.
I wish, all along they had just communicated with me what the status of things was.
Mr Dobers,
"Due to supply issues your replacement parts are temporarily delayed. We do not have an exact time when we will have them in but they are on order and will be shipped within the next five to seven business days. We thank you for your patience in this matter and apologize for the inconvenience."
That is really all that would have been needed to keep me a happy camper. But the matter is done. Time to get building!

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
I don't remember what day I sent the parts, but they were received on the 9th or 11th (since the 10th was a sunday). The parts were shipped from BB on the 28th and received today the 2nd. That would be 20 days. A bit less than I thought it was.
However I have run at another issue. My old wrist pin won't work! Doh! I've sent an email to them hoping that too would be covered under warranty. And if it is, I pray that it doesn't take as long to get here.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Couldn't hurt to try...
"You know, after waiting almost a month for my parts, it would show good faith on your companys' part to pay the shipping and replace my wrist pin for free. You'll be sure to keep me as a customer!'

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Actually I already have requested a new wrist pin as part of the RMA about 30 minutes after I realized mine wouldn't work. And yes I do think that it should be sent free of charge.
Since the parts they sent won't work without that part working I feel it should be covered. I am still a bit upset about the whole 20 days but the clock has been reset and they have another chance to show me that my business is important.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
I'd tell them that. 20 days isn't as bad as it could have been, I admit, but still... good luck with it, you seem to be on top of em! It's been interesting.
Have you started a build thread yet- hopefully with pics?

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Update: I sent an email on Saturday (3/3) but it seems they only check their email once a day, generally around 4-4:30 PST so I called them on Monday. They told me they would send a new wrist (piston) pin out right away and to look for the email in my box. I didn't receive the email so I call them Tues and they confirmed the part had been sent out. So I am looking forward to getting that in the mail today (3/6) or tomorrow.
It seems they may have just been out of the parts and weren't expecting any for a while. The cylinder I received still had the studs and even an intake manifold on it, like they pulled it off an engine.

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Good Evening!
Thank you for getting the new wrist pin out so quickly. However this one did not work either. It was the same diameter as the previous one. BUT! I was not going to let that stop me. So I took my OLD wrist pin, stuck it on a drill bit and with some 330 grit sandpaper, I got it down to a diameter that would work. Now I was happy, now I was going to FINALLY have my engine back together!  I added a little bit of grease around the piston rings so I wouldn’t scratch the cylinder while assembling and manually rotating the crank, then carefully aligned the piston rings with the pins and slowly slid the cylinder over the top. It went in beautifully and I was almost home free! That is when I noticed a little something that might cause issues…  At top dead center the piston sticks up QUITE a bit above the cylinder top (see attached photos) So now the lovely piston that you sent me will not work.
I have to say that I am just really frustrated at this point. Is the engine I got an outdated model? Or maybe even not a Flying Horse at all? From what I have read on most of the forums needle bearings have been standard in the newer motors for a couple of years now. I know that different manufacturers have slightly different specs such as between a GRUBEE and Flying Horse but SURELY you should know what would work on the engines you sell right? Just out of curiosity did you compare the piston I returned to the piston you shipped? I attached pictures of both and its very clear the new one is too big.
So what is the next step? Now I have a piston and piston pin that are too big to work with the motor I have. Are we going to try some others and see if they work? At this point with the cost of shipping for everything going back and forth it may end up being cheaper just to ship the motor back to you so you can make sure the parts fit before sending anything out. Granted it is written in your warranty that the user needs to do the work. I have no problems with that. But I do have a problem with the amount of time it has taken and will take now to try again to find the correct parts. You, of course, will want the parts that do not work sent back (piston and probably pin), that is reasonable. I however should not have to pay for the return shipping on those, since I was not the one that sent the incorrect parts in the first place. That will take roughly a week. Then you will take another week or more to piston and/or cylinder (since we don’t know that that is correct either) sent out again that may or may not be the correct size. That will extend the amount of time without a functional product to 6 weekly almost 1/3 of the warranty period.
Please work with me here. I am not angry with your company and don’t want to or intend to be rude or discourteous, but just want a good solid functional product (in as much as a china girl can be). And am starting to feel like I received something either 2+ years old or not a real Flying Horse.
Tomorrow I will give Bikeberry a ring to see what we can do to come to happy conclusion for all.

Attachments

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
this is nuts mang, i got a flying horse kit from them and have had nothing but missing parts and bs from them...when i had to change the head studs i noticed my piston has play side to side in the cylinder...its too small of a piston...i sent bberry an email and they asked me what my gas to oil ratio was. WTF does that have to do with my piston being too small?

my issues from bberry out of the box:

1. no mounting hardware whatsoever
2. no petcock, fuel line
3. no friction plate spring
4. no friction plate
5. one snapped rear mount stud
6. no throttle cable
7. mismatched rag joint hardware( the rubbers were varying thicknesses of up to a quarter of an inch within a 2 inch area)
8. magneto wires werent soldered to the tabs...was solder and wire there but no connections
9. broken spark plug boot
10. leaky main seals on both sides...
11. leaky gas tank...from where its pressed together...
12. no gas cap...

i didnt even bother to ask them for replacements as i had leftovers and did everything on my own...

but its funny and brand new to me how my gas/oil mix has something to do with my piston and rings shrinking...

they must have a frikin vitamin deficiency

and they still havent recontacted me in regards to my answer...or even answered my voicemail...

took them 5 weeks to send me new rag joint rubbers and banana plates... and that was after i sent them 30 damn pictures of the screwed up plates and pics of the rag joint in the digital caliper showing variances of almost over a quarter inch within a 2 inch square...

im getting frustrated as heck with these jokers...

thatsdax is getting my money next time...for sure...

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
I have to agree, I am done with BikeBerry. I wanted to like them, I really did. They got my initial RMA for my muffler and sending out a wrist pin quickly but taking that long to get other parts in and not sending the right piston out really just is a deal breaker. 50% customer service is not acceptable to keep customers.
They are like the Walmart of motorbikes. They look pretty good on the outside, but once the crap hits the fan don't expect them to come through for you.

Edit: I did call them yesterday afternoon around 4:35, about 20 minutes before they closed since I hadn't received a response from them. So much for "Please complete the form below and you will receive a response within 24 hours or less." I doubt if if I would have either if I had not called. Monday I will call again, and every damn day of the week until I get an email saying the CORRECT part is on it's way.

They don't like me anymore. I am costing them money and so they just want me to go away. Well I am not. I will keep bugging them until I have a working, Flying Horse motor. And I will encourage others not to buy from them. I know owning a China girl is a crap shoot, but don't make warranty claims you aren't willing to back up.

Last edited: