my bike is having problems please help!

GoldenMotor.com

longbeach95

Oct 16, 2013
long beach California
So my bike was working great and today I noticed the exhaust was super lose and I tightened it up hard and now the bike won't go when I rev the throttle it just like dies down I'm a newbie to this kinda stuff there's a tiny bit of gas(or oil its black) leaking from the exhaust but its always done that but now a lot please someone help me on what I should do! :/

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
you could be running a very rich mixture in the carby, check your spark plug for a very black and oily tip, if that's the case, you will need to lean the mixture in the carby.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Hi longbeach,

You may have over tightened the pipe and crushed the gasket, maybe. Check the cylinder head bolts using a torque wrench, tighten them in a criss cross pattern to 15 ft. lbs. Check the intake nuts, carb clamp and top cap. Check all nuts and bolts all the time.

Also the stock spark plug cap and stock plug are junk if they haven't failed yet they will soon, replace them...

A little dribble from the pipe is normal after all you're running a gas and oil mix. Just a little... When you remove the spark plug notice what color the electrode is. Should be brown or golden brown. If it is black your fuel mixture is to rich. If it is white your mix is to lean. Check to make sure there is enough fuel reaching the carb. Are you using a inline fuel filter? If so is it dirty? If not is the carb contaminated? I hope this helps.

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
First make sure that the cylinder isn't cracked near the exhaust stud areas. This is rare, but it does happen.

Next thing I'd do is to check for a clogged exhaust system (especially if you're running an EPA approved catalytic converter pipe). You can search this forum for more info on how to unclog the exh. A quick test would be to remove the exh. system. A very short drive should be enough to test it (don't go around blasting everyone's ears out).

Also consider anything else that you might have done to your bike (besides tightening the exh.) shortly before this problem began (i.e. filling the gas tank, spark plug change, tuning, mods, etc, etc).

Btw, it'd be good idea to change the cheap Chinese exh. studs, nuts, and washers out for higher quality units (you can match-up replacements at your local hardware store (i.e. Ace, True Value, Home Depot, etc). You can also order these, and other studs, nuts, and fasteners in general from Custom Motored Bicycles, That's Dax, and many other outfits.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
loosen exhaust and see if it runs, if it does, then clean or replace muffler, if not, look to see if you've melted/broken any wires that run near the exhaust

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Brake cleaner is good for cleaning out mufflers/exhaust pipes. You'll probably get a trickle of blank gunk out the other end so hold the pipe over a bucket or a part of the property with bad weeds, and spray it into the pipe.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
The op claims was running good prior to tightening exhaust...loosen, or take off exhaust...use map gas and burn out all cndensed carbon...new plug wire and boot and new plug...never hurts...g luck