Q-Matic rear belt drive

GoldenMotor.com
Several have requested information on converting the Q-Matic to rear belt drive. I will gladly cover this topic for the few that want to use belts.

The Q-Matic is one of the few 4 stroke drive systems that can easily be converted to total belt drive.
We considered offering such a kit, however it isn't practical. Because of the various bicycle frames it would be next to impossible to put enough belts into a kit to fit, and the additional cost would run the majority of end users elsewhere.

Several Authorized EZ Motorbike dealers have installed the Q-Matic and or Silent Power drives with rear belt drive.

Here are the facts and the way to make it happen. First it is important to know the rear belt sheave from Whizzer USA [if available] will only fit wheels with the 12 guage [called .105" spokes] spokes and the wheel must have 36 spokes. The reason this is so has to do with the brackets that attach the sheave to the spokes. The brackets are too large for standard spokes, and will cut the larger [11 guage/ .120"] spokes and cause them to break. Memory Lane Classics in Ohio sells a vintage Whizzer repop sheave and will fit different size spokes, however it ain't cheap [$85.00 plus shipping for the SS version].

The Q-Matic uses the MaxTorque clutch with the 10 tooth #41 sprocket and is made as part of the clutch. It is possible to have a machine shop remove the teeth and make a special pulley to press fit the modified shaft [as I stated several have done so]. Max Torque makes a clutch with a pulley, however the pulley is too large and won't produce the required ratio. The Whizzer sheave is 15" and the Max Torque pulley clutch has a 3.2" drive pulley. Sadly the clutch is costly and the final ratio is 4.86 X 1 and needs to be 5.6 X 1 or greater for the Honda or HS 49 CC motors. If the output pulley is 2.5" then the final ratio is 6.31 X 1 and will work well.

I will include actual pictures of our test units to show we did the research for everyone that wanted to use rear belt drive.

Have fun,

Attachments

Hi Terry,

Rear sheave can be ordered from Memory Lane classics in Ohio.

The Q-matic drive can be altered to belt output by simply having a machine shop install a pulley in place of the 10 tooth chain sprocket. The sprocket must be machined down to allow the installation of the 2.5" pulley.

Several dealers have modified the rear to belt drive with great success.

Memory Lane Classics

Have fun,

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Besides custom from a machine shop, has anyone found an appropriate pulley to replace the kit sprocket?

Hi chainmaker,

EZM dealers have had the option of converting the Q-Matic to rear drive for over a year, as Max Torque has made a special clutch for us. The clutch when used with the Q-Matic has a secondary ratio of 6.22 X 1, and total ratio of 17.16 X 1.

It ain't cheap! It is also necessary to purchase the VINTAGE Whizzer belt sheave [over $100.00 with shipping] and an AX belt. Total extra cost to convert to rear belt drive is approx. $200.00 over the chain drive system, however many have used this arrangement.
The majority of the cost is the rear belt sheave, and long AX rear belt, whereas the Q-Matic drive is less than $75.00 additional for the alternate system.

Have fun,

Use the vintage sheeve ONLY!

The new edition sheeves only fit the new edition wheels and the spoke pattern. The vintage sheeve don't use brackets, but rather thick washer, screws, and square nuts, and will fit most spoke patterns [lace 3 or lace 4].

Memory Lane Classics has tthe vintage sheeve and are SS.

Have fun,

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Just talked to Memory lane They said they dont have the vintage ones...got to call back friday to speak to Harry the Whizzer Guy.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Received My Q yesterday ( Very Solid ) I now am on the hunt for belts for the drive...My HF will only fit in one spot, maybe 1/4 inch of room for adjustment front to back so I am not expecting to be able to find an exact fit. Im probabally going to have to come up with a tensioner of some sort. Any help on where I can find a supplier of different sized suitable belts ? Also I spent a couple hours installing the sheave and can only get this thing 1/2 cm. close to centered...how precisely does this have to be?

Hi Chainmaker,

Best way is to install everything, then use a "string" to measure the length for the rear belt. Be sure to ONLY USE an AX series belt, as they are made to bend around smaller pulleys [2.5" at the clutch]. You can order the AX series belts from most auto parts stores [NAPA, Pet Boys, Advance Auto, etc] Most likely [not 100%] the rear belt will range from 63" [AX 61] to 64" [AX 62]. Be sure to understand the AX series belt numbers are not the actual length. AX numbers are off by 2", belt is longer than number indicates.

Sadly belt sheeves aren't always perfectly round. and you may need to use a spring loaded idler [easy to make].

Have fun,

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Quenton

(I just noiced that West Coast Phone Number is the same for EZ Motor Bike as Simpson Motor Bike in Sacramneto, so maybe you can look at my question)

I have a motor bike that is coming together and I have an jackshaft that has chain from clutch at engine and small pulley also at jack shaft to washing machine pulley I mounted to spokes that get me 8.3 revolutions of crankshaft to the 26 inch tire 1 time around.

I have not yet have it running the engine all together yet, but beside the v-belt I got at Orielys Auto Parts, I bought at HF with discount coupon for about $20.00 a Link Belt (A-LINK-5). Add remove links easy and it is said to be capable of being a direct replacement.

http://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html

I have a little adjustment on the engine and jackshaft and this belt is such as I have additional adjustment that is unique to me as I had not had this available in the 70's when I last built a motor bike. Would have saved me many time buying belts as they stretched a little bit and slipped. Later I had a better engine platform that allowed a lot of adjustment and I was not buying more belts.

Since I have two areas that gear down, I can do alright with not so iensy wensy pulley diameter on the jackshaft.

I did look at about the whizzer type sheave and am trying to get one and needed the info in this thread about the spoke diameter. I will check my spokes thanks!

The diameter I am looking for the sheave for an alternate use of my motor bike as slow moving art vehicle and so I need twice the 10 inch washing machine pulley I have as a total separate alternate wheel. It seem to be 20 inches in diameter the one I saw for about $40, but am waiting to find out if it fits my 26 inch wheel and what about the mounting parts that are separate.

What I wrote and will let you know after the Holiday as I have been waiting a few days and expect that there too busy to reply just yet:
===========================================
Hello, Mike

First will a
Accu-Link part A-LINK-5
A and is for V-belts
and is 1/2" top width, 11/32" height
fit the Whizzer type Sheave?

Simpson Motor Bikes

On this page I saw parts #32 #33 & #34 for the #4 / #6.

Meaning:

32 Bracket-Belt Sheave N-3018 $3.60
33 Sheave 2973 $39.60
34 Screw 93893-05015-10 $0.60

for the:

04 RR Wheel Set (with Tire 26") 42810 $150.65
06 Spoke Set RR Wheel with Nipples (26") AC-213 $12.30

I have a rear wheel 26 inch rim 36 spokes (actually a very sturdy front wheel, I plan no pedals on my machine) and want to know if I may buy what is necessary for putting a Whizzer type Sheave on it if the above belt I described will fit.

So far I expect I can omit buying #04 & #06 as I have the wheel.

I would purchase 1ea #33 part 2973 Sheave

and then how many of #32 part N-3018 Bracket-Belt Sheave do I need if not just one?

and then how many of #34 part 93893-05015-10 Screw do I need if not just one?

Thanks
======================================================

To see what happens

Measure Twice

Last edited: