Cooper & Ludwig

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
That's his problem. It's of relevance to note the 1st NSU bicycle engine was known as Der Arsch Warmer.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Well, JC came over to mine on Thursday and picked up some metal I'd scored for us. This included a pair of p.a. speaker stands, which will be extremely useful once we find a use for them.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Well, doesn't everybody?

When we were growing up here, the children's programme Blue Peter ran the Stig Of The Dump stills cartoon series over and over. It was about a caveman who had slipped through time into a disused quarry used as a dumping ground, and he recycled all sorts of things. Although the series is long gone in TV history, the cry sometimes still goes up when someone dives into a skip or a bin to retrieve the good stuff. STIG!!!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Well, doesn't everybody?

When we were growing up here, the children's programme Blue Peter ran the Stig Of The Dump stills cartoon series over and over. It was about a caveman who had slipped through time into a disused quarry used as a dumping ground, and he recycled all sorts of things. Although the series is long gone in TV history, the cry sometimes still goes up when someone dives into a skip or a bin to retrieve the good stuff. STIG!!!
Dumpster divers,getting in is easy but at my age getting out is hard..............Curt

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
In the past I went fishing for a wheelbarrow for somebody out of a really big council tip container.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I am booked for a day of fiddling about with engine and bicycle on the 2nd of June. This year. I have acquired some fresh offcuts and bits and pieces of metal which may well help speed up the final fitting because they're handy shapes with holes in.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Now my sniper disc has shot me in the sciatic nerve, so it's off. I am less than pleased about this.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I finally got over to JC's today. We sorted out the drive side engine support down to the tapped holes just above the wheel spindle. It was fiddly work, and what doesn't look like much took hours. It's still progress, and the other side will be simpler and quicker to fabricate.

Then the silencer will be fitted, that will be interesting, especially when considering it's mostly an empty metal box which will amplify, not deaden the noise.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig,

Isn't it always the greatest advances on a project that look like not much was done despite the hours spent on accomplishing them. Then you add one piece to it in half an hour and it looks like you were at it all day.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I spent several hours in the company of one of the best people I know; if we'd opened the shed up, looked at it and then shut the door, it would still have been a good day.

This coming Monday, I go over to Redditch to spend some time preparing the road legal bike for its transformation from bicycle into a Genuine Vintage Fake. In the middle of July I go to a blues festival and play for an hour with another friend, end of the month take my wife away for her birthday.

The only real worry is whether the bike at JC's is finished before we get thrown in the fogey home. I hope it's a few years yet.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Today, I went to Redditch to start stripping down the road going bike. In the course of doing it, Doug (an immense fountain of bicycle knowledge) looked at it and came to a conclusion. Not only is it a 70 year old Raleigh, and therefore properly made, he thinks from clues and indications, that it's an ex GPO messenger bike, and as such, is even more robust than the standard roadster of the time.

No pictures, camera dieded.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Motobecane parts donor is in my hands, to be transferred to Doug's place soon, and then shortly afterwards, more work will happen.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Motobecane is now transferred. The moped brakes will be used, ideally on new chromed, not painted, rims, the tank is to be used rear mounted as it has the right proportions and shape. The headlight will be replaced with something round instead of angular box 1970s style.

Incidentally, if anyone runs across a Motobecane 7 in good order, It's a handy bike to throw in a pickup or carry on a boat, as its a featherweight.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I went over to Doug's and put a few hours in sorting parts out and stripping bits off etc. We have now cut out the engine mount section of the Motobecane frame, and on offering it up to the Raleigh, we found the engine can actually be placed vertically above the bottom bracket if the pedal crankshaft and driven pulley use the the original bottom bracket. It will make the whole appearance neater than anticipated, and allow the petrol tank to be lower than originally thought.