Clutch ball bearing?

GoldenMotor.com

cls74

May 24, 2008
Springfield, IL
Most have probably read my post about the new and improved clutch arm and cam I made. Complete failure, lasted all of about 10 minutes. It wore the cam the same way, instead of being a D shape, it rounded off the flat edge that actuates the clutch rod.

Looking at it I could see swirl marks in the rounded off area, the clutch rod had the same swirls. I pulled the rod out and there is no ball bearing in there, this could explain it if I'm seeing things right.

The arm turns the cam, the cam presses the actuating rod which in turn pushes the pressure plate away from the clutch disc thus disengaging the clutch. Correct? Seems as simple anyway.

My question is of the ball bearing in there. Is the ball bearings' only purpose to interrupt the spinning motion of the clutch to the clutch rod? If not I have a problem on my hands I cannot see past. I never thought about the ball bearing and figured it was weak material instead, but now think the clutch rod is constantly spinning and wearing the pressure point down. Today is the only time I have removed the clutch rod, I'm positive there is nothing in there but a flat surface.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Please post a link to your clutch arm and cam.

I use Large Phillipino's roller pulley mod on my clutch cable.

It is a fantastic reduction in the amount of force needed to use the clutch on a Happy Time or China Girl.

cls74

May 24, 2008
Springfield, IL
Here is the link, page 2, cell phone pics so not high quality

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/any-reason-these-ideas-wouldnt-work-2423.html

Here it is finished

Something is wrong with my clutch. Thinking it has something to do with the ball bearing but not sure. The clutch works for a short time but wears the clutch cam fast. I took out the rod and cannot see a bearing in there, just a flat spot. Searched here and elsewhere and found others with the problem but no real solution. One person even had their ball bearing wear flat, not sure if this is my problem or not. Getting a new bearing today but have to wait until 9.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I assume the ball, the link (push) shaft, the cam and the hole are well filled with grease. If not do so.

The only other thing I can think of is a fit issue....that link shaft should not be spinning.

Just re-read your first post....where is the ball???

cls74

May 24, 2008
Springfield, IL
That is what I'm not sure of. I'll try to break it down from the beginning. I've had the bike just over a month, ordered a pre-built from Spooky Tooth.

After going around the block a few times on my first ride I noticed the clutch was not fully disengaging. It progressively got worse. I thought the cable had slipped on the clutch arm. While adjusting it I noticed the screws to the arm cover were loose and the cover would seperate from the casing when pulling the clutch. Tightened those up and adjusted the cable, everything worked fine. But..... The clutch arm, when disengaging, was pulled all the way to the carburetor. I got the lever off and turned it a few splines to get clearance and all seemed to be ok for awhile. I took the cover off and noticed the clutch cam was worn and thought it was due to cheap material so I tried making one out of steel, worked fine when not running but it did the same thing to the steel one after going about 3 blocks.

I pulled the link shaft(as you called it) and noticed there was not a round bearing behind it, just looks flat. Been searching both bike sites and have found a couple different threads that are like my situation but none said what the issue actually was or the fix. From what I have read, the clutch should not work at all if the ball is not in there? I have a new clutch cam and lever ready to go but don't want to try it until I hopefully figure out what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

cls74

May 24, 2008
Springfield, IL
Also, everything looked really dry. Almost as if it had never had grease put in it from the get go. I'm going to go pick up a bearing now and see if everything will fit together.

Will definitely put grease in it.

cls74

May 24, 2008
Springfield, IL
Got it put back together. Looks like it was a missing ball bearing, wasn't any fitment issues and clutch works better than it ever has. Actually kinda stiff to pull now and the lockout button actually works on the clutch handle. Plenty of grease in it now.

Going to go ride it and make sure but think it's good to go. 10 cents for the bearing at the local bike shop.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Hello folks I just built myself one of these sweet kits, i've have quite a few miles logged on the engine kit until recently.

You see i have a very simular situation, the clutch cam is starting to wear, and it seemed that it never fully disengaged the clutch from the engine. Well i did a stupid thing and didnt do any adjustments or investigations untill my clutch completely failed, im very disappointed at how cheap the metal for the cam is and how theirs to much free play on it. is their any easy fix to this not requiring me to hire someone to custom machine a replacement clutch cam system/ pin?
one thing that anoys me is well first off theirs no bearing for the clutch cam shaft and theirs no stock ball bearing in the pin that goes to the clutching system!!!!!:-||

If you guys have any info feel free to contact me at MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/44520137

Ryguy278

Jul 22, 2021
Hey guys, I know this forum hasn’t been used in a while, I have had all the same issues. Bucking pin is running through cam shafts. Opened the sprocket casing and the was no ball, which was fine (I had a extra). But not the bucking pin sticks out to far. I wonder if I have to tighten my spring tighter to see if it will fit. Let me know if you have any answers. (Yes I know in the photo the arm isn’t all the way in with the nut. Trying to test it before I do that)

Attachments