Commercial 4-stroke vs Residentual 4-Stroke

GoldenMotor.com

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I know the differance of residentual 4 stroke engines and commercial
4 stroke engines in the lawn care service. My question is, in the motorized
bike world with 4 stoke engines, does it really matter?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It doesn't really matter.....does it? Queens "Rhapsody" just made me say that, but I don't think it really matters, doesn't really matter much to me.

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
commercial 4 strokes just last alot longer. found this on google and learned some more specifics about the briggs i didn't know

The vangaurd is they’re commercial line, top grade.
The powerbuilt is at the bottom of the scale….. not the I/C
the powerbuilt is all aluminum and plain bearings. No oil filter splash lubed.(oil dipper on crank)

The I/C (industrial commercial) has bronze bearings and a cast iron bore. no oil filter, splash lube

The intek has larger bronze teflon coated steel backed bearings, with a cast iron bore, may or may not have a oil filter depending on hp range. Premium ring package, and pressure lubrication.

The ELS (extended life series) Has chrome plated valves, teflon coated piston and cast iron bore. Its basically the intek…… just better longer life valves and full flow oil pressure. And oil filter.

The intek and ELS come with AVS on them (anti vibration system) the I/C may or may not.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Commercial motors often have a sleeved bore for longer life and to allow rebuilding. I also agree with the late great Freddy Mercury that it doesn't "really matter".

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
You are correct that the Vanguard is the IC line for Briggs but they have had some growing pains over the years in development and some of the motors have proved inferior to their non commercial counter parts.

Some of the IC features are the cast Iron cylinder sleeve, larger Intake and Exhaust valves, Larger diameter output shafts on the cranks, bronze valve guides, sleeved or bearinged crankcase halves, steel cam gears.

The Cast Iron sleeve adds some to the rebuild-ability of the engine but as oversized pistons only go to .050" max on both the sleeved and non sleeved engines they both have basically the same amount of times they can be bored. Castiron sleeves are more durable and less prone to gaulding from heat or oil failure but they do generate more internal heat than non sleeved engines.

My opinion is that as they are about 20% heavier and create more heat they would not have a good trade off over some of the more proven non IC engine designs for a motorized bicycle application.

Last edited: