First question for top-secret build!!!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
FIRST QUESTION FOR TOP-SECRET BUILD!!!!!!! (lol)

WHATS GOOOOD GUYS...IM working on a reallly dope build...

Its gonna be a really nice surprise to our motorbike community.Sort of a refresher...
Its actually a commemoration project for someone who inspired me as a kid!!!!
But dont wanna let out tooo many details yet. ya DIGG?? :)

So what I've been doing is digging and digging here and other sites, and allllllll the things for the build are coming together nicely.

Lol, call me weird if you want...But instead of threadjacking and coming at you guys with my random questions. Im just gonna keep alll my questions on this thread RIGHT HUURRR and hopefully i get some good answers.

AND I wont tell you guys everything,but if you have any questions about the build i'll shed a little light as well :)))

TOP-SECRET BUILD Question #1) I made a bone-head move i'll admit it... Look guys, for the intake system she'll run a nice little velocity stack and ufo air filter....But a while ago when the ufo air filter came in...i was a dumbass and THREW OUT the rubber flange thinking i didnt need it...I know, i know.. im basic...MY question to whoever reads this is where the heck could i find another rubber flange to fit said UFO air filter/velocity stack...

Pistonbikes wont give it to me because it'd obviously mess up their inventory...And buying another one would be a waste of money

I know you guys are smarter than me...help me outdance1

Last edited:

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
check out the plumbing section of your local hardware store, many rubber flanges of various sizes there, if that fails you could try and get a roll of magic plumbing tape that stuff is basically really thick rubber tape used for when teflon tape is not badass enough.

also in a pinch regular PVC electrical tape would work (assuming you use a hose clamp to compress it down) but electrical tape A] will not last and B] will leave adhesive everywhere when it fails.

that magic tape stuff has no glue on it, it sticks to itself when it stretches/compresses.
fortunately this is intake because none of those options will work in the presence of heat.

you also may be able to source the correct size of flange online from a plumbing supply (but the same stock should be at the hardware store. hopefully)

good luck sir!

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
Thats what i thought at first also..but then i'd have to replace the flange for that second one too lol. I even asked pistonbikes if i could pay extra for a second flange ( if i ordered the air filter again) and they still said no, because it'd throw off their inventory

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thats what i thought at first also..but then i'd have to replace the flange for that second one too lol. I even asked pistonbikes if i could pay extra for a second flange ( if i ordered the air filter again) and they still said no, because it'd throw off their inventory
In other words, pistonbikes would rather take care of themselves than taking care of you the paying customer......that's pretty much how I see it. :(

Sorry to hear that.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
If I made the mistake of throwing a part away that I needed, Id just suckit up and buy another one and be done with it.

As scotto said you will need a new filter at some point down the line and obviously if the base flange works for both filters all you would need to do is replace the filter when needed and reuse the same flange.

seems like a simple common sense solution to me.

Best wishes on the build, Im curiouse about what you got going on.

Peace, Map

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If I made the mistake of throwing a part away that I needed, Id just suckit up and buy another one and be done with it.

As scotto said you will need a new filter at some point down the line and obviously if the base flange works for both filters all you would need to do is replace the filter when needed and reuse the same flange.

seems like a simple common sense solution to me.

Best wishes on the build, Im curiouse about what you got going on.

Peace, Map
Ditto....thanks for spilling it out Map ;)

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
Okay guys im keeping you posted here, hows everyone's lives been treating them? Perfect????? yeah me too...
So i just ordered a few things from ebay, as well as Kings motors bikes.

Some things are for my classic Schwinn beach cruiser 26"( side project). And a couple were for the Paul Walker commemoration project 24" Specialized Rockhopper (main project) <-had to edit,to clarify ...

Right now im ordering everything in an organized fashion ( checking a bunch of sites for the same thing to avoid over-paying & bundling future parts so i dont pay for shipping twice..ya dig).

I got another air filter so i'll have the flange i threw out... And for the side project, im gonna have to buy some of that Wizards tape...

Besides that, i got the standard black expansion chamber nothin too fancy...a gasket set, some handle bar grips & a 4 bolt tensioner : )

jug & case are painted flat black rated at 2000 F, the head is next..juggling 2 projects at once,
let me know if anyone has questions...i love those

When i was a kid, peers hated me in school for asking SOOO many questions ahaha

Last edited:

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
Not to mislead you guys.... the side project & main project are going to be way different.

For the commemoration project aka the P-Dub (P.W.) im ordering the Bronze Bushing & Copper Gasket Set from JuiceMoto ( using every gasket EXCEPT the main case gasket ) let me know if anyone wants to buy it, i dont have the tools to open up the case.

Im also drilling out wrist pin to 7.5mm diameter & cutting intake(4mm)/exhaust(2mm) skirts... The 7.5 dia. wrist pin & cutting piston skirts & chamfering 4 ways on the dome should lighten up the top end a good amount...

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
Whooa its been a while lmao. Ive been busy, but im still making progress on this build guys!!!
I plan to have the beach cruiser (NOT THE SECRET BUILD) together in a week or so.

I got a new rotary tool, and did some moderate port work. The intake port needed much "opening up" to make it match the exhaust port. I plan on making the intake port floor somewhat texturized to better atomize fuel, the exhaust side will be nice and smoooooth
Btw this is a GT-5 motor.
As for the piston, windowed & ramped, chamfered whatever i could.
I will take pics soon.

Also bought good quality mounting bolts & head nuts...As well as rubber sheets to help vibration a little.

& i think i mentioned before, the velocity stack & "high flow" air filter that'll be on an NT carb...
Im suspecting this cruiser will have good all around power, because she'll run a 40t sprocket, along with upgraded intake and expansion chamber.

But okay gotta go guys,
IF i forgot anything, feel free to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
alright bro sounds good! any tips on drilling holes through the piston?? to lighten top end weight.. I want to drill them thru the 4 unaffected areas around the piston, like you did in your video

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
alright bro sounds good! any tips on drilling holes through the piston?? to lighten top end weight.. I want to drill them thru the 4 unaffected areas around the piston, like you did in your video
3/16" dia. holes and no more than 8 is what I recommend now, the piston I drilled 12 holes in cracked in one area where one of the holes was a bit to close to lower edge, may not have actually been the hole being to low that caused it since I super heated that engine while running it on the lean side when I did my top speed of 52mph.

The only real advice I can give on the subject is just make for sure that the holes are in an area that they wont become open as they pass the ports.