Oil Injection

GoldenMotor.com

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
I don't know much about the technology, but has anyone tried oil-injection? I'm not sure how it would work, to regulate the mixture properly, but I think it would be quite a neat idea if someone can pull it off. That way, you no longer have to mix oil and you can just fill your tank at the pumps and be off again.

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
theres no point to go through the effort to make these oil injected. thats just another thing to go wrong, atleast with premix youll never have to worry about not having oil

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
been through a lot of systems for this and all the simple ones work poorly without the throttle control for the pump

best system I found was an old moped that had a hand pump next to the fuel tank - after filling the tank, you just push the hand pump and a measured amount of oil is squirted as a fine spray into the tank - seems a very good system except that the tank needs to be empty before filling, or your mix will get too rich

no info about how to use it, but if it were set up to measure enough oil for 1/4 tank (4 squirts per full tank), one might be able to use 2 squirts when adding 1/2 a tank of new fuel, but I have no idea how it was used

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The cost/labor advantage would be too low for me. Takes about 30 seconds to dump in the oil, shake the fuel container and I'm done. An oil container with marked increments makes the task easier too.
Mixing 2 stroke fuel/oil has never seemed a chore to me.

As for refueling on the road; install a bigger tank. I like motorcycle tanks that hold a gallon or more. That's a day of riding for me without stopping for fuel.

Tom

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Well, it was just an idea I had. I currently have a 4L drop tear tank that I fill up at a gas station, and I keep my oil with a barbeque sauce container that I got from the dollar store that has measurements marked on it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're sorry, TakeiT. We've been guilty of squashing innovation before and I fear we're doing it here again.

Do some experimentation and see if the concept can be made workable. It will take some research to find out how the factories make it work. It might be that your idea could be adapable to motorized bicycles and make all of us look foolish and make you rich.

One thing to keep in mind is the different ratios that have been used. Everything from 16:1 to 100:1. That will complicate the equation, I'm sure.

Let us know if you pursue the idea and can make it work. Good luck.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
were I younger and more energetic, I believe I'd try to find a spray bottle that would mist the oil and just squirt 2oz in the tank - seen horrible results of guys trying to pour into tank & shake whole bike

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Two stroke motorcycles with oil injection systems generally have some complex gear reduction systems, normally a couple of stages of small worm gear drives, to reduce the engine rpm to something manageable.

You'll also need a cable splitter and fittings to run the pump stroke control, an extra oil tank, piping, and a banjo bolt fitting run the pump outlet into the intake manifold.

Not impossible but largely out of the range of most home tinkerers unless you got some major lathe and mill mojo, and time. **** while you're at it, just set up a semi periodical grease pump that weeps out a tiny amount of gear grease for the primary reduction gears.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
while you're at it, just set up a semi periodical grease pump that weeps out a tiny amount of gear grease for the primary reduction gears.
Someone actually already did that, and I followed suit. a 1mm or slightly smaller hole drilled between the reduction gears to the crank case sprays engine oil into the gears. It appears to be too small for the gas to leak out of, compression doesn't change, and your gears get lubrication from the compression of the engine squirting a bit of oil onto them every stroke. In fact it's made its way from my gears, through my clutch shaft bearings, and lubricates even my drive chain. It makes it a mess, but I dont have to worry about lubrication.

As for oil injection, I've been curious about that, myself. My PHBG carb has an oil injection barb, and I'd love to use it to be able to fill up with regular gas anytime. Only problems I see are: pressure, on a piston port engine the back pressure will need to be overcome. Reed valve, I imagine, would be fine, perhaps some kind of venturi system would make it able to suck oil like it does gas, but then you'd need to figure out the right size hole to mix the oil perfectly. The other is another tank. I suppose you could just buy a seat tank or something, but you'd have to keep an eye on your oil.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
some snowmobiles and outboard motors have this self mix set up.

Im not sure if they are computer controlled or a mechanical setup

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
I had a bit of an idea I might try to cobble up at some point in time. You could use an electric pump with a valve, controlled by the throttle. When the throttle is open, oil goes to the motor. However, you will have to somehow determine how much gas is used per minute when running wide open and when idling to find out how much oil is needed. Then this pump would have to be tweaked until it is perfect (which can be done by using various diameter tubes)

However, you will have to be 100% sure that your battery is completely charged, and again, that issue with the tank comes into play, which I don't really thing is going to be a big deal, it doesn't have to be that big. I have a 1 gallon tank on mine and use roughly 100mL of oil, which I find runs pretty good.