I found the HOLY GRAIL! (1926 Harley)

GoldenMotor.com

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
I am truely befuddled by what I came accross in my neighbors yard. We struck up a conversation as I passed on my whizzer yesterday and he felt he needed to show me something i would be interested in. The old man took me into one of his sheds full of antique signs and Hit-Miss engines, lifted a tarp, and my jaw hit the floor. It was a 1926 harley peashooter engine that was converted into a generator during the great depression.

At that moment I got down on my hands and knees and fiddled with it for a moment and he asked "do you want it?'' I replied "absolutely!" The man practically wanted to give it away but I insisted he take the $200 cash I had in my wallet at the time. I buzzed on home and came back with a pickup. The engine is nearly ready to run despite a few little things here and there and the compression is rock hard! I am still debating weather to slap it in a frame.

Attachments

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
If I were you I'd feel bad selling it, I could be wrong but he probably saw you as someone that would not butcher it. I say you've hit the jackpot, it's almost fate. You have to put this in a frame.

What's the engine size?

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
It's junk. Total junk. I'll take it off your hands :), Lol. Find out the going rate for this engine. I say if you can get a lot of money for it, take the cash and invest it into something that you can ride in Australia that they haven't banned.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
It's junk. Total junk. I'll take it off your hands :), Lol. Find out the going rate for this engine. I say if you can get a lot of money for it, take the cash and invest it into something that you can ride in Australia that they haven't banned.
You arent confusing Bird with Whitey are you Cobra?

monark

Feb 1, 2012
sweden
DONT SELL! the most people on this site are debating and talking about their Briggs,chinakits etc. and you (lucky bastard) gets a Real Harley engine thats more than perfect just in your lap.My cold swedish brain just got a little hotter when you mention crapbay,show the old man some respect and build something and i dont want to see that motor in a schwinn frame or some crappy cruiser.****! im jelous

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Great old barnfind!

Chances are it will run, but since it has been used as a stationary engine, it will probably be REALLY scary to listen to!

Be cautious with it on the first few starts, keep rpm's lower, and shut 'er down before it overheats.

Good luck
rc

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
DONT SELL! the most people on this site are debating and talking about their Briggs,chinakits etc. and you (lucky bastard) gets a Real Harley engine thats more than perfect just in your lap.My cold swedish brain just got a little hotter when you mention crapbay,show the old man some respect and build something and i dont want to see that motor in a schwinn frame or some crappy cruiser.****! im jelous
I agree with Monark, and its what i was getting at earlier in my post. This guy could quite obviously have just sold it on EBay for a LOT LOT LOT more then what he sold it to you for, and in fact he was going to give it to you. He probably is very fond of this engine but realised you would appreciate the engine, sounds like a really nice guy. I say build a bike and when finished go show him. He would be just as excited as you were when you first lifted the sheets on this engine. The moment when you show this guy the bike you built with his engine would be far greater then any profit you could make by selling it...... but thats just my $0.02

If you do go show the guy your bike when done can you videotape his response.... it would be priceless

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Freak’n lucky indeed!

And I too I’m jealous,

but happy for you.

I’ve been a member of this site for over 3 years now and have witnessed an evolution of motored bicycles that has advanced faster that the original transition from bike to cycle 100 years ago.

It seems like everyday somebody presents a new build that really can’t called anything else but a motorcycle. A far cry from when we were exciting to have made in China 2 stroke kits.

This classic falls into that camp.

It really does deserves to be treated like the classic it is and I too recommend build it as a true cycle.

Of course at 2 cents a pop opinions are cheap and everybody has one.

I’ll look forward to see what you do with this!

-Kirk

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Freak’n lucky indeed!

And I too I’m jealous,

but happy for you.

I’ve been a member of this site for over 3 years now and have witnessed an evolution of motored bicycles that has advanced faster that the original transition from bike to cycle 100 years ago.

It seems like everyday somebody presents a new build that really can’t called anything else but a motorcycle. A far cry from when we were exciting to have made in China 2 stroke kits.

This classic falls into that camp.

It really does deserves to be treated like the classic it is and I too recommend build it as a true cycle.

Of course at 2 cents a pop opinions are cheap and everybody has one.

I’ll look forward to see what you do with this!

-Kirk
Interesting point, i think its a natural progression. Especially for people like me where they have become illegal, and lets be honest, things are only going to get harder for our hobby (law wise)...... but there is still that link to bicycles, and the build techniques are still very similar

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
That engine is not a "peashooter", nearly all of them were race bikes and they were named for the distinct sound made by the new overhead valve head. Your engine is either a 21 cu. in. model A or B single, the only difference is the B has a magneto and the A has battery igniton, or a 30.5 cu. in. model C. The A and B were made from about '25 to '35, and the C from '27? to '35. Could you post a couple pics of the carb and ignition? Looks like the carb is an afterthought. H-D did make some stationary engines but I would guess yours is from a cycle. There are probably parts out there but I would imagine they are not easy to find. There should be some numbers stamped in the top of the case and the bottom of the cylinder on one side that will identify it for sure if it's from a bike. It has some value for sure, but I'd be thinking Sportsman money maybe, but not UltraGlide money. Now, just because I said it does not mean it's right, but that is what I think it is! Cool engine, by the way. I THINK? the VIN number should be on the "fan" side, right below, and maybe also above, where the case meets the cylinder.

Last edited:

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
I have made the decision, I will do a ground up re-fab of the entire bike in all of its glory. Did some more research and It is the luxury B model with an alternator, full electric and that pretty much doubles the value.. As much as Id like to pay off college, I have always dreamed of owning a real machine like this.

Attachments