Katy cruising

GoldenMotor.com

asel.mike

Jun 2, 2011
Katy, Tx
Ive been riding my Motor bike around katy (where i live) a little lately and thought i would share.
the exit to my neighborhood is a common cop hangout, pass them almost every ride and most dont even look at me. at first I was so scared they would hate the idea but apparently not.
Ive done 6 or 7 10-15 mile rides to my girlfriend's house, oreillys, sears, and home depot. so far no incident with breakage or flats.... im still carrying the tool bag needless to say. Tomorrow morning i plan to ride the MB to school for the first time. Ive got the blinkers hooked up for the semi darkness, full tank of gas, tools in my bag and nothing but good intentions!!!!!

Super excited to cruise on up to school. I'll post an update on the experience

asel.mike

Jun 2, 2011
Katy, Tx
The ride to school went well, despite a speeding driver while exiting a neighborhood. I made great time, almost comparable to how long it takes in the car!!!! That makes me pretty happy to say the least.
On the way I had one honk of approval, 3 stares (that i noticed) and 1 hello!!!!
I'll be continuing my school commute via motor bike (except the days friends need rides.)

Keep it between the ditches!!!!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I feel pretty comfortable riding my motorbike in Katy. I try to avoid riding when the school buses are running because they have a tough time getting past me, and then the traffic kind of piles up behind them.

asel.mike

Jun 2, 2011
Katy, Tx
I've been pleasantly surprised by people's acceptance levels.
Many things tent to bend texas drivers out of shape. Generally speaking, there also aren't very many bikers around.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I'm on the north end of Cinco Ranch in Pine Mill Ranch. Spring Green dead ends into my neighborhood. I think Mike is closer to the 99.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Houston riders have been reluctant to ride in a group, attracting law enforcement.
The Galveston riders have gotten together a few times.
We could have a group ride around Cinco/Kelliwood. I have never had any issues with police in those areas.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Ive been riding my Motor bike around katy (where i live) a little lately and thought i would share.
the exit to my neighborhood is a common cop hangout, pass them almost every ride and most dont even look at me. at first I was so scared they would hate the idea but apparently not.
Ive done 6 or 7 10-15 mile rides to my girlfriend's house, oreillys, sears, and home depot. so far no incident with breakage or flats.... im still carrying the tool bag needless to say. Tomorrow morning i plan to ride the motorized bicycle to school for the first time. Ive got the blinkers hooked up for the semi darkness, full tank of gas, tools in my bag and nothing but good intentions!!!!!

Super excited to cruise on up to school. I'll post an update on the experience
What I'd be worried about most is someone stealing my bike.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Houston riders have been reluctant to ride in a group, attracting law enforcement.
The Galveston riders have gotten together a few times.
We could have a group ride around Cinco/Kelliwood. I have never had any issues with police in those areas.
What trouble do you know of that anyone has had with the police while riding a motorized bicycle in Texas?

SyedStreet

Jan 7, 2013
texas
I'm planning to ride my bike on streets to and from school (CINCO RANCH) just wondering if cops would get on my back about it...If they do what would i respond....if you wanna call for a meet around this area...let me know..ill make a post.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
if you wear a helmet and behave in Katy, the patrolmen will show no interest. if they do pull you over, tell them that gopeds are legal in TX so you figured motorized bikes were too.
Biknut- There was a rider in College Station that got a lot of tickets from campus police. That's the only one that comes to mind now.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think this would make a nice route for a Katy group ride:
Start at the Home Depot parking lot at the NW corner of Grand Pkwy (TX-99) and Fry Rd.
Head west on Fry Rd.
Take a right on Ranch Lane (Just before FM-1463).
Take a right on Cinco Rch Rd.
Take a left on Mason Rd.
Take a right on Highland Knoll.
Take a right on Fry Rd.
By the map it looks like about 17 miles. The only left turn required is an easy one. Plenty of places to eat along the way.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
if you wear a helmet and behave in Katy, the patrolmen will show no interest. if they do pull you over, tell them that gopeds are legal in TX so you figured motorized bikes were too.
Biknut- There was a rider in College Station that got a lot of tickets from campus police. That's the only one that comes to mind now.
According to what I read, he challanged the tickets in court, and they were dismissed without cause given.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
I'm deffinately down for a group ride in the houston area. I've been looking for local riders and wouldn't mind making a trip to the west side of houston to go ride \m/ just let me know a date - may have to take a sick day ;) cough cough looooool

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I'm not able to make a group ride for a few weeks. I am packing up and moving (about 10 miles).

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
When ever your ready but like I said give me about a weeks notice and I can take the day off if I'm not off already.
On another note - was driving home from work and saw a bunch of sweet looking cars/trucks/bikes pass me up and thought... There must be a car show somewhere close by me. Drove about another 20 miles towards my house and turned into my neighborhood. Turns out car show is almost in my back yard \m/. Had the hotrod hodown at sallas park around the corner from my house. I had no idea there was going to be a show this weekend. I quickly changed out of my work clothes and hopped on my bike to go represent \m/ since it was late when I got there I was able to just park my bike with the rest of the cars/bikes/trucks. Only saw one other motorized bicycle and it deff wasn't a rider. I love these things. Got a ridiculous amount of compliments on my ride as well as pictures and videos of some nice hotrods. My favorite part was when most of the people were gone and a burnout contest eprupted \m/ so many people took pictures of my bike but noone really asked any questions. Was a nice change from having to go through the whole speech about where to get a kit, how I built it so on and so on. Was a great time and next time ill be taking the day off to enter my bike just to see what happens.

Attachments

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Got "new" worksman front wheel with drum brake \m/ ordered my white wall that matches the front for the rear and the "voodoo pipe". Will be sealing my tank and then ill be ready for any ride any time. Should be about a week or so before my parts get here and afternoon or so to put them on and retune my bike. One of these days imma take my back rim in to be trued up but I can wait on that \m/

bparker

Mar 6, 2013
Rosenberg, TX
Hey Katy guys,
I'm down in Rosenberg. I just built a bike for my Father in Law (he's 80, I'm 60). It's a 29" Genisis aluminum frame hybrid. Works good so far - we've on our 3rd gallon of mix, so it's getting some action for just being around a couple of weeks. We just ride the neighborhood down here, and no problems from the police, but the neighbors have sure noticed! (In a positive way, so far).

Last edited: