new build old huffy mountain bike

GoldenMotor.com

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
got my sick bike parts low clearance air filter in today and had to rejet bigger again but wow what a difference good low end and hill power I think the stock air filter is to restrictive.My plastic bushing has taken a beating in the carb and need to find a new one ,does anybody know were to order these or a part that will work??brnot

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I used some sch 80 cpvc water pipe and put it in the lathe at work turned down the id to the size of the intake pipe then fitted it to the carb on the od then took a hack saw and made a slot.I made a lot of different od sizes before I got the right combo so it would tighten up and also seal the slot when tight but not to tight so it doesnt close.I made 2 more for stock and so I could repete them if needed.I will try this tonite after work but its got to be better than the stock one,also found a o ring to fit intake as well this should seal up all my intake leaks..wee.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
Tried my carb bushing I made at work the other day and it works great seals perfect,I spayed carb cleaner around seal and it didnt die out,idles fine and good low end.My jets came in from sick bike parts but going wait for my billet ported intake then jet to that as it runs good with the drilled out jet for now.I called about my directional/brake light kit and they said it ships from china and it takes at least a month,funny the add says ships in 2 weeks.I have also ordered a HD axle kit but that as well is on back order.
.xx.

Last edited:

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I got my intake in billet port matched with a o-ring seal,tried my jets and they are to small 5mm threads and mine are 6 mm.I tried it with the old jet I drilled,it work great ,a lot more low end and runs a lot better big noticeable difference between intakes.dnut

I found a used bike all working that I am going to pick up got it for $120 complete running diamondback with a 80 cc grubee skyhalk.I figured out how much I got into mine the other day good thing the wife didnt find the slips for this.I have a little over $800 into it.dance1
But it sure was fun and keeps me out of trouble.It will pay me back this summer if I take it to work,my F250 gets 16-18 mpg on a good day and with gas going to $4 a gal that will save me a few bucks.wee.
I think I got my wife talked into going for a ride now that I got 2 bikesr.ly.

Last edited:

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
You should never use the words "Huffy" and "Mtn. Bike" in the same sentence. This is the very reason that the Huffy toss was invented. If you have never heard of the Huffy toss, it's a classic game played by "real" mtn. bikers in that who ever can toss the HEAVY Huffy the furthest wins a prize. It was quite a popular competition in the late 80's into the 90's.........true story!

dnut
Is a diamonback a beter bike bye your standards or is there a diamond back toss as welllaff

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
my first ride to work in the dark was a adventure 2 of my 3 lights failed the one on the fork the lense cover fell off and scared me as the light got bright around me and I ran over the cover.The tail light made it a mile then went out as well ,I had a batt back up just in case.I have the charging coil and the batt pack from wonderfull creations,the filiment in the bulbs dont last long because of the vibration.I made it to work on time and in one peice,the ride home was wild as well.usflg

With 35 mph wind gusts and a top speed of 40-45 it took some time to get there but made it fine.I am glad I wore a helmet but in NH we dont have to,Live free and die thing.At top speed the bike handles great better than I had planed on,the people at work like the bike but like anywere there was some heckeling.laff

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I got my blinker set up in from a different place and gave up on the KMB one ,I called and it will be on the next shipment from china in 3 weeks(maybe they said).I got the other one in 4 days and installed it ,works good and has a tail light,brake light and directionals.I also removed what was left of the light on my fork notice the bracket was cracking anyway.I had a idea for lighting the speedo,I had a old speedo from a sled and removed the push in light,measured the hole,drilled the back of the speedo to that size then installed the light and ran it off the motor white wire coil.I waited until dark and tried it works great but I need to get a 6 volt bulb as the 12 volt is very dim at best but is still enough to see your speed.Now I have all my power going to my head lights and they work great.dance1

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
Went to Bath me to pick up my new to me MB (4 hours one way)$120 on craig list.It was on a diamond back frame and a skyhalk 66 cc motor .It was loose in the frame and had stripped rear bolt and a bad chain,wrong front tire and dirty carb .I fixed all this and couldnt leave it alone so I put the extra intake left over from my other MB with the boost nipple in it and made a bottle for it out of some cpvc pipe and some plug caps.It is 2 times bigger than the ones they sell and works great.(bigger is better right?)I went out around town with it and put on 20 mile just putting around ,great power for stock and runs great.It has a springer gell seat with a gell cover on it with suspention forks that were frozen up but with some work and a bumpy back road put they came int it.Not bad for $120 and a days work.dnut

Attachments

Last edited:

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I had a extra clam shell addapter I was going to make a spare rim with a smaller sprocket but I had to loose the rag joint on the new bike as it wobbled bad and the chain roller was taking it hard.I had ordered a cassette removal tool and it came in this morning.I swapped the 6 speed onto the good rim and my good tire,set up the sprocket then tried it out.

.wee.

I just about went over the handle bars as the derailer let go and wraped around the sprocket trying to start it.I had a spare put everything back together fired it up and went out around the town for a ride.This goes just about as good as my first bike and its stock.

dnut
If it stops raining in the morning I want to take a good run and put some miles on both bikes.
.shft.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I just got done the mods on the new old beast.I stopped in at a friend of my daughters who was into bmx bikes and had a lot of parts,I went in looking for bmx bars and came home with bars and a hole 26" mountain bike with 8 speed sprocket,disk brake rims,and good RTS ajustable forks all for $10.I had to swap out the front end and the bars.These brakes work great and the bars gave it a hole new look.I have pictures in the galery of both of my bikes.I am thinking of putting the other rim on the front of my first build but with a disk brake adapter on the sprocket side and make it dual disk front end,that should stop good.I may save the rim for my shifter kit project this winter(dont tell the wife)..shft.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I took a long ride on the diamond back today and the plug looked a little lean so went I up the jet one size and tested it runs better and stronger.I like this bike more end more every time I drive it.My first build runs ok but the carb is always loosening up and I think it leaks air.Just ordered the manic intake to fix this,now all I need to find is jets.dance1

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina
I took a long ride on the diamond back today and the plug looked a little lean so went I up the jet one size and tested it runs better and stronger.I like this bike more end more every time I drive it.My first build runs ok but the carb is always loosening up and I think it leaks air.Just ordered the manic intake to fix this,now all I need to find is jets.dance1
i thought about gitting that intake for mine but i gotta git sum new bolts for the exhaust done 1st. do ya have a O ring in ur carb? i put 1 in mine about month after 1st had the motor and it ran better:)

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
my diamond back has the old speed carb on it ,tight and has never loosend.My huffy has the new cns red cap carb but I did a lot of tuneing and had the carb off to many times the plastic spacer is junk,it never sealed upgood anyway or stayed tight.I tried to make a spacer out of cpvc pipe but it still wont stay tight .I got the ported billet intake from them but after noticed the larger one that eliminates the plastic bushing,I will just have to put the first one one my older carb set up and that has a o ring built into the intake.I am going to ride to work this morning in the dark and see how she goes.usflg

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
I made it to work fine this morning but the cheep junk tail light /brake light/blinkers fell apart and tail light wouldnt stay on because the vibration would shut the switch off.The ride in was nice untill 2 loaded chip trucks passed me but I was on the big wide part with a brake down lane,good thing we didnt meet in the s curves bye the river.dance1

When I left work it had just let up from pouring rain and made it home but the bike didnt like the rain and almost died out on the biggest hill so I had to peddle a bit,so I will have to tinker it up later but all together it was a good ride.Now that I have 2 bikes I have a spare just in case one blows up.r.ly.

I replaced the tail light with a led motor cycle one and did some more tuning to my carb,I think I got it just about right.I think I am going to take the Diamondback in tomarrow,I got the vintage style speedo she goes 30-35 stock with 44 tooth.My huffy with the same speedo goes 40 -45 on the flats but has a pipe,bigger jets,air filter, boost bottle and a 40 tooth sprocket .shft.

brentemmons

Mar 28, 2011
Danbury N.H
Well I almost made it to work and I heard a bad noise the rear tire locked for a second then started to turn.The motor is done,I pedal the rest of the way to work trying to get there before anybody saw me but 1 guy went bye before I could make it.

Its hard to pedal with a helmet on and back pack with the extra 25 pounds of motor stuff now not helping in the dark holdin a flash light ,oh ya my light died and had to go to plan B before the motor died.I should have turned around and called in. .duh.

I am glad it wasnt the huffy I just built but still sad to see the diamond back die.I got a ride home and picked it up with the truck.I took it apart and the lower main rod bearing let go looks like it was getting hot?It had a lot of vibration compaired to my huffy motor and I got this used so maybey it was hurt to before I got it.I got a crank coming from BGF $17 with shipping everything else looks ok.She will live again.dance1