Four Wheel Project

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Got it up on all four wheels today. Finished and installed the axle spacers. Put on the bump stops for the pivoting front axle. Had the steering tower welded and ready for bushings.

Doesn't much resemble the original garden tractor. The wheel base came out to 34 inches. Just about right on 1/3rd scale.

Worked on the rack and pinion. Welded on the drag link tab and cut the slot for it to slide in. I'm amazingly close to a test ride. Well, after a lot more fitting and welding.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Worked on the steering today. Mocked it up and checked alignment. Made sure it cleared the engine.

Front axle turned out well. Installed the tie rod and shimmed the center pivot for a snug fit.

Cut the excess off the front axle shafts. Measured for the steering shaft support that will be just rear of the engine.

Looks like I'll be hunting down a smaller steering wheel. Maybe a 10''. Getting closer every day. When I get she shafts all squared away, then I can mount the rack and attach it to one of the spindles. It will be under the frame.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Today I fit the steering support. Still have to bolt it down.

Installed the rack and pinion, then cut the drag link to size.

Made all the bronze bushings a little snug, so when I bolted it together, they bind a little. Need to loosen them up a bit so the steering works smoothly. Has a bit more bump steer than I expected. Still in the r&d stage, so I have to work those bugs out.

Sprayed some paint on a few engine parts. You guessed it, IH engine red enamel. Still need to install grease zerks in the front axle pivot, spindles, wheels and rack. Then I'll bolt the gearbox down and work on the shifter. After that, concentrate on the motor.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
what a cool little ride this will be for some lucky youngster :)
I am enjoying this thread a lot !!!
Thanks azbill. The lucky youngster is my grandson. You can see him in the background of some of the photos working on his full size Scout. He's 21, 6' 5'' and 260 lbs. Making sure he fits inside the body will be a challenge. My youngest grand son has the Jeep I made a few years back. He's 11 now and rides it easily. It's also built using a garden tractor chassis.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
The bike Im building now hopefully will be for My son when he's old enough (He is 1 now I will ride it until then) at that time the bike will be 76 years old .

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
This is what I mean about fitting my grandson into the body being a challenge. Should have gone with 1/2 scale instead of 1/3rd. I got the steering support bolted down, the gearbox and chain installed, put the original motor and seat on for a test ride when I get the shifter figured out. Found an inch smaller steering wheel and will make the hub to mount it to the shaft next. It steers pretty good with vice grips, but I think a wheel will do better.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yeah, may have to lengthen it a bit. Would also be easy enough to add to the frame rails right in the middle. Just need a longer belt underneath. Careful construction of the body will be critical to keep to the scale. Don't want to go too big either, as I have several other younger grandkids that may want to take it for a spin. Thanks for the idea.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The bike Im building now hopefully will be for My son when he's old enough (He is 1 now I will ride it until then) at that time the bike will be 76 years old .

That's really cool. Take good care of it and he'll get a great bike. I've got one I built over 20 years ago. My kids aren't interested but the grandkids love motor bikes. They're already fighting over them.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Thanks, Matt. I think I'd rather make toys than just about anything.
missed this post earlier, but you're very welcome :)

and i don't see a problem with that, especially when you're good at it.

you could probably make some serious cash and have fun doing it too.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I know it doesn't show much, but I've made huge progress in the last few days. Did the final assembly on my homemade rack and pinion. It was a little loose, so I found some thin aluminum to shim it with, added grease, made a dust cover to keep dirt out, and bolted it into the chassis. Installed the shifter.

Also made a dust cover for the bevel gears and greased them up. Works smooth and steers easily. Looks like the overhead steering used on old farm tractors.

Put the pulley on the gearbox.

Had to banana the drag link slightly to clear the dust cover.

Looks smaller than 1/3rd scale, but the numbers calculate out pretty close.

Making the exhaust and fitting a belt comes next. Stay tuned. I should have the new motor ready for the next photos. Hope to be test riding within a week.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I'm almost done with the motor. New rings, seals and gaskets. Lapped both valves and set the clearance. Still have to torque the head, put on the rest of the shroud pieces, bolt it down, slip the clutch onto the shaft and fit a belt.

Then I can work on the exhaust pipe and muffler. Some decals would be cool.