Back wheel trouble

GoldenMotor.com

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
You guys talk about going on the long rides but I don't trust my bike to go out of eye shot of the house. I went for my first adventure run on my bike last Sunday and I was left stranded 30 miles from home due to the rear hub failing. I went to stop and the pedals decided to spin with the back wheel and the hub came un-spooled. I took the hub apart and found the brake arm was spun around the shaft and the axle was snapped. I'm using a HD Macargi wheel with coaster brake I bought from Pirate cycle so I thought it was strong enough. I dropped it off at the bike shop today to see if I could get a chrome moly axle and a new brake arm, any advise would be appreciated. I also noticed that my clutch arm is getting really sloppy, any fixes for that? Thanks Ruppster

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
was the coaster brake arm mounted securely to the frame? if not, it would spin like that. a new axle and a secure coaster brake strap should hopefully solve it.

as for the clutch getting sloppy, do you mean at the engine or the lever on the bars?

it could be as simple as tightening the cable, or it may be the cable about to snap. they're pretty lousy cables to begin with, and you can replace it with a higher quality brake cable from your bike shop.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I don't want to use caliper brakes on this bike, it would take away from the antique Pee wee herman look. My brake arm never loosened up, the shaft actually rounded out the hole in the brake arm.
The clutch arm at the motor is very sloppy. The sloppiness is in the arm or case which is odd to me because the motor has very little usage and I did grease everything up when it was new.
My goal is to make this bike reliable as possible so issues like this are making me crazy.
While I have your attention, I have a solar carbide light that I converted to electric. I want to use but it doesn't have a mounting bracket and I can't come up with anything that . Does anyone have any ideas on a mounting bracket

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
sounds like a junky coaster brake if the arm spun out. i agree on the calipers, it wrecks the look of a cruiser. if the bike shop can't solve it, you might have to get a better hub and lace it up, or get a whole new wheel. shimano makes about the best new coaster brake as far as i can tell, but there is a Czech hub called a "Velosteel" that i want to try out, it's based on an old Sachs hub from the 40's-50's and looks indestructable.

as for the clutch arm, i dunno, they're sloppy if you don't have the cable hooked up, but with tension it shouldn't be too bad, unless your clutch is adjusted wrong. these motors vary so much, and i've never had that problem, so i can't help.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Thanks bairdco, I'll see what the bike shop comes up with for parts. I want to salvage my hub if possible because I have a sprocket adapter on it.The Velosteel hub looks very nice, it might be worth checking out. I really like that copper bike by the way, hats off to your work.
I realize the clutch arms are sloppy, I'm just concerned about that spinning on me too. I do have to check my clutch adjustment at the motor, I've been adjusting the cable only.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
This is the huskey wheel site I got from here ,but you will have to look through it for the wheel below

26" FRONT WHEEL WITH DRUM BRAKE HUB: Husky Bicycles

WHEEL 26x2.125 REAR COASTER BRAKE, 11G STEEL
Quantity in Basket:none
Code: 500-222
Price: $47.95
Shipping Weight: 30.00 pounds

Quantity:

WHEEL 26x2.125 with rear Shimano E-110 coaster brake, 11-gauge spokes (for HD-120 bicycle), chrome plated steel rim

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Thanks corgi1, I wish I had knowledge of all resources out there before I built my bike. I guess it's all part of the learning curve.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
fairly low price and possibly the adapter might fit,,,heavy duty spokes,and there are other wheels similar in the list

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Corgi1,
I wonder how those wheels compare to the Worksman wheels? They look to me like the best alternative out there.

Regarding a way to mount the headlight you're fabricating...
Below are three photos showing uses for a copper pipt hanger which I believe is called a "millford hanger" which I found at Lowes. I got it initially as a way to mount a gas tank I made for a Worksman newboy and later realized I could also use them to mount a headlight I made for my American. Later on I used it yet again to hang an expansion exhaust pipe. I find these to be very handy. I think it is the 3/4" size I bought... it will spread a bit to work on a handlebar. I like them because you can cut the arms to whatever length you want and have the light above, in front of or below the handlebars. About $1.50 each I think. They are steel plated in copper. Hope this helps,
SB

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I was thinking workman wheels but coulcn't find it in my saved favorites......
I do like those hangers