bike won't run unless on choke.

GoldenMotor.com

jmcgahran

Jun 16, 2009
pa
My bike won't run unless the choke is fully or 3/4 on. It order for it to be able to have some power and pull me over 5mph I need it to be on no choke. On full choke it will idle well. When I switch it to no choke it will idle for 3 seconds then die. This will happen at half choke to. Is it not getting enough gas?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Check all your gaskets even your exhaust as it can cause the issue like an airleak would also. I had the same issue but it didn't look like my gasket had done anything actually it
had blown out and a peice went down my Muffler ended up blocking my out put. it would run fine on choke or at low speeds but died when I got on it. Also do you use a fuel filter? if not pull out your little brass "fuel in line" it may be clogged and only letting a little gas through.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If there are NO air leaks... you need a bigger jet. (you can drill it to make it bigger)
It's real easy, I can tell you how.
I've had this problem on a few of my bikes. Every one was fixed by drilling the jet.(^)

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Use some kinda spray wd-40, brake cleaner. Small squirts where the carb hooks to the intake, where the intake hooks to the cylinder, around the base of the cylinder. When you hit the leak it will either speed up or slow the idle. The screw on the left side of the carb with the spring on it is the idle, screw it in a couple turns. Also if you only have a few minutes on motor the idle is going to get alot better with an hour or two run time.

marsrover

Mar 26, 2009
middle of nowhere
let me know if anything works my go-kart occasionly has this prob
i take off the fuel pump
blast it with carb cleaner
put it back on
runs for a few hours to a few days

josh5968

May 31, 2009
alabama
I locked up a motor with the same problem it sounds like an air leak use carb cleaner and spray around the motor until when you spray a spot it tries to go dead

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just be careful spraying the brake cleaner or carb cleaner....better to use some thing like water in a misting bottle or wd-40

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
I had a similar problem on my newly assembled bike. It turned out that the main jet holder was sitting down in the float, completely unscrewed. Remove the float bowl and check it.