centrifiugal clutch question

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
On the drum portion of the cent-clutch thier is a gear. Does this gear have a ratchet tye of setup or is it supposed to be directly connected to the drum? I get no output, the shoes engage the drum but the secondary(large gear) does not seem to turn. There is no load on the motor. Is anyone familar with this china clutch gear setup?:-||

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
On mine the pinion gear is tack welded to the clutch drum...

So your saying you rev the engine, inner clutch assembly turns, shoes open and engage the drum, drum then turns but the large ring gear does not at that point?

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Yes you are correct. Is the tack weld on the outside of the drum or on the inside of the drum? Their is no sign that this was ever tack welded. I had thought about tack welding it but was not sure that it should. Also I was hesitent as the gear is hardened and the bell flanges are soft (not the best for welding) but I'll take a chance once you tell me inside or outside. This my first build and didn't find the problem until I was ready for my first test(bummer)

Thank You

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Ok here's some pics of my clutch drum...as you see it's tacked on the inside in 3 spots. Now what I'm not getting here is why yours isn't tacked...could be it's stamped together maybe? I had a few issues with my centi...getting the whole assembly to run true on the shaft was a big one then of course after a few runs the shaft adapter started slipping. I remedied that by keying it to the shaft...dremel'd a key slot in the adapter (you can see it in the one pic) and then modified a key to fit the crank and the adapter.

Works awesome now :D

Edit: Something I'll add too is that I removed about .125 from the end of the fixing bolt...it was it was bottoming out in the crankshaft which of course is not desirable.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Thanks Rock,
My clutch was never welded. I have been playing e-mail tag with my vendor, trying to get the unit replaced. Thanks to your info at least I completly undestand the c-clutch. If they don't come through I'll try spot welding.
Thanks again.