Homeade muffler?

GoldenMotor.com

copmagnet80cc

Jan 7, 2014
Ohio
I just got an expansion chamber for my motorbike and it doesn't have a muffler on it...bad idea right? I was just wondering if anybody has any designs for a cylinder shaped muffler that could fit on my new exhaust.usflg

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Attach a 8'' length of pipe the same size as the exhaust to the end, drill it full of holes, slip a bigger pipe over it, fill the inner area with fiberglass matting or stainless steel potscrubbers, cap the ends with about an inch of the pipe with holes sticking out the back.
Look at scooters and pocketbike silencers for ideas. I'd simply buy a used pocketbike silencer and add it.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Maniac hit the nail on the head. I made a resonator for my Rx7 that way because I couldn't find one that fit my application. I needed a very specific length, but I wanted as much sound dampening as possible. It's actually very easy, and can be made quite inexpensively. I also like that I can make it bulletproof too, since the Rx7 is known for extreme exhaust heat and afterburn so intense that I've seen it blow mufflers to pieces!