I'm Pickin up Good Vibrations

GoldenMotor.com

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
Welcome to my first build! I picked up an older Huffy "Good Vibrations" for cheap and started the planning process on my build. I knew I wanted to go with some 19 inch ape hangers and just a chinagirl off ebay. Here are a few pics after I first put her together:

after a while, the butt to metal contact got a little too much so I cut the vinyl off of the seat that came on the bike and glued that to the seat:

here is how i have the motor mounted: (dont worry i'm going to get a much stronger and longer peice of metal for the "engine strap"

i've removed the coaster brake and am gone to a single speed rear wheel. I am running side pull brakes through a dual brake lever. I much prefer that.

Once I got the motor running right the rear wheel decided to give me some issues so I took it off and it's at the LBS getting repaired. I took the time that I have the rear wheel off to take the rest of the bike apart and start the painting process. Going to go with an army theme.

continued in post 2 due to too many pics

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
here is the bike apart and ready to be sanded:

here is the color i'm going with:although I think i'm going to find more of an olive drab green

and lastly, a little something to keep me more comfy:

Future plans are:
-mini keg rear mounted gas tank (if anyone has any insight on this let me know)
-white walls
-springer front fork
-maybe do a little stretch later on.

thanks for checking out my build

Last edited:

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
here is a little update for you guys:
while i'm waiting on the wheel I took the opportunity to paint the bike:
sorry i didnt take any while I had the bike completely apart and a picture of each piece. My phone was dead.... so once it was charged this is where I was:

got the shop dog of course (12 week old german/husky mix for the dog lovers out there)

going to get a mini keg tonight and should have it painted tomorrow depending on what time I wake up..... gotta do something with the contents of the keg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just a suggestion, but consider painting the engine to match the frame.

I have a friend who restores old military vehicles. He has several WWII motorcycles and the engines are all the same OD green as the frame and he is a serious competitor in shows and goes for accuracy in his builds.

Tom

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
this build is in no way show quality. the paint is just rattlecan and if I really wanted it to look good, I would have had the frame bead blasted before but I just sanded it, primed and painted it. I'm happy with it but up close you can see some imperfections. Mini update: the keg has been drunk and designs start for that tomorrow.

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
got the tank done and mounted today:

and here is the gas cap. it is something i got at the auto parts store and fit it on an exhaust coupler (cut in half for the filler tube). drilled a hole in the filler tube for a vent.

can't wait to get the wheel back tomorrow and take it on a ride again

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Better remove or reinforce the fenders before it bites you HARD.
Huffy does not use good enough hardware or fender mounts to leave them stock with a motor.
It is a proven deadly failure point.

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
Better remove or reinforce the fenders before it bites you HARD.
Huffy does not use good enough hardware or fender mounts to leave them stock with a motor.
It is a proven deadly failure point.
I definitely want to keep the fenders as I will probably be riding in the rain some days. is there a thread about how to reinforce them? My thought is to make them permanent and jb weld the bolts into place
Nice use of the mini keg! I can't wait to see it complete!
It should be done today! as soon as the guy calls me about the wheel I will go pick it up and throw it back on and cruise around town.
I wanted to do an olive drab paint job on my bike for awhile now. What brand of rattlecan is that? And the bike looks sick btw :)
I believe it's rustoleum camouflage paint "army green" i think it's called. Thanks for the compliment. it's not perfect but I was hoping to go for a ratty look more towards the future so I will let time do it's thing.

laff this emoticon is appropriate since i'm missing the back wheel

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Nice looking bike.

I won't need to carry on about the fenders because I can see that you got the 'heads up'.
But, yes, you want to reinforce those.

Now let me detour things just a bit; I have a cell phone that'll take photos. Not being a 'modern electronics' type I haven't even snapped a photo yet. But I'll be able to figure that out.

Can anyone tell me how to get those photos from my phone to my computer? If I had that, I could post more photos here. I've got a few mods and tricks that are likely to be worth seeing.

Maybe I can find my answer somewhere in the newbie section. I'll look. But if anyone can give me a hint, then that'd be good. And this thread could always go back to the OPs bike.

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
Nice looking bike.

I won't need to carry on about the fenders because I can see that you got the 'heads up'.
But, yes, you want to reinforce those.

Now let me detour things just a bit; I have a cell phone that'll take photos. Not being a 'modern electronics' type I haven't even snapped a photo yet. But I'll be able to figure that out.

Can anyone tell me how to get those photos from my phone to my computer? If I had that, I could post more photos here. I've got a few mods and tricks that are likely to be worth seeing.

Maybe I can find my answer somewhere in the newbie section. I'll look. But if anyone can give me a hint, then that'd be good. And this thread could always go back to the OPs bike.
thanks for the compliment.

what i do is i email the pictures to my self or send a picture text with the pictures to my email. then from my email i put them on to photobucket and post on here

mdschurtz

Jun 16, 2013
Greenville, NC
Thanks 2door! thats a great Idea to do and I will be fixing them that way when I get paid. Might just run without them for the time being. Got the bike to 99% today (1% is the fender fix now). Can't wait to go out and about the town today