Honda GX160............. w/electric start

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
A brand new GX160 that will get some mild mods and power the tandem better than ever. I like the fact that you just turn the key and off you go. It came with an 18AH 12 volt battery that will also be used for powering some serious lighting for night use.

It's time to tear it open and remove the governor and low oil sensor, then install a billet rod and a mild racing cam plus a few other goodies.

stay tuned.......

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Should I go with a hoot gearbox on this engine? Should I give a hoot one way or the other? Grubee, CVT, 4G, Hoot, EZM, jack shaft, direct drive or friction drive.......so many decisions.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hey Scotto, that electric start is pretty cool. Any pictures of the flywheel side to see how it's connected. I'm guessing a belt of some sort.
Pat

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Nice little motor for sure.

Can you tell if the ring gear for the starter is cast with the flywheel, or whether it bolts to the back of the flywheel? Curious if this will work with the billet alum flywheels.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Can you tell if the ring gear for the starter is cast with the flywheel, or whether it bolts to the back of the flywheel? Curious if this will work with the billet alum flywheels.
Without pulling the flywheel, it's just really hard to tell how it's attached. It looks to be a machined and hardened ring gear pressed and bonded perhaps. There are screws that hold the magnets to the inside of the flywheel for the charging system so I know this set-up won't work with a billet flywheel unfortunately. I kinda doubt a billet flywheel will ever be produced for the electric start engines.......looks like we'll be stuck to turning about 6,000rpm max. That's ok with this build as it's gonna be a long distance hauler moreso than a race bike.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california

I was just thinking the same thing. Lots of little surprises with the GX engines. Keeps it all interesting. Thanks for sharing the pics, Scotto.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I was just thinking the same thing. Lots of little surprises with the GX engines. Keeps it all interesting. Thanks for sharing the pics, Scotto.
No prob Pat, here's a few more to click on:

Attachments

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Some good news about a billet flywheel for these electric start Honda's.......JR Racing has a ring gear for them, the flywheel needs to be machined for it though. I'm quite surprised! 80 bucks for the starter ring.....ouch!

dnut

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Oops!

Didn't read that you had a billet flywheel.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
Thanks for the info Chris......I don't have a billet flywheel for this build and prolly won't go that route. I installed a Dyno cam and billet rod today......putting some 18lb. valve springs on right now. I'll build a pipe and might go a larger carb but that's about it. It's going on the tandem build so no need to go overboard on performance parts.

Thanks again for the link tho ;)

scotto-
dnut