Villiers 98cc BTR is complete

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Gotta say that's one of the best DIY bike builds that I've ever seen.
Excellent proportions. Very interesting details. That old school engine, your craftamanship and skill with adding patina makes this a very exceptional, very realistic antique replica.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey! Harry
You want a really cool pair of BTR handle bars, look up Voodoo Scorchers about $29.99-$39.99 depending on wich vender you purchase them through, I've got a pair for the Merkel and they're suitable for a Harley build or just about anything else, I bought mine through UniversalCycles.com I like the flat design you might too??

monark

Feb 1, 2012
sweden
Ooooo,you do have the right touche!Really nice work Harry.Nice to see you have something to do while waiting for the bits and pieces for the BSA to emerge.I must say i really love the "patina" as we say in sweden,another word for just the right amount of rust :) Saw the videoclip of it in action,must be hard to beat that feeling! Great Work.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Harry, what a nice, neatly put together machine. Is there no way you can legally ride it? If not, when Silverbear gets his pontoon boat up and running we will make the journey to visit and I'll buy it and bring it back here where it can be ridden. Nice work!

Dan

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey! Harry
You want a really cool pair of BTR handle bars, look up Voodoo Scorchers about $29.99-$39.99 depending on wich vender you purchase them through, I've got a pair for the Merkel and they're suitable for a Harley build or just about anything else, I bought mine through UniversalCycles.com I like the flat design you might too??
I like the price of my bars more.... $0.00.... and lot more self satisfying and seeing as ive made most of the other parts on the bike it makes more sense, and besides a new set of bars would stand out like dogs balls on this bike.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Harry, what a nice, neatly put together machine. Is there no way you can legally ride it? If not, when Silverbear gets his pontoon boat up and running we will make the journey to visit and I'll buy it and bring it back here where it can be ridden. Nice work!

Dan
In the state i live in internal combustion engines are illegal, and im fairly certain i wouldnt be able to resgister it, and even if i could it wouldnt be cheap or easy.

Its a shame but the future of this bike will unfortunately be limited to laps around the block and car/motorcycle shows, but i will always remember the times when i rode this daily for a few months. They were truly cherished times. Its a little dissapointing not being able to ride it, but hasnt stopped my love for building petrol bikes or for my love of this website, even if i cant ride my bike, i still plan on more builds.

Im learning soooooo much and truly enjoy every minute (well maybe not every minute lol) of the builds.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Would you sell it to someone out of your area if they could ride it? Or is it a keeper? Heck, you may move yourself one day, right?
I think it's a keeper. I doubt I'd sell it, it doesn't owe me much money (around $500) but its priceless to me.

I'll just have to attend shows to get use out of it. I actually entered it in Greazefest (big hotrod/ratrod and lifestyle show) last year but decided at the last minute not to take it. When I attended the show I was kicking myself for not taking it. So Im going to make sure this year I attend multiple shows with this bike and any others I have finished.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Not legal is such a shame!

Surely there's mopeds & scooters there, Isn't there a way to title/register it as that?

I know it likely wouldn't be cheap, but once done what’s to keep from switching plates from bike to bike...

Perhaps a clip on cluster of all the proper lights/turn signals, etc...

Nudge nudge, Wink, wink, say no more.

“-)

-Kirk

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Not legal is such a shame!

Surely there's mopeds & scooters there, Isn't there a way to title/register it as that?

I know it likely wouldn't be cheap, but once done what’s to keep from switching plates from bike to bike...

Perhaps a clip on cluster of all the proper lights/turn signals, etc...

Nudge nudge, Wink, wink, say no more.

“-)

-Kirk
Possibly Mr B, but i had a long long conversation with the first policeman that pulled me over. He was actually pretty cool also and was trying to be helpful, he was just doing his job, i said maybe i could try and register it, he pointed out that there would be no legal way of doing that (and he is correct), and even if i could my bike would need full wheel guards, a complete cover of the primary drive/belt, and partial to maybe full cover of the secondary belt and rear pulley........... i would need to run DOT tyres, lights and blinkers.

I could do an illegal chop and switch VIN's but thats not as easy to get away with here as Lurker is with his VTwin. Its a different mindset here i think. Most police (the switched on ones anyway) would plainly see it was made from a bicycle and do further investigating and most likely order my bike be inspected. I would be a lot more confident if i could get a very old scooters VIN as it may be more believable then say a 1985 Honda 50cc or something. I have a few mates with Harleys and Triumphs and they cant even get away without running a front guard and have been pulled over and fined. I may get away with it for a while but my guess is id come unstuck eventually.

It may be possible but all the extra stuff i would have to add would take away from the clean look i go for in my bikes, and weigh down this bike further, and it would be more of a pain in traffic then it already is.

I guess the answer is i dont see all the work being worth the reward, once i added all the gear to make it so called "legal" it wouldnt have the look im after and most likely be too slow to get much enjoyment out of.

Im learning my craft here and do plan on building a bike registered for the road, most likely from a Yamaha XS650 (ill need to keep up with my friends Harley and Bonneville) or similar and either doing a boardtrack inspired bike or bobber build. But for the meantime im happy doing more building then riding, besides i still have to get my motorcycle license.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Heres another difference to shed light on the situation, its a little off topic but im sure you see my point..... I see the cars and hotrods you guys in the states drive, im sure all arent legal but for the most part im guessing they get away with them.

Well over here 95% of fenderless Hotrods (the ones without running boards) have wheel covers, they are as ugly as **** but any that drive even semi reguarly are pulled over and fined over it. Crazy i know, its just how it is here. We have very strict road rules compared to you guys

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=w...&tbnw=148&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0

I remember my brother going to America around 15 years ago, and maybe things have changed but he was absolutely amazed at the cars STILL driving around after being involved in accidents and missing panels etc. He was a panel beater at the time and said theres NO WAY you would get away with that here, and i have to agree.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah, but you have AC/DC, Mad Max, and Vegamite, so it all works out.
I'd happily trade ALL of this things for the chance, no the right to ride my bike without harassment from the boys in blue...... Wanna trade?.... I doubt you would as you Americans don't seem to like our Vegemite :) but its great on toast, but be warned you only need a small amount of Vegemite

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
What is vegemite? And over there you have ayers rock, my dad wants to see that sometime. And kangaroos, those are cool. and a, really catchy commercial jingle.