PVC Pipe is a godsend

GoldenMotor.com

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Bucks County , Pennsylvania
I just made a few parts for my bike like a custom fender and vacuum formed a cooling system for my laptop comp complete with three fans.

I want to pose a question here... How come many of you dont take use of the 190 degree- 210 degree properties of PVC pipe to mould custom things like tanks or fenders or even a custom Switch center.

The possibilities are endless.. a whole front rack moulded and ready for a headlight, switch consoles, Handlebar mounts for your Ipod or even your GPS and Speedo.

You have to open your minds and Use things LIKE PVC that are cheap, moldable and cost PENNIES on the dollar.

A rough wood mould, a vacuforming jig for your shop vac or even good household vac like electrilux made of cheap perf board masonite you can buy for 10$ a 8x4 sheet and a piece of luan for 12 bucks and 2x4 or even 1x4 with slots cut in them to hold the luan and masonite.

I see alot of custom work and fabrication and My hats go off to all of you skillful artists... Canonball2 and his motorbike builds comes to mind... but I dont have specialized tools at all other then a drill, a grinder, a table-saw( a circular saw can do the same things if you know how to use it.) and I seem to be able to make things out of nothing but the parts and simple things I have available.

I want to see more innovative ideas here.. Post your NOT SO COMMON IDEAS HERE, The IDEAS, THE Obstacles you faced and how you overcame them in your own way.

This is the frugal section and you do within your means and get it done and RELIABLE> NOT TWO or three run things here... I DONT CARE if it was for a race car, your resto on your 69 rs ss camaro or your budget build bike.

I want to see Your ways of adapting here and using what you have to overcome a problem without a CNC machine or a lathe...

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wow BL this is a cool concept for a thread. Been racking my brain and cant come up with anything to contribute. I have a feeling your are probably gonna be the one to show us all innovations. I am figuring you are going to come up with an aerodynamic bike with wheel fairings and all!

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
How about some details on your vac form set up...pictures?? Great piece...I make digeridoos out of PVC and friends make HP Rockets and motors. You're right, the possibilities are endless. And when you think PVC, remember that Sculpy (polymer clay) is PVC. And Sugru (and the home made equivelants) are self hardening...check out instructables.com and let your imagination run wild. Now if I could just figure out how to mount my digeridoo onto my bike ;-)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The main reason we don't do it is because for most of us it is a new idea. If you didn't know about it then you sure wouldn't be doing it. I'm curious and not at all closed to the idea. On the other hand I admit that I have no fondness for plastic or even fiberglass, useful as it is. I never liked working with bondo or fiberglass. I like working with metal. Not saying I'll never make anything out of PVC, but for what I want to do with my bikes, I see limited applications. For somebody else, go for it and make as much as you can out of it. You are eloquent about it's positive aspects. Are there any negatives in working with it? Does it give off any gasses while it is heating? Some of us do not do well with airborne chemicals. Not that paint is all than nice either.
Reusing what is cast aside is always a good thing. That so many plastics are made in the first place is not such a good thing for our mother earth. But it is there and may as well be used for something. The price sure is right! While I may choose to not do it, keep doing what you're doing and show others how with a photo tutorial. I think you're a clever guy with a lot to share.
SB

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
I'm like SB, I like to work with metal. But I know there is applications for materials like PVC, Lexan, and even carbon fiber ($$$), although they may be limited on motorized bikes and such. But you can't beat good old metal, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't cut, weld, and grind on it!

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
When i was very young 17? I worked for a plastics company as a laborer....I got to see lots of vacuum forming...and he's right...it's pretty simple and VERY flexable.
This should be interesting....

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have made all sorts of things with PVC.
Fences, tables, chairs, a toilet plunger holder, shade canopy, ect.
I have also heated it up with a propane torch to get custom bends and shapes.
I am really interested in this vacuum forming stuff though. I really do not know anything about it other than what I have seen Adam and Jamie do on MythBusters.

Can you do the opposite and pressurize a softened tube and blow it into a mold?
How do you maintain even wall thickness either with vacuum or pressure molding?
I guess I gotta lotta Yahoo searching to do now......

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It has been done. You need to coat the inside of the PVC with Kreem brand or POR15 brand tank liner though, to prevent the gas from attacking the PVC over time.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
It has been done. You need to coat the inside of the PVC with Kreem brand or POR15 brand tank liner though, to prevent the gas from attacking the PVC over time.
My PVC tank held gas all winter with no ill effects, the tank liner may be overkill. I mean maybe in 5 or 6 years time the gas might eat away the PVC, but I think that would probably out last the engine.

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
I have made all sorts of things with PVC.
Fences, tables, chairs, a toilet plunger holder, shade canopy, ect.
I have also heated it up with a propane torch to get custom bends and shapes.
I am really interested in this vacuum forming stuff though. I really do not know anything about it other than what I have seen Adam and Jamie do on MythBusters.

Can you do the opposite and pressurize a softened tube and blow it into a mold?
How do you maintain even wall thickness either with vacuum or pressure molding?
I guess I gotta lotta Yahoo searching to do now......
I worked at disney for awhile...and they forced hotwater under pressure into steel molds to make fake bambo...you know...into cold water pipe.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Wm Holden, you are thinking along the same lines as I. That's called Hydroforming.Hydroforming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Many motorcycle manufacturers (and other industries) use it to make the intricate bends in the frame tubing. It is where I got that idea of pressurizing soft PVC pipe from. Sorta like a poor man's Hydroforming. I was thinking of using compressed air though.
I guess I will have to experiment on it for myself. I hope I don't blow up plastic shrapnel across my garage!

Edit:
After doing a Yahoo search on the subject and reading up on the process, I think I will stay away from using compressed air. The risk of decompressive explosion is just too great. I don't want to injure or kill myself!

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
When we inflated Aircraft tires (F15) after rebuilding them we did so in a cage.

I have seen two pop! It gets the blood pumping the first time you experience it.. I realized what a ring off the rim would do to a leg right away.. Solid iron bar still gets nicked and a wee bit dented.

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
ok I just type this whole long thing describing the differences and the methods used to form plastics but it took too long and the forum rest it all.. so here goes.. short version..

Wiki link PVC: Polyvinyl chloride - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... melts at 195-210 degrees for forming but does not eject many fumes.. Electric oven or torch is needed to mould to your specs..

HDPE ( stuff milk jugs and gas jugs are made of ) = High-density polyethylene Moulding temp is between 285- 300 degrees. you want to make sure that it doesn't turn trasnparent or it will stick to your gloves as you pick it up. Wiki here: High-density polyethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hows it made video shows how HDPE fuel tanks are made.. simple and to the point. Watch it to see the process.. ‪How It's Made Plastic Gasoline Containers‬‏ - YouTube

Ive made fuel tanks from both and never had a problem unless it was designed wrong. I have been working with both for oil or fuel based liquids since I was a teen. It doesn't take more then 10 psi to form HDPE and for PVC you need a bit more , about 30 psi to get it to form a shape.

When I get my new phone I will document the process for both and show what you can accomplish with some heat, a form and some patience.

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
I too was in the tire business for a bit... haha when a bead jumps off the rim.. your heart races and you just feel compelled to check yourself for wounds as well as putting your finger to your ear to make sure that fluid isnt leaking from your ear indicating a blown ear drum.