different size gears for beach cruisers?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I don't care about pedaling speed, only that I can pedal easily if the need arises. 36/18 should be ok for hill assist with the engine running. I may go up on the back a bit, perhaps 22 when I get paid next. 36 in the front is bound to make some sort of difference over 44 though. I don't have a multispeed. Lower pedal gearing will mostly be for hill assisting (my 98cc Lifan makes decent power, but its no Predator), or in case I run out of gas. I will most likely end up with 36/22 before all is said and done. I've got some cheap pedal chain right now that I can shorten for the 36, then when I switch to the 22 in the back I'll put my kmc 410H chain on and it should last a very long time as a pedal chain for me, being as how I only pedal when I need to.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I put engines on my bike so I dont have to pedal, I dang sure wouldnt be adding gearing that would make it harder when I do need to pedal........lol!

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I ordered the NOS bmx 36t chainring this morning. We'll see how soon it gets here. It'd be nice if it gets here by Thursday, my next day off before the central PA rally.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have to go with Butterbean this time. I only pedal away from stops, and in the case of motor failure. I want it to be as easy as possible to pedal.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I'm with both of you.

I mainly pedal thru intersections and when other cars, ESPECIALLY cops, are around.

xct2 This is to give the illusion that it is a bicycle.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
yes it will
After getting home so I could see things good on my computer instead of the Galaxy 3, I can see now that you are correct, this sprocket should work just fine on a standard coaster hub..... dang phone makes it hard to see and read things good...

Thanks for the tip on this, I ordered one about 3 minutes ago...... sorry for spurting off the doubt before I had a chance to look at things a bit closer......I was wrong...!

Cant wait to get it on my karaoke bike and see the difference it makes in the ease of taking off from the stop lights & signs, I hate needing to stand up and pedal because of the high gearing on the bike.

.bf.

Peace, Map

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm not sure from the picture if that will fit just any coaster brake hub. If you guys say it will, then it probably will. But it will work for me, as I actually have a Shimano coaster brake. And may I say on the subject of a Shimano coaster brake, don't get one unless you have a big empty space where you can brake it in. I've hit mine a few times, trying to do it gently, but this thing grabs so hard it would skid my tire if I was going fast enough and hit it long enough. It's a good thing I've got a front drum. One of these days I'll try to figure a way to break the shimano coaster in so maybe it wont grab quite as hard.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Never had that problem with mine, works better than any coaster brake I ever had. Maybe you need to adjust it? They can be tricky

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Once I get the 23T gear I'll post a side by sidde pic of it with standard 18T gear and show it installed on a wheel, i've got a brand new wheel master 24"wheel that has the 110 Shimano Hub.
I bet that would be a super easy to pedal gearing on a 24" wheel, might be to low geared on the 24".

I figured it only cost $12 to find out how it will work out so what the heck I've gambled a lot more than that on other parts in the past......

Map

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Be careful using the shimano coaster brake. The shoes grab super hard, and you could leave skid marks down the road using that thing. I just installed one on my huffy wheel, and its crazy how hard it grabs. Maybe cause its new. My 36t bmx chainring should be here Thursday. Don't know if I'll install it right away. I've got off the whole weekend (yay me! lol), so maybe Sunday if the wife don't mind.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I got my 36t bmx chainring today. It came with a vinyl decal, which I removed. I sprayed it with liquid wrench to help loosen the adhesive, then peeled it off and sprayed it again to remove any leftover adhesive residue. I haven't put it on yet and not sure that I will today. I have to deal with some engine troubles first.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Got my 23T rear coaster sprocket today, here's some pics that show a comparison between the 18T sprocket and the larger 23T, the wheel is a Wheel Master 24" with a CB-E110 Shimano Hub.

That 23T is sure gonna make pedaling easier, wont know how much until I actually use it but it's bound to help a lot.

Peace, Map
reddd

Last edited by a moderator: