Lifan/Genesis MTB, Its All Lowracers Fault!

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Since the last bike I built was for sure the end, the final one, no more, I ordered another Lifan to have on the shelf in case something happened to the ones I have, yeah right! Lowracer sent me a pic of his "Beast" Lifan powered speedster, I was smitten to say the least, maybe arroused was more like it. Anyway on to the back burner it went. When I saw the black Lifan, it clicked with the black and white Genesis. Now this is where I will probably loose Lowracer, this one is gonna be an FD. Auto clutch with the variable pulley. Top speed 30+ not the 45 like Lows. Will be a centered engine with a belt drive roller. Am waiting parts now, might have it going by weeks end. Im pretty sure the bungee will handle the torque loads ok.

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cannonball2,
Thanks for the props!!!
I look forward to watching this one come together.
If its anything like your last work of art, this one is gonna be pro!
Take lots of detailed shots since I want to see this friction drive setup you are creating.
I think you will like the handling once complete.
-Lowracer-

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Pretty much got the mount completed. This so far has been one of, if not the easiest builds yet. I have a feeling this is going to the the one I have been searching for. One thing about the Lifan over thr HF engine is the mount plate is removable. Makes fabbing a dream. This is a pure bolt together, I normally weld my projects, but this one is plenty strong bolted. The engine becomes a stressed member adding great structural integrity. All I need is the clutch, belt, jackshaft, and bearings, and a few hours and its done. Stuff is supposed to be here Thurs-Fri. The weight over the front is strangely unobtrusive all most feels like its not there. Lowracer says it will handle well and I believe it. The only place its obivious there is a motor up there is on the stand. Figure I will have to build an axle stand for it to make it behave parked.

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You might consider replacing the OEM fuel tank with a Happy Time tank, mounted on the top tube. That will shorten the height of the engine and lower its center of balance somewhat.

I ran a front-mounted engine once. To keep from tipping the bike over, I installed a two-legged center stand. That didn't work, so I tied both handlebar grips with a length of nylon flat rope to the seat post. That worked well, as it kept the handlebar from swinging over either side while parked.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I had that problem with my 24" bike with the Solex motor. I drilled a small hole through the head tube and stem. When its on the center stand I insert a pin which normally rides out of sight on a rare earth magnet. Keeps the wheel centered and is very stable. I will probably have to build a drop stand for the front wheel on this bike, which will also be helpful for maintence. Which tube are you referring to mounting the tank on? If lower than the carb then a pulse pump is required, not a big deal just another system to add. The tank is even with the handle bars now which is not to bad, and a full fuel load is only in the 3lb range. I have pedaled it with the engine and it is suprisingly normal in its feel.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
cannonball2,
I have played with engine positioning on both 'Wimpy1' & 'The Beast' & found that by keeping the engine as close to the headtube as possible & as close to the top of the front tire as possible aids handling on these FWD bikes.
Cant wait to see the rest of your project worked out...
p.s. Did you pick up the black Lifan @ Home Depot mail order?
-Lowracer-

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The engine is as far back as it can go, and it is real close to the tire, The roller is foward of the axle vertical centerline, which keeps the engine as low as possible. It is basically finished except for the shaft bearings, which better be here tomorrow! I built a centerstand for the front wheel. It securely holds the bike when parked, its really secure if used in conjunction with the rear axle stand. Yeah home Depot was the source for the engine, they just fronted it from a place in the midwest. I worked out the theoretical top speed on your bike based on the gearing, and it worked out to 55mph@4800rpm(wow!). 4800 is what I tached my ungoverened Lifan wound completely out.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
cannonball2,
I want to see your front wheel stand. I need to do something better when parking 'The Beast'. Right now, I lean it up against something & use a velcro strap to lock the front brake lever & brake to prevent the bike from rolling.
I use a centerstand on 'Wimpy2' & it works great on a rear engine, rear drive bike.
I clocked 'The Beast' at 50mph & have bypassed the governor too. Not bad for a 78lb, 2.5hp machine.
-Lowracer-

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
There is an old saying among homebuilt aircraft builders, "change one thing change it all". I had bought some compact dimension flange bearings off ebay, the jack A$$ sent the standard ones which are a half an inch longer. Not wanting to send em back and wait 4 more days I just modded the dang thing. Its really compact now, the roller is partially under the engine. Still have to relieve the motor mount a little more. All in all its fine, just a pi$$er. Maybe the pic will clarify how this is going to work. There is the stand Lowracer, works great, folds up and locks with a ball lock to the engine mount. Before you safety folks lecture me about the stand being in front, I know, but there was no other way. It has a positive lock and a safety. Trying to figure something cool to run of the extended PTO, A/C maybe. Down to paint and a belt now.

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cannonball2,
Looking good!
One of the things I had to do with 'The Beast' was fashion an exhaust system to route the fumes away from my person. I ended up cutting the header off of a 2 stroke poo-poo pipe & coonnecting it to a steel flex pipe, capped off with an Ace Hardware lawnmower sausage muffler...Sounds real nice & thumper-like & my clothes smell good...lol
-Lowracer-

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah Im probably in for the same, I believe your muffler outlet faced you, mine is away. Maybe it will diffuse enough in the on coming air to leave me alone. Otherwise I will just turn that muffler into a side exit with a down pipe. The top speed calcs to basically 35. The roller is over driven and its a 2.25", probably wont be much of a hill climber, have to plan my trips, but should be fun to have a faster FD.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Basically finished, just need the belt and to install the already fabbed throttle cable. Hope the Ace has a 23" belt, otherwise its sit for another few days and wait on a belt. Bought this bike last Sunday, and most of the time has been waiting on parts. Oh well! If it works like I figure should be a cool bike and not too heavy. We will see.

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cannonball2,
I run MTB slick road tires on 'The Beast' since it is only being ridden on road now. I'm not sure about running a friction roller on knobby tires. Cheng Shin (aka CST & Cycle Pro) makes a C241 balloon tire that works real well with my BMP friction kit that I use on 'Wimpy2'. I got them at Niagara Cycle online for around $8/ea (whitewall)...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have been running with great results, this tire on my rear FD, its not rounded like in the pic, more flat like a criuser tire. plenty of roller area. I am running the tire like you have on my direct drive MTB, and at approaching 400mi shows very little wear.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well "Beast Jr." lives! Have a few test drives under my belt this morning. This thing is awsome, scary, and cool all rolled into one! After the tire and roller became well accquainted in a mile or so, I poured the power to it, showed 33mph on GPS. Might have done a little more but I was running out of flat. Truth is I was just about to back out any way as Im not used to the esoteric 30+ atmosphere, I normally ease along 20-25(except on my Whizzer). Low, you got to have ****s of steel @ 50! Actually the speed wasnt as scarey as moving down the road on an unkown/uproven assemblege of Chinese origin, will be fine I am sure, but I envisioned all maner of failures(chicken!). The handling is very good, a little strange until underway, but once rolling, very soild, feels better the faster it goes. Any way I am pleased. The gearing is too high for my world of hills, so will drop back to a 3.5" pulley which will under drive the roller slightly, will have more low end pull then and top around 30mph. Looking for a relaxed cruise of 25-28. If so then this will be my road bike.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That thing looks both awesome and terrifying at the same time.
Thanks! Thats a pretty good description! Actually its bark is worse than its bite as they say. Its not something I will offer to my wife to ride(she rides some of my bikes), but its not difficult to ride. Its really knida cool if you are a machine head like me to watch the engine/drive work. This Maxtorque clutch is noisy like the last one, once I do the fix on it, the bike will be fairly quiet. Once I tweek the drive ratio Im gonna put it on the road to rack up some miles. We will see then what its all about.