Lifan 97cc/2.5hp Friction Drive

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
My latest build. This is the sweetest of my friction drives(I have 4). Very easy build, but the devil was in the details. This is my second Lifan 2.5, I cant say enough good about these engines. Quiet, smooth and powerful. They are not as cheap as the HF engines, but are more compact and bike friendly being up right. This one is driving through a 2" roller, theoretical top speed of around 28mph@ max rpm. I have left this one governed in the interest of test running it, and believe I will leave it that way. Once under way, you just open the throttle wide open and she eases along around 23mph. The governer handles the hills with no problem. No need to constantly adjust a twist grip. The overall ratio is around 14:1 so its a very good hill climber. In the interest of low CG I moved the engine foward, the muffler got pretty far foward and I thought I might need a heat shield or deflector, but there is no heat at all from it. The last thing I need to do is change the ratio of the clutch pull as it drags slightly at idle. That my only complaint. The total cost of this build was $115.00, not counting the 10yr old bike.

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Nice build. I hope we get away with that size engine for years. I got mine on a new frame with more room and it ran really well in my short test between the showers. Of course mine is the harbor freight model. I do like the position of the gas tank, I have had nightmares with mine.

Good work

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks deacon. Just came in from riding it. Got the clutch travel worked out so it idles nicely when stopped. Am really surprised at the grip the rubber roller has. Of course two like surfaces have high friction. Anyway I never worry about engine size. Have been riding over the limit engines for years and have never been stopped or asked about anything. Keeping a low profile in town is the secret. In Ga. you have to wear a helmet to be legal, I should but I never do, and the cops just watch with interest as I motor by. Im sure its not like this in other states or even towns maybe, I just happen to be in an area thats pretty laid back. Im gonna enjoy this one. Easy to work on. Undo the cables and 1 nut and the engine comes right off. The roller seems to be wearing well and if it goes, just make another one in about 10min. cant get much simpler than that!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
After riding this bike for about 60mi, I have to say I really like it. The rubber roller wears like iron. I havent found any measureable wear in 60mi of riding. The Lifan engine is superb. Mileage is gonna be great, I put exactly 1qt in the dry tank and ran it dry, got 44 odometer miles. So am figuring at least 150mi/gal, engine still breaking in too. Might go higher. Friction drive is not for eveyone, but the simplicity and reliability make me leave my more complex bikes at home on a long trip. Basically as long as the engine runs this thing is gonna go.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow Cannonball, suweet build. I really gotta get around to building one. (FD) Do you have a thread on how you made your roller? I am thinking of trying a boat trailer roller to have more contact. Was wondering just this morning how rubber would wear.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Could you post some close up photos of the engine mount and how you connected it to your bicycle frame? Very clever build! :)

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Heres the requested pics. Nothing really unusual, the typical "U" bracket which has been gusseted, holding a hefty piece of angle iron with the motor mount plate welded to it. The motor mount is held in place by a 3/8 bolt with two nyloc nuts. It pivots on an oilite bushing allowing clutch action. The "U" bracket is clamped to the frame with three grade 8 bolts and a hefty back up plate. Used an old motorcycle clutch lever to lift the engine, actually takes very little pull. All this is built for a 17lb engine would take far less structure for a smaller engine. Its not painted yet, I usually let em go through a teething period to show up any necessary changes then paint it.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Actually I started out to make this a bolt together. I didnt have hefty enough metal on hand to make th "U" bracket for an engine this size so out came the welder to gusset the bracket. If you are going for a 49ccish engine you would not need to gusset the bracket and the entire thing can be bolted together. If you are used to fabbibg small parts Id say this could be built in 1-1/2 hrs.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Just awesome Cannon. Really, really like this. Simple and bullet proof.
Thanks Dan! Was out on a 12mi round about this evening. Just love riding this thing. Cant seem to find any issues with it, so I guess its pretty much finalized. I may expeiment with different size rollers. A leaving it governed. Tweeked the spring to get abit more top rpm. Top speed under the governer is 24mph on GPS. I generally ease along about 22. Whats cool is once underway, open the throttle to WOT or nearly so, it holds the cruise speed on the level, backs down to engine braking down hill, and pours the coal to it up hill. The only time you mess with the throttle is to stop, or slow way down. All I have to do is sit there and enjoy the ride!

Frogboy

Jul 22, 2011
Ohio
Love the bike cannonball you and Deacon make some cool bikes. I'm always reading you posts very helpful Thanks. Can you guys please answer a stupid question I want a friction drive i'm going to go with the Dax kit and I'm not sure about anything would it fit on a GT1 cruiser bike well. The reason I ask is because the frame just over the back wheel seems a bit small. I know you guys don't have the GT1 but your the friction drive team and I'm sure you could tell by looking at it. This link has about the best pic to the back part of the bike I can find Thanks. Ezy Cycles - The motorized difference - Cruiser Bike

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Love the bike cannonball you and Deacon make some cool bikes. I'm always reading you posts very helpful Thanks. Can you guys please answer a stupid question I want a friction drive i'm going to go with the Dax kit and I'm not sure about anything would it fit on a GT1 cruiser bike well. The reason I ask is because the frame just over the back wheel seems a bit small. I know you guys don't have the GT1 but your the friction drive team and I'm sure you could tell by looking at it. This link has about the best pic to the back part of the bike I can find Thanks. Ezy Cycles - The motorized difference - Cruiser Bike
I think it would fit fine from what I can see. The kit mounting brackets generally speaking, easily fit a cruiser style like that, and are usually wide enough to clear the V-brakes if it has to mount that low. Most have 3 bolts in the mount clamp so you can get some pretty good pull down even on a narrow frame. I dont think you will have a problem but cant say 100% with out hands on.

Frogboy

Jul 22, 2011
Ohio
Hey cannonball Thanks for asking well I'm really leaning towards the Dax Super Titan XC50S with a friction drive kit on a GT1. My worries are 1. will it be so top heavy it's more dangerous then other MB's 2. Will the friction drive kit bolt up to the GT1( I have asked a few members and vendors they seem to say the same as you that they see no reason why not I guess that's about all I'm going to get but still a gamble. 3. I know a friction drive kit is what most here would call easy but can I really do this. 4. last but not least everyone says the 4 strokes are okay but the gearbox is not dose friction drive take the place of the gearbox or is the gearbox also part of the set up I'm wanting. I'm reading 10 hours a day on the forum and trying to not ask a bunch of dumb stuff but it's such a vast hobby.