USSR 1961 motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
This is one of my projects, renovation of an old motorized bicycle, "V-902" model, second genuine USSR motorized bicycle after "V-901".

Made in Lviv, Ukraine, in Lviv bicycle factory. When engines D4 (original ancestor of Chinese kits) became available in USSR, first of all they (engines) were mounted on standard 28" road bicycles, like this:

But big, high frame, big wheels and just one "Torpedo" brake was too weak and dangerous for driving with motor. That time (1959) there were not so much asphalt roads in Russia, so endurance was crucial.

Thats why constructors in Lviv created special frame set for D4 engine, with additional hard tubes, strong Cho-Mo frame, amortized fork, drum brake on front wheel.
V-902 became first high-series motorized bicycle in USSR, because Krarkov bicycle factory could not produce very much their own constructed V-901, they had to produce more and more ordinary, non-motorized bicycles.

First historical V-901 motorized bicycle in USSR:

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
Well, here is model "V-902":

It was written in newspaper:
"Lviv bicycle factory starts to produce new samples of motorized bicycle. 2-tact D4 model engine has 1 hp, and able to run up to 40 kph, using 1-1,2 liters of gasoline per 100 km. This year factory starts mass production, and planned to produce 50 000 motorized bicycles per year."

Idea of renovation in European style is to gain as much, as possible condition, similar to condition, when bicycle came out from factory. As much new details and modernizations, as possible.

I started with collecting genuine parts:

Then bought 1961 year engine, in pretty bad condition:

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
Engine cleaned, re-assembled, rusty bearings changed to SKF.

Brake drum cleaned, polished

Spokes cleaned in citric acid:

then galvanized and wheel assembled:

Handlebars assembled, polished:

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
Then gave to painter, paint in special workshop, because I by myself could not gain so much paint cover quality.

Quality control: :D

Started to assemble:

Pre-assembled:

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
Fastest ride was when using my second vintage motorized bicycle, during retro-moto season start party: :)

attention to detail
80% of screws and bolts are genuine. 20% left - modern ones, inox steel, abraded for appropriate lookout :) Flashlight wire - with cotton isolation, similar to used those times... Couldn't find cotton isolated spark plug wire.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
... Couldn't find cotton isolated spark plug wire.
If you wish to make a "braided" spark plug wire cover, you could try a chunk of cotton clothesline... some has a braided outer shell w/a stranded inner core - if ya cut off a piece you can pull out the inner strands, leaving just the outer, braided cover. Squishing the ends closer to each other will cause it to expand to be able to insert the plug wire (end caps removed ofc), then pulling the ends away from each other will cause it to contract & tighten on the wire, much like the "Chinese Finger Trap" toy...

It may take some experimentation, you may need to glue the ends in place to prevent movement - but it outa work *shrug* or... it's possible you may be able to do this with some coaxial cable's shielding if you want a "metallic" braided cover (copper is common)... but I think they sell metal braided covers for plug wire sets as a "dress up" kit for cars, it may be easier to buy them at an auto parts store if ya want a metal one... but they tend to be chrome which won't match your bike...

Jus' a thought :)

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
search for vendors of antique hit and miss engine parts. I bought braided plug wire for an old mcCormic Deering 4hp engine that I restored about 5 years ago.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
First, welcome to this forum and second, thank you for the detailed build series. You are a good craftsman and have brought back from rusted and forgotten parts a piece of Russian and motorized bicycle history. Third, that is a cool bike!
SB