Kawasaki FE120 4-stroke build coming up...

GoldenMotor.com

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
And people thought the Hf 2.5 was a large motor to rack mount. lol

That is awsome. My entire rack pivots similar to your mount plate. I welded two bolts two the bottom of my rack so I could adjust it up and down. Only problem was I didn't use long enough bolts so I still had to add a chain tensioner.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Alrighty then gang or hey troops, listen up....ok? Ok peeps or ya all....I don't know how to address the general public forum of motorbicyclistslaff

Washers would work fine, in fact was gonna use em for the back but decided to go with nut adjustment. Nut adjusters....that sounds kinda funny don't it?

dnutrotfl

Very cool and interesting Scotto.

Not sure why yer calling us "OK folks"

I speak well of you, man!

snork

laff

Really like the hinge Idea. I had been thinking washers.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Scotto. I had just woken and cracked me up. I gotta learn to "rest room, coffee, read/post" in that order.

I think in proper MB English it would be "all y'all" Snork

"Nutless adjusted for easy chain tensioning" Could be a selling point.

Ya really got me thinking about a hinged mount. Not a big deal but would make oil changes a snap.

Some really great builds going on of late. Really cool to see.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well then, got a lot accomplished today....the only thing that needs to be done before it can be ridden is to finish the throttle setup....that's it!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
And here's a few more of the nearly completed tandem build. That handle on the rack is sure a handy thing. Tensioning the chain is a breeze with this set-up....only the throttle to finish now and then the ride!

URL=http://img821.imageshack.us/i/img1217v.jpg/]
[/URL]

URL=http://img32.imageshack.us/i/img1218si.jpg/]
[/URL]

Next up will be riding the 2-seated beast....sure glad I get to be the pilot, heh heh!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I live to check out a nice racks.....actually I have to give credit to dax for
the copy because he probably has it copyrighted...

That is one hulk of a machine Scotto, best of luck on your maiden voyage!
Thanks man...I can't wait! Soon....very soon.....

The only difference is this is 4+hp torquey 4-stroke with a rack that will handle it.......it's notdax, WoW!

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
OMW! Oh My Word......this build is insane.....insanely fun! It is so smooth, so quiet, so fast and powerful, it's almost a joke!

Finished the throttle today and braced the tranny to the rack as well. Take off on the maiden voyage (solo) and this thing performs flawlessly. The quietness, smoothness and speed were amazing....I honestly almost could not believe it, Pat and I were laughing our heads off, the thing is crazy.

Took some short vids of it tonite and will take more tomorrow in the daylight. Here's the last pics of the build, I'll post todays vids shortly....what a beast indeed!

URL=http://img834.imageshack.us/i/img1239h.jpg/]
[/URL]

Cheers!

quantogs

Dec 28, 2009
SoCal
Uh oh Scott, i spy a problem but I do admire your build and enthusiasm! Last summer I did just this same build on a cruiser with a Briggs&Stratton.

These are the only crummy pics that remain of the build. Let me tell you what issues I ran into and what I learned from this particular build. It's my third variation of a motorized bicycle (out of 5 now), and I would prolly never do it this way again.
The center of gravity is waist high which makes the bike unmanageable and also very wheelie happy. Very. I had a giant sprocket on my drive wheel which was all I had at the moment resulting in a very low gear. The full weight of the engine is sitting over the rear axle and at the first sign of an uphill grade or even a pebble in the road the front wheel will shoot into the air. This project only lasted a few miles when the front tire just slid out around a leisure bend in the road and turned the frame into a taco. That's another thing, the front tire has minimal traction being that the weight distribution is now (approx) 15%front and 85%rear.
I would recommend strapping that engine to your book rack and pedaling around the block to get a feel for it, you'll prolly agree it feels like a monkey on your back.
Good luck! Hope my story helps.

quantogs

Dec 28, 2009
SoCal
Oops! I didn't know this post was 6 pages long and that the bike in question was a tandem. Very cool about your maiden voyage!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Oops! I didn't know this post was 6 pages long and that the bike in question was a tandem. Very cool about your maiden voyage!
Yeah it's a little different being that's it's on a tandem and all, but we were riding solo tonite and the handling is certainly strange but managable. Even so just moving the bike around, the front is now feather light and the rear trully does weigh in the neighborhood of a ton or so. 34lbs. of motor, 15 or so lbs of the rack I built for it, the tranny, chain, 50t steel rear sprocket....not too mention the rather high-ish center of gravity.

I agree this much motor on the back of a regular cruiser would be out of the question. As it seems so far, this thing is going to be a blast on a bicycle built for two! It's gonna fly uphills and I had it up to approx 40mph at 3/4 throttle (if that) with just me on it......amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2uKrsUQawU

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Quantogs, thanks for that information. was just considering whether to build a rack or pusher build with a HF .

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It's up and running like a champ.....we got to put a few miles on her today after installing a new Shimano V-brake up front. Got a new V-brake for the rear that we'll install in addition to the existing rear cantilever. Added a Cateye wireless cyclometer as well. Things we will upgrade asap include Cloud 9 saddles, higher-rise handlebars, 26x1.5" treads and a surfboard rack! We had it up to 41mph today in the neighborhood, it will go even faster. Some more pics....

YouTube - VTS 05 1

This bike is a blast!

quantogs

Dec 28, 2009
SoCal
Nicely done Scotto! Pretty soon I'll have my bike on the road which happens to be a tandem also. Only difference is that I removed the stoker's saddle and bars in favor of a B&S 5hp flathead. Working on the mount and jackshaft at the moment. Depending on your gearing and when the governor on the engine kicks in, I'd say your bike should do low 50s. Maybe faster, I think it just comes down to your nerves. My personal best is 52 on a pusher. Keep us informed on your upgrades as I will do the same.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Nicely done Scotto! Pretty soon I'll have my bike on the road which happens to be a tandem also. Only difference is that I removed the stoker's saddle and bars in favor of a B&S 5hp flathead. Working on the mount and jackshaft at the moment. Depending on your gearing and when the governor on the engine kicks in, I'd say your bike should do low 50s. Maybe faster, I think it just comes down to your nerves. My personal best is 52 on a pusher. Keep us informed on your upgrades as I will do the same.
I'm guessing this thing will do 45-50mph (2 riders ) with this gearing....it seems to climb hills pretty well so far too.

My personal best is also 52 mph...on a stand-up scooter on flat ground. There's always room for improvement!