chain drive to belt drive conversion

GoldenMotor.com

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
Here is my cream colored bike which has a 5 horse Briggs and is a real fast bike to ride. However, it was built more for show or display and could not handle the speed and power it was capable of so I removed the chain drive with it's flimsy sprocket and lightweight chain and ordered new powder coated wheels, new tires, and a Whizzer style sheave (pulley) for it. Now all done and I have been riding it. Much safer and reliable now. Still fast and powerful. Here is how it looks now.

Attachments

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
right on flats !!!! that is one awesome bike Love it the vintage style tank the colors everything about it.those white tires really set it off.I looked at your other ones but like this one best followed closely by the maroon one. where did you find those beautys if you dont mind me asking. Good to see another kansas boy on here im not to far from you. anyway good lookin bikes keep those pics coming can never have to many

povertyflats

May 22, 2010
near Salina Kansas
Thank you, all 4 of my bikes came from Illinois. I bought one which lead to another and so on. You know how it goes. They sure are fun. Taking a couple to a big national car show later this week in the back of 2 old vintage Chevy trucks. More on that later.

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
I understand completely i havent gotten close to finishing mine and already lookin at other frames and engines.Vintage chevys and motored bicycles? DUDE YOU ARE LIVIN THE LIFE.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi yes that is Whizzer Motorbike sheave, not American Vintage (1939-1965) type, first time I have seen it on that side of the wheel, nice job.

Mike

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
The lines of that bike are spot on..! It looks so much better with the bars straigh than it did with them dropped, and the tires makes it come together, well done!

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Want an easy sheave, notch a 20" aluminum bike rim. Just don't try to get
a looped thru the frame as I did in this mock up.

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
:-||:-||Well,
evidently if I've already loaded the pic with the 20" rim sheave to another
thread the server won't let me load it here???

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That IS a nice bike!

..I'd like to see a shot from the rear to see how those stays were bent, also...

interesting stuff going on with your jackshaft, too... what's up with that?

Best
rc

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Awesome bike build. Love the color. Simpsonmotorbikes.com sells the wizzer shive for $39 I think..............Curt

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'm gettin' old.
Takes a bit for me to catch up on things.
Brain just doesn't work as quick as it used to.
Yah, it's a nice looking bike!!! with perhaps only a single flaw I've noticed so far.

It's like one a them Mobius figures, or a Klein bottle.
Impossible shapes...

Something that can't be built.

Well, this one can! lol
And the weld on the chainstay proves it! lol

Trek recently came out with a belt drive bicycle that uses a bolt-in piece in the dropout. I've only seen a few pictures of it, and have not heard of people clamoring to buy them.
...But then again, I'm not an avid pedal guy...

Probably better to re-do that bottom chainstay so it is two pieces, that pass alongside each other, with a couple bolts to hold them together.
Well, at least better than carrying around a spare belt, a hacksaw, and a buzz box! :)

and it needs some more color for an accent... :)
the truss rod up front is quite noticeable because it helps the look.
same as the seat.

Enuf criticism! lol
It's a nice bike!

Best
rc

This is some work by MCEscher. He was a graphic artist that did 'impossible figures' and stuff like that.

Attachments