Broken Bone

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
For the last 4 summers ive injured myself in some way. Fractured left wrist from skating, fractured third metacarpal of the right hand from punching the brother in the face, 5 stiches into the right thumb from fool with a rusty folding chair (was tryin to throw it), and most recently a fracture collar bone from a non-motorized bike wreck.
Im sure i just sealed my fate to continue the streak. why you ask, well i just bought a "vintage unicycle".ill let that sink in lol.

it was odd asking my mom is i can buy a unicycle of ebay, but she said yes.
im betting i will break a elbow. mabye an ankle.

Sam

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'm betting it's a head injury. i had a unicycle when i was about your age. they like to tip you over really fast. if you have really good reaction time, you'll stick your arms out before your face hits the ground, so then it's just another broken wrist.

don't worry, you're young. just drink a lot of milk.:)

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
i crashed my mb just yesterday it required over 70 staples in my left leg and made my good shoulder my not so good shoulder, im out for the summer :(

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
You might wanna be a little more careful about breaking bones. As you get older, the bones you have broken in the past, will remind you that they were once badly mistreated.
I can say this because of a motorcycle wreck, 14+ years ago, that left me with 72-96 fractures. When it is cold and wet out I think I can feel each one reminding me of the abuse I heaped on them way back when.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
You might wanna be a little more careful about breaking bones. As you get older, the bones you have broken in the past, will remind you that they were once badly mistreated.
I can say this because of a motorcycle wreck, 14+ years ago, that left me with 72-96 fractures. When it is cold and wet out I think I can feel each one reminding me of the abuse I heaped on them way back when.
That is about the most true statement you could make. I was once very similar acting to weekend fun, though I didn't break as many bones. The one's I did break and my back now give me fits. I had to have nerve blocks in my back last year. It had gotten to the point that I couldn't move. I was 33 then. I can only imagine what the 50's and 60's are going to feel like if I make it there. I will put it out there for anyone else with back problems, try the inversion table. I picked mine up at Academy for $100. That was the best $100 I have ever spent.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
i'm betting it's a head injury. i had a unicycle when i was about your age. they like to tip you over really fast. if you have really good reaction time, you'll stick your arms out before your face hits the ground, so then it's just another broken wrist.

don't worry, you're young. just drink a lot of milk.:)
Thats the thing. i hate milk. and cheese (when its not in pizza form lol). and yogurt.
Im supossed to be taking 2 calcuim pills a day, but you know......

Sam

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
That is about the most true statement you could make. I was once very similar acting to weekend fun, though I didn't break as many bones. The one's I did break and my back now give me fits. I had to have nerve blocks in my back last year. It had gotten to the point that I couldn't move. I was 33 then. I can only imagine what the 50's and 60's are going to feel like if I make it there. I will put it out there for anyone else with back problems, try the inversion table. I picked mine up at Academy for $100. That was the best $100 I have ever spent.
yea i try my best but.....ya...

And its strange, i thought i would break a bone when i started doing roller hockey (not on a team just against my brother). SPeaking of roller hockey, thats what should wear. roller hockey pads. hahah i can just imagine that..
Sam

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
LoL, I never wore shoes as a child and spent many days doing nothing but jumping off of buildings and out of swings. Now it has started to catch up with me. My feet are smashed doctors can fix it but I wouldn't be able to walk for a year if they did, because they'll have to smash'em and put them back together. I still am a wildland fire fighter most years, I do my packtest , I march like ordinary men cannot........and it hurts like effin **** but I do it!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Sam.
Unicycles are pretty cool, especially ones with motors... (just kidding). Reminds me of when I worked with a family of adopted Ojibwe Indian kids. Seven or eight of the twelve (the older ones) all had unicycles and are asked to take part in parades up this way. Whenever they would start to fall they'd step off the bike, land on their feet and stick a hand back to catch the bike. I never saw any of them get hurt. Maybe practice stepping off so you're automatic about it. Have fun!
SB

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Hey Sam.
Unicycles are pretty cool, especially ones with motors... (just kidding). Reminds me of when I worked with a family of adopted Ojibwe Indian kids. Seven or eight of the twelve (the older ones) all had unicycles and are asked to take part in parades up this way. Whenever they would start to fall they'd step off the bike, land on their feet and stick a hand back to catch the bike. I never saw any of them get hurt. Maybe practice stepping off so you're automatic about it. Have fun!
SB
thanks! thats a good idea!

Sam

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
I had a unicycle and was real good at it untill someone in my family broke it. also have you considered that your mishaps are not completely "accidents" Karma is a MOFO, punching your brother in the face, dude my brother hit me in the face causing my orbital bone(the bone that holds your eye in place) to fracture causing me to have a titanium plate put in my face to hold it together, I hate him now and will never forgive him for the pain he put me through you can chalk it up to sibling fights but he will be a piece of in my eyes forever more. Im just saying

Last edited by a moderator:

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Well, I didn't punch him in the face, it was the forehead since he ducked at the last second. It didn't hurt him that much. We actully laugh at it sometimes.
Sam

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
when i was learning to ride my unicycle, i found a wall that was between shoulder and waist high, then used that to prop me up and to catch me as i rode along next to it.
That sounds like a good idea. I was picturing that and it occurred to me that early training on a unicycle probably contributed toward a keen sense of balance while on a bicycle of any kind, making you an agile rider. In the same way gymnasts have a great sense of balance.
So Sam, take care, be patient, yeah do wear some protective gear especially at first and learn something!
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
also wanted to say, i had my unicycle when i was 9 or ten. i was over it in less than 6 months. mostly because you can't go anywhere on it, and the crank broke.

a few months ago i was at a buddy's house and he had one rusting away in his garage. after a few beers, i got on it and rode it around the driveway for 5 minutes or so without crashing.

so, 30 years later, i still remembered how to ride one. or maybe it was just the beers.

(warning, drinking beer and riding unicycles is NOT recommended.)