List of Most Common Breakdowns???

GoldenMotor.com

Mark0913

Apr 23, 2019
Question about exhaust pipe. Within the past few weeks I was riding along kinda fast. Gave my bike some gas heard a loud noise and exhaust pipe blew off. It only broke off at the lower fat part of the exhaust the rest was still bolted to the engine. Any idea what is going on with this?

Reactions: indian22

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
I bought my motor and out of the box the piston were broken. So i bought a 2nd motor while i waited on the new rings. List of issues....
1. Every mounting bolt including exhaust failed and required replacing
2. Carburetor failed twice.
3. Clutch cable broke.
4. Gas tank leaked.
5. The spark plug was stripped and forced out of the head while riding out nowhere. Replaced it and the next day.....
6. The engine siezed out of no where (all of the previous issues were within the first 4 weeks at 16 hours of use).
7. I installed the other motor i had finished building with new rings and replaced every bolt to avoid the same failures i had with with first engine. This time it ran like a top with no issues until at about 4 weeks and 16 hours of use again the engine seized out of no where. Anyone have any ideas? I was running a 20:1 mix which should have been plenty rich. I have no clue why this keeps happening. Any thoughts would be helpful.
where are you buying your motors and what are you getting.... kelly

Mark0913

Apr 23, 2019
Does anyone know if riding in the cold weather then letting the bike not completely cool down and go back out in the cold would that make an exhaust pipe break?

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
my daily rider has been in and out and its got cold and ive mostly left it out, but it would take a pretty drastic pretty quick temp change to break an exhaust id think, if yours has broken give us some more detail and maybe a pic.... kelly

Mark0913

Apr 23, 2019
my daily rider has been in and out and its got cold and ive mostly left it out, but it would take a pretty drastic pretty quick temp change to break an exhaust id think, if yours has broken give us some more detail and maybe a pic.... kelly
Pennsylvania cold weather sucks. I rode home from work yesterday (about 25 degrees) then left about 10 minutes later and rode for 5 minutes gave it gas and heard a noise than it got loud and realized exhaust pipe blew off. The part that is fater broke off the thinner part which stayed connected. Can send a pic when I take one

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
Mark, the most likely cause for your pipe breaking is vibration. Personally I like a rubber mount out at the end of the pipe and here's a pic of mine to give you an idea of what I mean.

DSCF0829[1].JPG

That's a grommet with a metal sleeve inside it for the bolt to tighten up on. No metal to metal contact. The idea is to go ahead and let the end of the pipe vibrate thereby relieving stress on the thin metal they're made out of.

Your situation is obviously different but I hope that helps.

Last edited:

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Wow problems in a list for my builds , first would be the online wait for parts takes days and thears no shop around my area that I can walk into and buy parts big problem when your patience is limited, as for mechanical breakdowns, always the chain weather miss align or faulty links, my brakes go out all the time the disk break in front vibrates loose backes out the bolt that's holding the pad in place, also the tires will go fast especially mtbike tires knobby tires wear fast go bald then your in the area of a tube bulging out the weakest spot in the bald tire , very important to remember the bearings in the rims and the axles must be greased whatever is used hi temp bearing grease, or tractor grease no matter them bearings will go fast if left dry and if the axle is loose and neglected the rim will grind down loose bearings in about a block distance stay on top of that, and a bunch of other wear and tear that's normal , I'd list more but I'm burning day light I gotta ride the weather is nice here in the bay area ca I'm taking advantage of it ,RIDE TO LIVE ,LIVE TO RIDE , even if it is a motorized bike

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
the most persistent problem i see is nuts and bolts backing out from vibration stuff falling off if you dont keep up with it ive lost aircleaners ive lost a number of tail lights intake and exhaust backing out and that can be especially bad on an intake manifold and go lean. cover bolts i had the bolt in the small bevvel gear back out until it put a hole in the cover. tensioners not only do the loosen up but it seems the stock mandrel bolt in the roller always strips. had the set screw in the pressure plate back out then the flower nut follows...when i do a build now at the point of final assembly i locktite blue everything that can locktite through the whole bike..where possible i double nut the mounting studs and the tank straps double nut the tension roller mandrel...then is the issue of stripped threads intake and exhaust stud both intake and exhaust will save that headache down the road...then a persistant maintaince program to stay on top of the rest....happy trails...kelly

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Very true Kelly ive had and still have problems with bolts backing out just 2 days ago I lost a air cleaner the bolts on the sprocket and motor mount loosend up to the point that the chain came off in motion it happens no big, so the wheels I want to add tend to slip inside the tube valve stem will pinch and tear very bad in motion solution for me is sprayadhesive inside the tire before the tube prevents slippage and I myself believe in slime for the tubes at least very good product if use correctly and too much to list soooooooo preventitave maintenance is the key , right? I hope anyway

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Tools are a must to carry along,one never knows when the next episode or delima might occur,my basic are usually allenwrenchs, vice grips, a leatherman, and some mini alcohol shots for the stress(never leave home without)

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
Tools are a must to carry along,one never knows when the next episode or delima might occur,my basic are usually allenwrenchs, vice grips, a leatherman, and some mini alcohol shots for the stress(never leave home without)
I agree : ) after my last ride ive decided im going to order a couple master links. I usually press chains but a master would have saved me some pedaling for sure .... kelly

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Don't forget the mini shots for the stressful times right before you take the bike apart and especially one for when the fix is fixed other than that luck and maitenence