Chain Tensioner problems.

GoldenMotor.com

>ScCruisin<

May 29, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey guys,

I joined this forum pretty recently when i got my first bike going, just to ask a couple noob questions. But i've beem getting a little better at tinkering with these awesome bikes. Anywho, my current issue, which isnt that big of a deal, is with my chain tensioner. I will adjust it prefectly so that there is about 3/4" to 1" slack, the tighten the bolt as much as i can, then thread lock it. but everytime i got to work and back, which is about a 6 mile ride, my chain is loose again. Probably with about 1.5" of slack. Yet the bolt is still on there good. Anyone have any suggestions? it just bothers me because for one, i dont understand what is going on, and two, my bike runs extremely smooth when the chain is tensioned just right and i would like it to stay that way! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Assuming the entire tensioner isn't moving, that your build is still comparatively new, and that your rear wheel isn't shifting in the dropouts - I'd hafta guess it's simply sprocket wear. Often called "chain stretch" (not entirely inaccurate but also not primary), it takes some time for the chain to seat completely in both sprockets - for all three components to wear together and "match" properly.

Considering the... less than perfect manufacture of all three - it often takes far longer than you'd expect, sometimes seemingly never ending as is the case with my setup. I replaced my chain with a 410 well over 2500 miles ago, though it's not nearly as drastic as it was initially - I still suffer from what I consider "undue stretch" and need to keep a watchful eye on it.

Slightly off-topic but still relevant, have you bent the tensioner to be inline with the chain and not the dropout? I only ask as this is often overlooked... there's much advice regarding the bedanged tensioner to be found here on the off chance you've not seen it: http://motorbicycling.com/f11/chain-tensioner-suggestions-11815.html

I hate the blasted thing, if any of the alternatives in that thread are suitable defo "get rid" of the stock setup - including actually getting rid of it entirely if your build allows it ;)