Bike good:Muffler bad

GoldenMotor.com

daledoo

Jan 16, 2010
West Palm Beach
Been running the bike today. I got the stock exhaust poie, gives me clearance for peddal, but the bottom fell out twice. The screw in the middle doesnt even screw on to anything inside the exhaust.
Unless it expands something. Cheap pipe I tell ya.

Any one with grubee 48 experience on this one? How to fix so no fall out.zpt

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the hole might have stripped out. it's supposed to have a welded tab inside, covering a pipe. hopefully that tab hasn't broken off as well. if it's still there, check to see if the threads in that hole are gone.

if they are, then you can buy a tap from Ace Hardware or anywhere that sells tools. get one the next size up, i think 1/4-20 will work on those. also, buy a 1/4-20 bolt, lockwasher, and flat washer (i'd bring the pipe with you, and match it up, incase the hole's bigger.)

on mine, a 1/4-20 tap worked, and i didn't have to drill the hole any bigger.

tap the new hole, put the cap on, and tighten that sucker up.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While what bairdco said is the best way - I found that unfortunately it doesn't always stay fixed. Even with a lockwasher and a retapped hole mine would rather have been bouncing down the road than stay put.

My short-term solution was a coupla tack welds to keep the cap in place (tack welds so I could grind them off should I need clean inside) - my long-term solution was to replace the cheap, restrictive POS with an expansion chamber and silencer.

I'd defo recommend the latter should it be in the budget, stock can falling apart aside - the performance gain of a proper exhaust system is worth it in itself ;)