Friction Drives

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ooopss. I should have looked better the gas cap is missing and the pull rope is badly frayed. looks like the engine was well used after all. But it looked so clean lol. Just as bad as ebay.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I removed the clutch and plan to put the drive directly onto the drive shaft. No chain to deal with. I had enough of that with the weed whacker/ scooter wheel.

I did keep the pull cord to start it and warm it up before I take off. I may go with a lift clutch like the first weed whacker bike had. Then again I might not. I'm not even sure the motor runs yet. I need to get a gas cap before I can try it. If I can't get a gas cap, I will go with a different tank mounted onto the bike frame.

If the engine were bigger I could go with a direct wheel drive but frankly friction drive is much easier to do.

the problem have is the drive shaft is threaded backwards which is fine but I can't seem to match the nut that held it in place. I can use it but I would rather have a nut to use the drive I already have made.

Would you happen to know what if there is a standard nut for the drive shaft on a poulan 33cc engine.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Deacon Lightning Storm Here All Day (pensacola, Fl) Keep Knocking The Power Out For A Second And The Computor Has To Reboot And I Loose My Long Winded Replys Just Before I Send Them. This Is My 4th Try Since Your Last Post On This Thread. If You Could Get Your Drive Tube Threaded Left Hand It Won`t Come Loose From The Torque. I`m Watching The Sprint Race. Later. Ron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Fairracing I Wonder The Dating On That Picture, With The Generator Friction Drive ? They Say There Are No Ariginal Thoughts Left !! Thanks For Posting The Picture, Interesting. Radiator Clamps Are Strong And Have A Lot Of Use`s . Holding Gas Tank. Later. Ron

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have no idea what happened to the post I made before but the threads run counter clockwise to tighten the nut and the engine turns clockwise so it should work out fine. I just cant seem to find a reverse treaded nut to fit the drive shaft in case I lose this one.

Oh well I can always figure something out. I expect I will know in time to look for the drive wheel if it falls off.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think I might get brave and ride my bike to the automotive fastener place to see if I can't have them match it up. I had no idea that there were special bolts that were threaded backwards. I thought that a regular bolt would work just turn it the wrong way.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I'm going to ask this here because I expect we are the only ones who deal with the dual line gas tanks. Since the chain saw has its gas cap missing and since I had a spare tank around, I think I'll just mount it on the bike.

My question is: Since the lines have probably been out of the tank long enough that new ones are going to leak a little anyway. What can I get to dope them to prevent leaks.I expect that the gas line entry point will be below the gas level so subject to gravity leaks.

I know I need new lines and an in tank filter, thought if there was something I would just pick it up at the same time.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
The Left Hand Thread Is Opposite Of The Engine Rotation To Keep It On, If You Could Find A Hobby Guy With A Lathe Etc In His Garage He Could Help You A Lot With These Small Challanges. It Would Be Interesting To Him And Shouldn`t Charge Much And Would Save You On Gas. I Don`t Know If Auto Parts Store Could Help. A Bolt Place Like "fastenal" Could Order It If They Don`t Have It. Take Motor With You Or The Clutch Hub So They Can Match Up The Thread. Just A Nut Still Leaves A Challenge. The Hobby Guy Could Easily FABRICATE THE DRIVE HUB AND DIFFERENT SIZES FOR SPEED AND POWER. I BELIEVE YOU LIKE TO DO IT ALL YOURSELF, BUT A CRAFTSMAN IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS TOOL rotfl I MENT TOOLS !! ^5 I HOPE THIS HELPS. RON

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I know my limitations and there are plenty just ask the wife. My neighbor offered to loan me a welder, but I chose not to accept. He welds it and it stays together. I have no desire to find my drives in parts all over town and I would if I did it.

If automotive fastener doesnt have a bolt, I'm going to have my hub welded to the galvanized plumbing nipple and just bolt it on. I would prefer to bolt on a drive I already have but I can live with the other as well.

Now any ideas on the gas tank goop?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Is there a fuel line somewhere smaller than an 1/8 inch. I had to change out the gas tank on the chain saw and the 1/8 lines look awfully loose to me.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Update on the 25cc weedwhacker bike. I had my first definite problem. I have had a few that I couldn't tell what was happening I was so close to the end of the ride. This one I know was the engine overheating.

It would not take gas. First of all I am dead tired tonight I was working on the chainsaw bike all day. So I should not have even taken the bike out. I ran it wot the whole time and it over heated after about a mile and a half. Left me struggling to get it home.

The chainsaw bike Is almost finished so I will be testing it tomorrow most likely. Sometime in the future I will go back to the weed whacker. I want to relocate the gas tank it is blocking the airflow. I also might build a scoop to get more air to the cylinder fins. I already relocated the gas tank on the chainsaw and removed the cylinder cover from it to allow more air flow.

I need to reset the throttle control and then wire a kill switch. I also need to figure the best way to operate the choke. I think the darn thing is wired to the throttle. Wot and the choke is off. Throttle at idle and the choke is full. I'm to have to figure it out then make some alterations.

Anyway now you know the 25cc will overheat so I'm going to get back to it later.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay I went from 25cc weed whacker to 33cc chainsaw. When I finish testing if it is a little hot what we really need for friction drive and it appears to be. Someone not me needs to try a 31cc weed whacker engine. Wife says divorce city if one more bike shows up here.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Deacon You Need To Promote Your Wife To Test Driver !! Just Follow Her With The Car In Case Of Trouble. ;) DON`T BE KEEPING ALL THE FUN TO YOURSELF, YOU NEED TO SHARE (^) GIVE HER HALF THE MONEY YOU ARE SAVING ON GAS. :ride2: UNCLE RON

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
We Removed 19 Trees For A 84 Year Old Fellow. I Was There This Morning, He Had A 20 Inch Shifter Bike On The Rear Patio With Flat Tires. Asked Him Wat He Was Going To Do With It. He Said Dump , Take It. While I Was Putting It In My Pickup He Brings Another One Out Of The Garage, Take This One Also !! Now If Vizan Motors Would Just Send Me My Long Over Due Tle 43 Cc Mitsibushi Engine That I Paid For 6-6-08 $202. I Would Be A Happy Camper !! :( This Waiting Reminds Me Of The Old Saying; A Watch Pot Never Boils !!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
sounds like you will be ready when it gets here.

The old huffy cruiser I am using for the 33cc chain saw has a twenty inch wheel on the back and a 26 on the front. It has the crank from a 20incher and chainring from the 26inch I think. I'm not sure about that. The twenty inch crank has a shorter throw and makes it easier for me to pedal while keeping the seat low. That allows me better balance when stopped.

Anyway let us know how the build goes/.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Finally, The Second Motor I Bought On The I Net Came Today. :) Cute Little Thing. 49cc Pocket Bike Motor. Using It On Friction Drive. Back In May The First Thing I Ordered Was 10 Of The Electric Motorbike Friction Drive 1 1/4" Od Rollers With The One Way Bearing. You All Know I`ll Have To Build 10 Friction Drives.. Can`t Waste Them Drive Rollers. The Spark Plug Came Without The Top Nut. Wire Not Making Good Contact. The Plug Number A7tc . I Looked Up The Numbers Recomended Here On The Forum.. I Miked The Plug At The Threads 3/8 Inch Diamiter. Is The Ngk B5hs A Small Thread Like That ?? When You Pull The Rope Starter With The Plug Out, It Still Builds Some Compression Because Of The Small Spark Plug Hole. (^) HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME . 49CC SHOULD BE PLENTY OF POWER FOR FRICTION DRIVE.. WILL HAVE TO EASE INTO THE THROTTLE TOO KEEP FROM EXPOSING THE TUBE !!! rotfl CAN I GET A STEEL BELTED RADIAL FOR THE REAR. :confused: I STILL HAVE NOT GOT MY MOTOR FROM VIZAN MOTORS. HE IS NOT ON EBAY BUT I DID PAY WITH PAY PAL. A BUNCH OF USED BIKES ON CRAIGS LIST RITE HERE IN PENSACOLA.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If it doesn't have a clutch and my new 33cc chainsaw doesn't (now), think about mounting it with a spring for tension and a rod under the engine to use as a lever from the seat to ease the motor down onto the rear wheel. You can also lift it at stop signs to keep from killing the engine. How much of a spring, you will have to work out.

I think you wont have to worry about the tire too much. I have only burned one to the case and that was because I let the motor sit and spin before I figure out the drop lever concept. I also have a whole room filled with used tires from donar bikes i have bought over the last year.