Top end is gone below 70º

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Today was overcast, damp and chilly, perfect weather for a ride except the bike ran like crap. When it's above 70º the China Girl runs like a dream, I'm hitting 25 and not even at WOT just minutes after staring her up cold in the morning. Today it was barely 60º and damp, I had to hold the throttle wide open to maintain 25 and on a downhill run that I've hit 32+ going down I was only able to hit a top speed of 26 and it was like the engine was losing power, back off the throttle and the power would come back. On warm days it doesn't act like that until I'm above 30.

Should I move the clip on the needle down a notch and run a little richer now that it's getting colder?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
wrap it in a blanket. or maybe stick a thermometer in the spark plug hole and see if it has a cold. if it does, pour some cough medicine in the tank...

sorry, i've been drinking.

that's weird. these motors run so hot normally, you'd figure colder weather would be better for them. maybe try a hotter plug? less oil in the mix? if it's running cold, wouldn't you want to lean it out instead of enriching it? smaller plug gap?

everything i think of keeps bringing me back to the blanket. how cold was it?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Cold enough that as soon as I found civilization again after getting lost for an hour I had to stop for coffee. lol

Already using Opti-2 @ 100 to 1 so putting less oil in isn't an option. Low end is exactly the same, pulls right up but then just hangs at 25, let off the throttle at all and the speed starts dropping off.

I'll try dropping the clip a notch and see how it runs tomorrow since it's supposed to be another crappy day.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
With lower temps. you will get an INCREASE in the amount of oxygen in your mix.
HOWEVER, with rising humidity, you will get LESS oxygen in the mix.

Usually, cold damp weather will lean them out. The extra water in the air pretty much over rides the small amount of added oxygen from the cooler temps.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Well with opening up my muffler a bit (see silverbear's glowing muffler thread) and moving the E clip to the top notch seems to have fixed this. Rode 54 miles in 60º weather and it ran great. Even finally broke in and smoothed out 10 miles into that run.

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
Learning something new everyday !

I have to admit these little engines are a bit different then the larger bore motorcycles im used to -- thanks for the correction (and not being an ass about it, im just learning ! )

/bow in respect

/thumbs up