First Build friction drive

GoldenMotor.com

Tom Bartlett

Jul 13, 2008
North Alabama
Ron,
Thanks for the request. After I retired (and Zipcycle had closed), I still built a few bikes for friends, an and one requested that I help him add power to his "John Deere" bicycle. It was so much fun that I had to build one for myself. This should be in photo #1. I have since added a miniature square bale of hay on the luggage rack. The second one is for parades (where I don't have to balance it) is a sidecar version that I am still working on adding a body to the sidecar frame. This should be in photo #2. The 3rd photo should be a close-up of the original drive system with the covers removed.
Still having fun in my 70s.
Tom Bartlett

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Tom, Thanks For The Pics. They Are In My Zip File Now. If You Find More To Share, You Know Where We Are !! My Zip Has Been Sitting In A Corner For A Year. Elmo And You Are Getting My Ears To Perk Up. I Have Been Inpressed With The Zipcycle Since I Bought It. Ron

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Hello All,
My buddy Mike Got my new friction roller finished. He also made a cup for the bearing on the other end of the roller. We fabbed a mount for the bearing and got it setup on the bike. looks like I am back in business again. The first two pics are of the roller and bearing and cup. The third pic is of the completed bearing arm minus the spring holder on top.

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Got the engine on the bike and the roller tried yo unscrew while bump starting. We put two setscrews in the roller and loctited it to the crank. I will find out tomorrow if this works. Now I have to rig a means to lift the engine off the wheel, a kill switch, and a throttle.

Attachments

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Very cool! I have been itching to try recument but not sure howthe local cops react. First I need to build a bike because the commercial ones are way expensive.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Very cool! I have been itching to try recument but not sure howthe local cops react. First I need to build a bike because the commercial ones are way expensive.
These easyracer clones are pretty easy to build. there is a site on the web that lays it out pretty well. I will look up the url if you are interested.
Elmo

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Elmo, Sent You A Pm. Now After Coffee I Looked At Pics Again. Put A Radiator Clamp Around The Spring Loaded Pull Starter Pawls, So The Stay In Place. Use Long Set Screws To Contac Them. Maybe Machine A Bit Off End Of Roller To Position The Set Screws Closer To Pawls.?? Ron .cvlt1

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Ron
Thanks for the suggestions. All ideas are welcome. I think that I am going to try it as it is now with safety wire from the pawls to the set screws and see how it works out.
Elmo

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
These easyracer clones are pretty easy to build. there is a site on the web that lays it out pretty well. I will look up the url if you are interested.
Elmo
Thanks for the clue. Couple minutes on Google came up with this site:

WISIL HPVers projects and rumors page

I had no idea this kind of info was out there. Not only Easyracer clones but plans, photos, and detailed technical info on all kinds of DIY recumbents and similar projects. Thanks again.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Well I have finally got it all done except for cleanup and painting. I made the throttle linkage from a brake housing, cable and brake lever. I silver soldered the end of the weedeater cable onto the brake cable and mounted it on the right side of the handlebar. I can use the brake and throttle at the same time so that worked ok. I made the mechanism to lift the motor off the wheel out of stuff I had laying around. The lever is made of 1"X 1/8" strap. the pivot is made from a hardware store teenut and a clamp made from old tubing and barrel nuts. The detents are made with the same type clamps and strap.
Elmo

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
.shft.I took Ol Snaggletooth for a three mile shake down ride and the little Welbro carb developed an air leak which made the mixture too lean and it overheated just before I got home. Peddled the last 1/4th mile and swapped out the carb for another one and it started raining.
Took it out for a longer ride yesterday and everything seems to work o.k. Guessing it seems to do about 20mph or a little better on the flats. Needs some help from the pedals on really steep hills. I guess the gas mileage to be over 100mpg. I did a little over twenty miles on that trip and nothing came loose, broke, or malfunctioned. I will report back when I get some more miles in. I am very satisfied with it.
Elmo

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
.trkI have about 100 miles on the bike now. Every thing is staying together. I took a nice ride this morning into town and had a cup of coffee with my sister and brother. It was kinda cool when
i left home, 45 degrees. On the way home I got on the Natchez Trace and met a bike tourist type going the other way and he gave me a big smile and wave. Later on I met one on the Lance Armstrong wannabe's only got barely a wave in return to my greeting. Guess I should expect that, I have three strikes against me with that crowd, jeans & shirt, recumbent bike and a motor. Went by the bank drive thru on the way home and the ladies inside all came and looked out the window. Folkes here aren't used to MAB's. AFIK there is only one other in town, a cruiser with a china girl motor pulling a trailer. It sure is a blast to ride this thang and get all the puzzled looks fron the driving public. It was worth the effort to build it. Now I hope the weedwhacker motor will hold up for a while.
Elmo