EZM MaxTorque clutch pre-mature wearing?

GoldenMotor.com

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
I'm worried about the clutch in my EZM Q-matic.

The unit is fairly new, purchased in May 2014, installed and running early June 2014. Bike has a HS142 engine with maybe 150 miles on it, and it runs wonderfully. Today I noticed a faint squeaking sound when the clutch was engaging, and when I removed the black plastic belt cover I found what was to me an alarmingly thick layer of very fine gray dust inside the housing. I can only assume is from the pads on the clutch. I'm as gentle as I can be with the clutch; I don't use the engine when taking off (always pedal a bit to get up to speed, then smoothly rev the engine up until I feel it engage) and it always seems to engage smoothly and once it is engaged it performs very well. However, I can't shake the feeling that I'm hurting it - I haven't calculated my gear ratio and my drive train is sort of complex, so trying to calculate it is sort of confusing. This weekend I'll try to find a number.

Is it normal for the MaxTorque clutch in a Q-matic to make a fair amount of dust? What would a "healthy amount" (if there is such a think) of clutch dust be? I've been all over google and the forum search tool and was unable to find anything conclusive for the MaxTorque clutch and/or issues about dust... Am I just getting worried over nothing?

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
take as many pictures of everything as you can an post them an list the number of teeth
on all of your chain drives from the engine all the way to the wheel

eg, sprocket off ezm = X amount of teeth all the way to the sprocket driving the wheel = X

it'll be easier with all this info for someone to help you

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Are you sure the "dust" isn't from the belt? The EZM clutch has a belt primary drive with a sprocket on the bike side of the transmissionat the rear with chain final drive to the rear wheel. I would think that the dust you are seeing inside the plastic housing is from belt wear. Don't know what's "normal" but mine had some. I've been using mine for several years now and it seems OK.
SB

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Q-Matics kicking off dust is quite normal, it's definitely more noticeable with the cover on. I recommend finding some dielectric grease and using it on your belt.
It will extend the life of the belt and prevent most the rubberized dust. Dielectric grease is a belt's best friend.

Also, the only way you can "hurt" your clutch is by riding around below lockup speed all the time. Until you get back to us with your gearing numbers and average cruise speed, we can't eliminate that as a factor. But really, Q-Matics are dang tough. Don't be afraid to gas it off the line!

Lube that belt and treat her a little rougher, it'll be fine :D

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
Q-Matics kicking off dust is quite normal, it's definitely more noticeable with the cover on. I recommend finding some dielectric grease and using it on your belt.
It will extend the life of the belt and prevent most the rubberized dust. Dielectric grease is a belt's best friend.
Interesting, hadn't heard of that before. I googled 'dielectric grease' and read all about it, and "belt chirp" could very well be the sound I hear sometimes when taking off! I examined the belt in the light today (pics on the way) and it looks alright, no signs of any damage or uneven wear, but it definitely shows signs of use. There's an auto parts store a few blocks over, think I'll pay 'em a visit tomorrow. [/QUOTE]

Also, the only way you can "hurt" your clutch is by riding around below lockup speed all the time. Until you get back to us with your gearing numbers and average cruise speed, we can't eliminate that as a factor. But really, Q-Matics are dang tough. Don't be afraid to gas it off the line!

Lube that belt and treat her a little rougher, it'll be fine :D
Lots of googling turned up a .exe for calculating gear ratios - looks promising, I'll try to dig into it tomorrow!

dance1