! PFFST ! Phoenix Felt Four Stroke Twin :)

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I will need to get a longer belt. I thought I might get away with it, but no. I have a "Drainzit" installed and it was hitthing the rear step of the motor mount. I thought removing a bunch of metal there would get me the room I needed but no way.. Another 2 hours of grinding and cursing wasted.
I know this picture was from long ago in the thread, but was wondering the belt has those notches. Is it just so that the belt fits more smooth around the smaller of the two pulleys? Or is it that the pulleys have teeth?

If the first was right, where did you get that type of belt. I have a 1 an 7/8 inch pulley I may want to use that kind of belt.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39722&page=8 post 76 on page 8 your photo

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
:eek: Back from the dead! The kind of belt is called a cogged belt Granger sells em any LARGE lawn power equipment shop should have em or know where to get them. YES the cogs are just bits taken out (actually made without it ) so that the belt can make tight turns around small pulleys without bunching up or some such thing. No teeth on the pulleys. EXAMPLES: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0dr9f Ask for AX series belts

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
It's alive! this Thread is Alive! Run Run! for life (LOL!)
Get some pic of the Mean Green Machine and post em Velo Haven't seen the Hulk in a while

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Well! A year has come and gone. Thought I'd update a bit. Last Barrett-Jackson show I talked with John King from Phantom bikes. After twisting ( and TWISTING ) his arm AND comtting to buying a bunch O stuff for future projects; I managed to talk him into selling me a Twin exhaust. He usually only makes em for his finished bikes. Its on now and so is a new 4G transmission. I really liked the EZM for cruising and it certainly was faster but the 4G accelerates better and that's what I need for squirting across buisy streets in this city. PICTURES!dance1

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
The 4G is, of course, converted to belt drive al la the Chief build with a similar springed tensioner. I also; after having broken 2 of the plastic belt guards cut one out of cold rolled steel and had my friend weld it togather. and paint with British racing green. Its more blue than the bike. Its more an emerald green but its close enough. while I was at it I replaced the aging fuel lines. This time I wrapped the glossy 1/4 inch line with friction tape to dull it down. This is the stuff used on hockey sticks and baseball bats to help get a grip on em. I also changed out the SBP air cleaner with a brass velocity stack for Dan at Taylar bikes in Victorville Ca. little internal clip holds a "filter" inside. Just good enough to keep rocks and humming birds out!

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
OOOHHH! The Big Bad Green Machine is back on the streets Nice Job and the dual exhaust is an XLNT choice how is it doing for you ? I see the Lepper Primus is aging nicely as well Man I like this Bike!

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I've been disapointed with the speed of the bike since the twin exhaust went on and all the monkeying arround with the gearing and it still not pulling full RPM. I was blaming the new exhaust. I pulled the motor AGAIN the other day to try one last gearing change, and on a lark decided to check the valve lash... HOLY CRAP! No wonder I had no power; rockers were loose as a goose and WAY out of spec . Once I get it back togather Im betting its as fast as ever.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Good luck getting everything all tight and Be Careful Bro once you've got it back right I heard those G forces can cause serious damage to the body.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Took a chance and reasembeled with a 3" pulley on the output side of the trans. Turns out I was right for a change. :) after adjusting the valve lash I now have full RPM's back and normal power. Cruising speed is back around 33 MPH on the same speedo as before So I only lost about 3 MPH and my takeoff from a stop is much improved over the EZM trans. I must say the EZ was a very nice cruising trans; but I need brisk acceleration to keep some level of safety getting across the buisy streets around here.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
As requested. Closeups of the 4G converted to 3" pulley / belt drive. As with the Chief build; I had to make a collar to hold the pulley and the captured key that is usually on the output chain sproket. I also had to use some shim stock as the inside diameter ( the bit closested to the jackshaft bearing ) is not exactly 5/8 and without shiming the pulley would wobble all over.

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OK. Last post on this one for a while. At least till I figure something new to do with it. I got from Phantom Bike a set of defusers for the exhaust. They sas it quiets down the exhaust note. I thought Ya right....But, its nifty lookin. It actually WORKS Even though their are baffels in the "mufflers" it still has a decent bark but the little revolver stylie inserts break up the noise somehow and and it seems noticably quieter; and I kinda like the finished look it gives. Word of warning: If you have an OLD Phantom single exhaust these inserts will need modification. Seems Phantom changed the ID of the pipe they use for there exhausts. and these inserts would not fit / insert into my 3 year old Phantom single side exhaust. Im sure they work with the new ones.

Attachments

OK. Last post on this one for a while. At least till I figure something new to do with it. I got from Phantom Bike a set of defusers for the exhaust. They sas it quiets down the exhaust note. I thought Ya right....But, its nifty lookin. It actually WORKS Even though their are baffels in the "mufflers" it still has a decent bark but the little revolver stylie inserts break up the noise somehow and and it seems noticably quieter; and I kinda like the finished look it gives. Word of warning: If you have an OLD Phantom single exhaust these inserts will need modification. Seems Phantom changed the ID of the pipe they use for there exhausts. and these inserts would not fit / insert into my 3 year old Phantom single side exhaust. Im sure they work with the new ones.
Nice look!