Question

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Upgrade" typically means to replace parts/components with a superior part/component.

I have to assume you're referring to those who say to "upgrade" such things as fasteners (bolts, nuts, etc). Some feel that the kit supplied fasteners are inferior but experience has proved that with proper torquing (tightening) that the kit parts will work well. Overtightening will cause failure of any fastener or threads regardless of who made it or where it was made.
"Upgrade" means just what it says; moving up to a better quality or grade of the item.

I hope this answers your question.

Tom

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Yep, just what 2door said. So, if I upgrade my suspension, and I get a springer front suspension, the bike should ride better. You can upgrade your exhaust from that normal exhaust to the expansion chamber, the bike should run better. Upgrade the brakes, the carb, upgrade the hardware (better nuts and bolts), upgrade the seat...

The fun thing about these bikes, is you can buy a crappy Walmart beach cruiser for 100 bucks, and put 800 bucks into it in motor, upgrades.... It's a part of the fun of building these things. And for the most part, upgrades are pretty cheap, under 50 bucks (usually)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just beware you can "upgrade" to a crappy springer from end, that will make the bike handle worse, or even be dangerous. Or you can "upgrade" to a improperly installed "upgrade" and the bike will run worse.

Like a boost bottle...