Nantong 2012 49cc,engine kit,clutch slipping

GoldenMotor.com

spanner

Feb 1, 2011
Australia
Hi all I have bought a Nantong 2012 49cc,engine, 4 stroke kit, it runs a double chain gearbox, to a 11 tooth freewheel sprocket with a 44 tooth rear sprocket at wheel. its mounted into a 26 inch frame and rims.
The centrifical clutch is slipping way too much. I can raise the rear wheel and hold it with my hand ,while opening the throttle (wide) and only slight resistance is felt over the entire rev range. I spoke to my supplier about the situation and his response was, pedal like mad for 50 meters then throttle on and enjoy the ride, this is an unbelivable situation, riding in the suburbs would be a nightmare, and forget about the hills. Has anyone found a remedy to this situation. ?

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
The remedy for most situations like this on our China sourced bike products is to diassemble and see what is causing it. I'd take the gearbox off and clean the clutch and inspect. Only three things come to mind. Part of it is frozen, It has no woodriff key and is spinning on the shaft, or it has oil//grease on it. All require removal and inspection to check. Your supplier can't help until he knows what is wrong.

Last edited:

spanner

Feb 1, 2011
Australia
Hey thanks for the imput, Yes I will inspect the clutch system, I wanted to get as much info as I can before taking off the gearbox,not wanting to void any warranty by doing so.

spanner

Feb 1, 2011
Australia
Hi all, well I removed the hoot gearbox, checked the clutch for correct operation, inspected and cleaned the clutch area. (tapered shaft) when looking at the bell it was noticed that only half depth of the bell had a rub mark around the inside perimeter from the clutch linings, did some depth measuring and sure enough the bell doesnt sit far enough over the linings. it could sit alot further over the linings (about 10mm)with room to spare, but there is no way to adjust around this to correct the situation.

spanner

Feb 1, 2011
Australia
Is there a replacement gearbox ,cvt,or other system to get me away from the hoot double chain gearbox, as I just heard from the owner that the gearbox has cracked the casing, engine is the same as the huasheng that has the tapered shaft for the clutch, not the 5/8 shaft.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
There are only a few gear boxes for the tapered shaft CC version of the HS motor. The double chain, which I own and have had little problem with. The real hoot gear box which has gears instead of chain, I have not seen these in awhile. And the older Grubee G4 belt drive which came in a CC version, now no longer made. Also Dax has a single #35 chain that is setup for the HS. Most of the newer HS are the 5/8 shaft as well as most of the gear/belt drives sold.
You night have spring problems with that clutch. If its slipping then they are too tight and are not allowing the clutch to open up and grab the bell. Try different springs or buy a whole new clutch altogether. Duane at Dax can get you both I'm pretty sure.